Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 26, 2013
"Parenting: Illustrated With Crappy Pictures" is an absolute blast of a read. For those of you new to Amber Dusick, she's a mom who writes and illustrates the wildly popular Crappy Pictures website, where she shares candid, pull-no-punches, funny stories about parenthood, complete with crude drawings. She's taken about 30% of the classic old material from her site and combined it with 70% new material for this book. And let me tell you: It's a hoot.

I devoured this book in one sitting. As a parent myself, the stories made me laugh-out-loud and remember those times when it seemed that poo, pee, and feeding were the three most important things in the world. As parents it seemed our entire lives revolved around them. I believe Dusick's stories will resonate with parents everywhere, with subjects like trying to juggle feeding an infant while eating your own dinner, sleepless nights with nursing children and snoring husbands, and trying to regain some intimacy with the kids nearby.

The drawings are crude, even by South Park standards, but enhance the stories since it's obvious that the person who experienced the story is actually drawing it. Interestingly, the drawings and stories can each stand on their own, but create such a better hilarious portrait when combined. If you'd like to get a preview of what her style is, I strongly suggest that you check out her blog online. You just might get hooked and keep coming back for more.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened, written by the Bloggess Jenny Lawson, is another book worth looking at. This best-seller is also based on a wildly popular blog and is a fun, fast read. Fans of Crappy Pictures will probably enjoy this one too.
on April 9, 2013
This book and her blog could be used as a litmus test for whether or not a person is ready to be a parent; if you think she's exaggerating & your kids will be very different - not ready for kids, if you're highly amused and rightfully scared - ready as you'll ever be. What I love most about Amber Dusick's writing is that she doesn't present her readers with a glorified highlight reel of parenting; she is truthful about all things gross and exhausting without wallowing in self-pity or martyrdom. She doesn't pretend that raising kids isn't tough & messy, but it is also perfectly clear that she loves being a mom.
on May 22, 2013
It was a quick read, sat down and read it in two hours. I laughed so hard that I was afraid I would wake my 18 month old. There are so many things I loved about this book, but the honesty was the best part. The author is so clever, the stories so genuine and true to life, the experiences so accurate to being a mom of a small child that this has quickly become one of my favorite books. If you have a friend or family member who recently had a baby, out who had a toddler or young child, definitely give them this book!
on December 13, 2013
I absolutely love this authors blog and find her to be so funny and spot on about the ups and downs of parenting. Her drawings are great and the commentary is even better. I preordered this book as soon as it was available and was not let down at all when it arrived. Most of it is new material, not stuff just pulled off the blog.

Check out her blog and this book for sure! I love Crappy Boy and Crappy Baby!
on April 5, 2013
This was the perfect treat for me to unwind with after putting the kids to bed-and still get to bed at a decent hour myself! Lots of laugh-out-loud moments & new stories! I ordered a second copy for a baby-shower gift! Can't wait for her to publish another!
on June 17, 2016
This book literally had me in the floor laughing. I'm not sure if it's because I have someone else going through the same thing as me or if I just need someone to understand! Great read and enjoyable!

It's not just you mom... We all go through it! Lol
on March 29, 2013
I'm a big fan of this blog and the book was not a disappointment. I think people without kids would also find the antics of Crappy Boy and Crappy Baby entertaining but I have extra appreciation for the stories which make me laugh because I've been there. Even the mundane is funny through her eyes.

The only reason for four stars is that I've seen a few of the stories before on the blog (for free...) But they're some of my favorites so it'd probably be a shame to leave them out for new fans. The one on not sleeping with details of how the kids and cats take turns waking her up all night? Side-splitting.
on April 5, 2013
I have been a long-time follower of the Crappy Pictures blog, so I was very excited when she announced a book. More to love!

Well, I have not been disappointed. Amber so accurately portrays so many of the situations that we face as parents, in a manner that isn't only observant, but stinking hilarious. As a friend and I sat and flipped through this book the other day, we were both in tears from laughing so hard.

I believe I will just keep it in my purse (really, my kid's diaper bag) and use it as a de-stressing tool from here on. That way, I don't have to worry about getting any kind of prescription meds. :-)

Seriously, buy it, you won't be disappointed. No matter where you are in your parenting journey, you will find some way to relate to and laugh with all of these stories!!
on October 22, 2014
Every parent can relate to these stories. Its not oh how cute, its funny, laugh out loud style- oh crap I can totally see that or been there done that.
Its not a how to book, its a heres what happened and what we did.
My wife and I sit back and read selections of it after the kids go to bed and just unwind thinking ok, its not just us experiencing these fun events.
on November 3, 2014
Amber brings laughs to all the painful parts of parenting with this hilarious book! I literally laughed until I cried the whole way through! I couldn't put it down! Every page I turned I had to run and find someone to show the hilarious story to! I can't wait till my friends have kids so I can pass it on! This is definitely a must read for all parents!