5.0 out of 5 stars The most helpful book I've ever owned!
This book was the ultimate guide in helping my husband and I make this important decision. With all of the pros that come with a little adorable baby also come a lot of cons, such as late night feedings and pediatrician appointments. With all of these factors, one can certainly lose a lot of sleep (and not by practicing either!)

The introduction is about 6...
Published on April 29, 2005 by Medha

2.0 out of 5 stars Outdated and frustrating
I've been struggling with the decision of whether to have a child, and thought this would help me work through things. I was so disappointed with this book, as it seems overly reliant on two sources of data, and make broad(and embarrassing/intellectually lazy) generalizations about the fears women and men have regarding becoming a parent. I wanted to throw the book across...
Published on May 3, 2009 by C. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool, December 1, 2013
This review is from: The Parenthood Decision (Paperback)
Good book to walk you through the decision of becoming a parent. It will not make the decision for you, but it will help! Passed it along to a friend who is thinking of conceiving. Good tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Parenthood Decision, March 6, 2013
This review is from: The Parenthood Decision (Paperback)
I perused this book before I sent it to my daughter. I think it helped her to decide what to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars The author was quite biased and didn't think about the issue deeply enough, November 27, 2006
This review is from: The Parenthood Decision (Paperback)
I read this book when I was trying to make a decision about whether or not to have kids, and it did not help me at all. I found that she did not give very many reasons why one would *want* children. She only gave reasons for why one wouldn't want children. I think it was because she had not reflected on the question enough. Reflecting on this now, I think one great reason is a spiritual one: you want to pass your values down to your children as part of the greater goal of the development of humanity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, January 9, 2007
This review is from: The Parenthood Decision (Paperback)
I bought this book before marrying a man who had two children and had been through a nasty divorce. As a result, he didn't want more children. This book along with step mothering books was informative and helpful in giving me insight into myself and whether or not I could live without children of my own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Negative Book, January 5, 2011
TooCute (Orange County) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Parenthood Decision (Paperback)
This book was very negative. I know people sometimes need that, but I was looking for reasons TO have children, not reasons why I shouldn't. I already know all the reasons why I shouldn't. In the book she states some people feel that children are a lot of responsibility without a lot of rewards. That's exactly how perceive it to be. I wanted help trying to see the REWARDS. This book did not show any of them. So, since this book was so one-sided, I am still looking for help to show me the rewards of children.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Parenthood Decision : Deciding Whether You Are Ready ..., April 4, 2000
Tricia Saumweber (St. Paul, Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Parenthood Decision (Paperback)
I think this is fantastic book, best for single women before getting pregnancy. Because there is several issues that singles never think about the child development itself. For example, the similar question in the book stated how do we react to the child's questions or their ages' behaviors. Because it is impossible to see the child's future and mind. The child's life will be nearly total different from parent's life when the child grows. I think all (singles, lesbians, gay, unmarried) should READ before forwarding any decision. I am GLAD that I haven't started to have a baby of my own yet. But one negative is that I am a bit disappointed because myself deaf, and not say anything about other deaf women who attempt or experinced this way. I really enjoyed reading and gave me to "think" ahead of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, August 7, 2002
Anne Downey (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Parenthood Decision (Paperback)
Sadly, the author of this book presents herself as an authority in the baby-decision making realm. And in some ways, she may be, having been a family therpist for over 35 years.
However, this single woman tells us in the introduction that she made a decision *not* to have a baby after asking herself the questions she asks of the reader in her book. So she does not possess the authority and insight of one who's been not only through the decision-making process, but also ultimately baby-bearing process.
What does comes across is her belief that almost no-one is capable of being a good parent, especially if one were to follow her guidelines. For example, in order to be a good parent, in this author's opinion, one must have enough money not just for clothing and food, but also for summer camp, vacations, dance lessons, and private school. This, in addition to being an unrealistic expectation, is simply classist and highly inappropriate.
Don't waste your time trying to work with this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars What about overpopulation?, June 16, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Parenthood Decision (Paperback)
Thin, vapid pop psychology that does not even mention such concerns as global overpopulation and the ensuing ecological collapse of our planet. The decision whether or not to have a child is the biggest decision most of us will ever make, and it requires the thoughtful person to consider factors other than their own small life. This book won't help you with the bigger issues. Very superficial. Check out Bill McKibben's Maybe One or the Society for Voluntary Human Extinction for more provocative, subversive food for thought.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Parenthood Decision
The Parenthood Decision by Beverly Engel (Paperback - May 18, 1998)
$19.00 $16.02