Customer Discussions > Poltergeist forum

Parents too young?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2012 2:45:26 PM PST
I just rewatched this movie over the weekend. During the scene where Craig T. Nelson is being interviewed by the paranormal investigators, he says that he is 32 and his wife is 31. However, the oldest daughter is supposed to be 16. Possible of course, but this didn't seem plausible to me. Did anyone else find this odd?

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:39:29 PM PDT
Meline says:
You aren't the only one at all! I could accept that they had their first child at 15/16 but I really started having problems with that (problems that don't defer me from LOVING this movie) when i noticed the part where they vaguely imply while they are getting high in their bedroom that Steven (Craig T. Nelson's character) had a diving career. Could that be possible if they had a small child in the later half of their teens? Still possible but not all that plausible. I think someone just didn't do the (simple) math correctly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:00:18 AM PST
Chilly Down says:
Yes! I first saw this movie when I was little, and I noticed right away that the mother's age would have made her about 14 when she got pregnant with their oldest child!

Weird!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 6:38:04 PM PDT
drkhimxz says:
Why not assume that he lied about their ages. Many people do, to make them seem younger or in this case, perhaps to make his achievements seem so much more striking (his boss says he is a super-salesman). Certainly he seemed to be older than 32 and we see her touching up her gray hair; let's assume that it came from the die washing out in the struggles not fright.
(Of course, I never really absorbed the bit about their ages, as, I would guess, was true of most viewers.)

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 1:42:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2013 11:10:27 AM PDT
Ellis Fowler says:
Having recently found out that the 30 year-old mother of one of the children in my daughter's pre-school class has a 16 year-old son (at the very least making her pregnant as a 14 year-old Freshman in high school), it's no longer that much of a stretch for me to believe that Diane (JoBeth Williams' character) has a 16 year-old daughter at the age of 32. I never doubted the math. Spielberg knew what he was doing when he included that line.

In addition, the comment made to Steven (Craig T. Nelson) was "Your diving days are over", which simply could have meant that he was a diver in high school.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Poltergeist forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Poltergeist
Poltergeist by JoBeth Williams (DVD - 2000)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (736)