5.0 out of 5 stars This helps a lot
Glad I stumbled across this book. My kids show an interest in comic books, but it's usually whatever comes with their Happy Meals --pretty random. This is a nice guide to books that I'm sure they'll love and, unlike Happy Meals, are good for them.
Published on May 21, 2012 by Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Presents a Lot of New Ideas but Skims Over the Popular Ones
The "Parent's Guide to the Best Kids' Comics" is a great idea. Many parent struggle with wanting to give their kids access to comics, either to further an interest visual design or else to foster an interest in reading from a young age. But maybe even moreso than other media, parents don't know which series might include content that want to keep out of their kids'...
Published 19 months ago by D. R. Jeanclerc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This helps a lot, May 21, 2012
This review is from: A Parent's Guide to the Best Kids' Comics: Choosing Titles Your Children Will Love (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable guide, May 21, 2012
As one of the editors of this book, I'm predisposed to like it, but I'm also the editor of Comics Buyer's Guide, a monthly magazine covering the comics and graphic novel field and have seen other attempts at such lists. None of them compare to what we've produced here, focusing on the essential graphic novels (and, more importantly, books that are in print) and offering leads to nearly 800 more such graphic novels if your children enjoy the 100 titles reviewed. On Free Comic Book Day, my fellow editor, Maggie Thompson, was able to help a parent in a comics shop who asked if there were additional books in one of the series spotlighted. While there weren't more volumes in that series available, Scott and Snow's recommendation of another series was invaluable to the father, who not only ordered that series from his retailer, but also a copy of the book. A copy should be on every parent's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed, May 21, 2012
My child has been recently diagnosed with ADD. The clinical psychologist strongly recommended she read comics to help her focus and improve her visual memory. Discovering this book has been a godsend to us. We've immediately seized on the authors' recommendations and, judging by the enthusiasm our child is showing for reading them, they've been excellent ones! This book is a treasure trove of great comics for kids. It's helping our child get excited about reading again, and at the same time helping her overcome her learning challenges. Thank you so much to the authors for putting together this helpful compilation of the best comics for kids (of all ages!).

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING REFERENCE SOURCE., July 7, 2012
As a children's librarian, one who often gets asked about graphic novels and comic books, I find this resource invaluable. In addition to the high-quality production value (four color, good quality paper, illustrations/covers for almost all titles mentioned), this book offers great information, such as giving a head's up to any themes/language some might find offensive or questionable and a list of educational themes. The book is an ideal size with just the right bibliographic information needed for librarians and educators. It's a breath of fresh air (and a smart move) to have this book authored by children's literature/library professionals, well respected in their field. Fills a definite gap in resources, and, on a personal note, is one of the nicest topical and quality books I've seen come out of Krause Publications (FW Media) in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful resource for choosing age-appropriate comics, June 1, 2012
If you've got a challenge getting your kid to read, this may be the help you're looking for. My 10-year-old daughter LOVES to read (novels, nature and animal books, comics - you name it), and she was so enthralled with this book I had to pry it out of her hands so I could review it.
She loved reading about so many comics that she's not familiar with and made a list of ones that we need to keep on the lookout for.
I love it because it has done all the groundwork for me when it comes to choosing appropriate comics for her to read.
I'd give it more stars if I could!

5.0 out of 5 stars There's more out there than Archie, May 21, 2012
I grew up reading basically nothing but Archie comics, which are great, and which I still love and which my children seem to enjoy. But I hoped that my kids would find others that interested them -- where to start? This book is the perfect jumping off point for a youngster who's shown an interest in comics and is not afraid to do some searching for the good stuff. And I like that many of these titles are ones I'd never heard of before - Little Mouse Gets Ready, Power Pack, Okie Dokie Donuts. All new to me! Here's hoping my kids will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Guide to Comics, May 10, 2012
Kids love to read comics. Which is why parents will love to read this book. It really is the perfect guide to buying comics, or graphic novels, for your young reader. The comic book world is filled with the unknown, and sometimes the unwanted. This is the first book I've found that provides a beautifully illustrated and easy-to-use format to help parents navigate through the trove of titles out there. Authors Scott Robins and Snow Wildsmith select a core collection of 100 age and reading appropriate graphic novels, along with hundreds of other suggested readings. The book is not only helpful but lovely. Each review features an excerpt from the graphic novel, making the book a lot of fun to read. I love that the authors have library backgrounds and that Jeff Smith, the creator of the much celebrated "Bone" series, is involved in the project. As he and his wife, Vijaya Iyer, write in the Foreword to the book, "Comics are such a good way to read that even relectant readers like them." Truth is, I'm a big kid at heart and I enjoy reading them too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point for parents, September 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book seems to be intended more for parents who are mostly unfamiliar with comic books, but have kids who are interested in them. However, it is also useful as a resource to adult fans of comics who are looking for more contemporary titles that are kid-friendly (since the bulk of current superhero comics are geared toward adults). The format is very user-friendly, with not only synopses of and excerpts from most of the comics, but awards the books have won, possible educational tie-ins, and similar books that kids may want to check out afterward. Books are organized alphabetically by suggested grade level (though I can't say I agree with all the grade "assignments"--for example, I see no reason to hold off on the Smurfs comics until kids are in fourth grade, and I've read some of the 6-8 grade books to my first-grader with no ill effects), with potentially troublesome content listed under a "Heads Up" section (though it seems a bit odd to include "kissing" as such in books geared toward middle schoolers, so I assume that such warnings are intended for parents to decide if they're appropriate for younger readers).

For the most part, the choices included are tough to argue with. As with any book of this sort, though, it's easy to nitpick what is included vs what has been omitted. One other reviewer has already noted the glaring omission of any of Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge work, which is pretty universally seen as one of the best comics, period, and not just for kids. (It's not a bias against older material, either; both Tintin and Little Lulu are included.) The choices of superhero comics included are a bit baffling; while it's pretty impossible to disagree with the inclusion of Jeff Smith's Shazam, the only other two "primary" choices are a reprint of Power Pack comics from the 80s and a Superman graphic novel by Geoff Johns that I've never read, not being a fan of his writing. (Ultimate Spider-Man and Batman: The Brave & The Bold are included as follow-ups.) Perhaps it's nitpicking, but, given the appeal of superheroes to kids and the sheer number of titles available (many of which aren't appropriate for kids), it seems to me that just a few more superhero titles could've been included, and not just from the "Big Two" publishers (I've known several kids who loved Atomic Robo, which is curiously absent despite the intense amount of potentially educational scientific and historical data woven into that series). There are also a few titles that seemed a bit questionable to me based on the excerpts included, but they're titles that I'm not familiar with and I don't want to dismiss them as low-quality based on single pages out of context.

I've found quite a few comics in this book that I was completely unaware of that I intend to check out (not just for my kids, either), despite having read comics for decades and thinking I was pretty well-versed. For a parent who isn't familiar with comics, this book would be close to indispensable (though I'd suggest looking through comic books that weren't included as well, since no volume of this sort could ever be complete and, necessarily, the books reviewed here are the tip of the iceberg).

5.0 out of 5 stars gift, February 6, 2014
given as a gift to an expectant father who is really into comic books so that he would be prepared to guide his new child along. he loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Choices, October 9, 2013
Sandy (Coral Gables, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
Just what I was looking for. A fantastic guide into the world of graphic readers for elementary school children!
Worth every penny.