5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
This is an excellent guide. I wish this had been around when I started playing (about 30 years ago). It would have been helpful for both me and my parents.

Published on December 16, 2004 by Randy Given

3.0 out of 5 stars From a kids point of view
Published on December 1, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars From a kids point of view, December 1, 2004
A Kid's Review
This review is from: A Parent's Guide to Chess (Paperback)
I know this book was writen more for a parent. So my parents got this book for them and the book Winning Chess Tournaments for Juniors for me. However, we both ended up reading both books and we both liked the Winning Chess Tournaments for Juniors Book a lot more because it covered a lot more important information and was simply more enjoyable to read. Don't missunderstand me, A Parents Guide to Chess is a fairly good book, it is just I feel the newer one has simuler material, and more and is just a lot better. I acually recommend getting both!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 16, 2004
Randy Given (Manchester, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Parent's Guide to Chess (Paperback)

It does not cover how to play chess, which is good. Seems like every other starter book insists on it. It would be inappropriate in a book like this, so I was glad to not have to skim through that again.

The book does an excellent job of covering all the other aspects of playing chess: learning, clubs, tournaments, Internet, competition, etc.

Excellent choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess can be more than a game, April 28, 2003
Paul R. Harker (East Lansing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Parent's Guide to Chess (Paperback)
Get the benefit of guidance from one of America's leading chess instructors. A Parent's Guide to Chess is about how to open up the world of chess for your child, whether they aspire to become a Grandmaster or if they simply want a way to meet kids with a common interest. The number of books on learning or playing chess is astronomical. (Get "Chess for Dummies" if that is what you're looking for.) This is the only book I know of on finding rewarding outlets for that knowledge. I would also highly recommend Dan Heisman's "Everyone's 2nd Chess Book" once your budding prodigy has learned the basics of the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Parents!, January 3, 2004
Chris A. Kantack (Huntsville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Parent's Guide to Chess (Paperback)
This is truly a unique and wonderful book. Parents and players new to the world of scholastic chess will find an incredible treasure trove of advice here on everything from tournament registration, to school club participation, finding a chess coach, and much more. ...
The main audience for this book may be the parents and kids but any scholastic tournament director, floor judge, or other volunteer active in the scholastic chess world will benefit greatly from reading this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just helps you find others to teach your kid., February 14, 2003
Gregor Bombek (Zalec, Slovenia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Parent's Guide to Chess (Paperback)
If you just want to teach and help your child learn and excel in chess, this book isn't something you want. I'm from Slovenia, Europe & I bought Dans book ... and I was very dissapointed. First off all, this book is deffenetly not for Europeans as it talks about organised chess in the US & Canada. The book is essentially about how to get your kid a coach, how to get him into a club, a tournament and something on chess etiquette. I found practically nothing useful on teaching chess to my kid. I was (and still am) looking for a book on how I should do the best job at teaching my kid to play chess. And this book just isn't what I hoped for... BTW, I'm a cca. 1750 ELO player...

A Parent's Guide to Chess
A Parent's Guide to Chess by Dan Heisman (Paperback - April 2, 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01