5.0 out of 5 stars A wise voice
Perhaps the most striking thing about Lucie Hemmen's book is the sense the reader gets that here is a person who truly likes teenage girls.

Published 23 months ago by Jesse Burgess MFT

1.0 out of 5 stars Kind of a Liberal mindset
Just not impressed. Couldnt finish the book because I was doing more eyerolling that taking in good advice. Almost excuses teenage behavior by calling it teenage behavior.......
Published 16 months ago by Lynn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wise voice, August 6, 2012
This review is from: Parenting a Teen Girl: A Crash Course on Conflict, Communication and Connection with Your Teenage Daughter (Paperback)

Authors of books on adolescence and parenting tend to be either pedantic about -or worse- hostile towards their subjects. Dr. Hemmen's friendly, reassuring style serves as a balm to the alienation that can arise between parents and daughters at the onset of adolescence. Of note is the fact that her examples are frequently oriented towards fathers - a group often marginalized in discussions of teen girls.

This book pairs the most commonsense of observations with current brain research. Many of her "scripts" for parents involve connecting the dots between healthy choices and positive outcomes. Dr. Hemmen exhibits a certain mastery in piecing out examples of positive direction in arenas like social networking or cell phone use. The discussion of hot button issues is among the best Ive seen. Her reassuring voice is at its apex as she differentiates between teen exploration and red flag behaviors.

As a clinician working with teens and a parent of an adolescent i found the most useful sections of the book to be those focusing on tools and resources. Dr. Hemmen seems to have an endless capacity for presenting dilemmas along with a variety of solutions. Thus we are "parented" as we read the book. Truly a wise voice and a welcome addition to the literature of parenting.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Did you know that driving you nuts is part of your daughter's healthy development?", August 5, 2012
Dr. Hemmen provides us with a wonderful combination of humor and heart. I found myself laughing throughout while being given tender insights to the nature and development of the teenage girl. I admit I had a lot of "Aha!" moments.
There's a sense of relief when she provides recognizable examples and says, "It's okay. This is normal. Try it this way and see what happens."
The book is thorough, easy to read, and easy to relate. It provides suggestions and encouragement with everything from conversations starters to taking care of oneself. A favorite chapter of mine addresses technology and social networking. `Taming the Tech Tiger' was a great chapter!
I picked up the book feeling some anxiety. I laid it down with more understanding and a feeling that this will all turn out okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars High praise, even from my teen daughter!, June 24, 2013
This book got the highest praise possible. My daughter who doesn't like much, said, "I love this book. It really gets me." After I read her sections of the book. Especially about needing a "crash zone" after putting it out there and holding it all together throughout the day. So much of this book helped me see the world through her eyes, which helps me be more patient and understanding. Good to realize, as it sometimes feels like she is attacking me, when in reality she is just having a coping flop. The author does seem to "get" teen girls so is able to find the right balance of, Don't let them keep up disrespectful behavior, and yet be compassionate and understanding so you can help them choose other ways to express themselves. I recommend this book for both parents and teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars No longer feeling lost and confused!, April 6, 2013
I could echo most of the other reviews. This book was so enlightening! I found my thoughts and feelings in this book, but what was great is that I found answers on what to do and what to say! Like someone else said, this is the child manual we should all have been given! Most of the other books I considered were more "researchy" as this has practical information and leaves out all the reasons why teenagers are the way they are and just tells you what to do. Definitely would recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Advice With Heart, October 18, 2012
As others have mentioned, Dr. Hemmen's obvious enjoyment of and appreciation for teen girls is evident throughout the book. She writes thoughtfully, respectfully, and with plenty of first-hand knowledge and humor as both a mother of and counselor to young women about the complexities of the teenage mind and experience. Both her voice and approach are accessible and "real" and she offers surprising insights into the web of triggers behind some of adolescents' most frustrating behavior--as well as why parents react to teen girls the way they do. As a former editor at Seventeen and Parents magazines, I can vouch that Dr. Hemmen is unique in her understanding of where both teens and parents are coming from in this rapidly changing techno-driven world--and in her ability to translate that into actionable, realistic advice. This book is a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Written for me!, July 4, 2013
At times, I felt like the author and I were in a counseling session. I appreciate her advice and now when I communicate with my daughter, I hear the words written, and I make adjustments. So far, so good!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific advice!, June 22, 2013
Helped a single mom and adoptive grandmother understand their 12 year old who was already thinking she was 18. Helping solve communications, attitudes especially in this tech age, with the bottom line still being limits that we both grew up with. Dr. Hemmen has a delightful writing style and I found it hard to put the book down. Her examples were "spot on".

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me to improve my relationship with my teen, October 31, 2012
I am a psychotherapist who specializes in working with teens. I found Ms. Hemmens's book to be exceptionally practical and inspiring. In this book she provides parents with a wealth of practical "tools" to effectively cope with some of the most challenging moods and behaviors typically exhibited by today's teens. I now use it as a reference book for when I get thrown off balance in parenting situations. I bought several copies for my family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book, February 21, 2014
Just echoing all of the other great reviews - the teen years are so hard for girls, and for the parents that care so much for those girls. The book is a gem -- it puts everything that's going on in context, helps you understand the big picture, and recognize that some of the "troubles" are just normal and even healthy. It doesn't just soothe -- it gets great practical advice for parents that makes a ton of sense. Parenting is the hardest and most important job that I have, and this book makes me a smarter and better parent…I'd highly recommend it to everyone with teen girls. Thank you Dr. Lucie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, December 4, 2013
Great book to read. Especially with all the things going on in a teenage girls live. I have learned a lot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›