Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

90%
10%
Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on July 13, 2010
This is a great book to launch you into the basics of "Park Flying" - recreational radio control flight. The author shares tips on flying, from hand launches to takeoffs and landings to aerobatics. Although not as detailed as "One Week to Solo" (which is a better book if you want to confidently start in the hobby - then buy this book next to see where you want to take your interest), this book's focus goes beyond first flights and covers more topics.

The book addresses different types of airplanes (tail draggers, three and four channel control, gliders, and the effects of different airfoil design), and offers clear diagrams of flight patterns and transmitter inputs. It is easy to read and comprehend, and each page is summarized by a "key point to remember" at the bottom. It's focus is on FLYING, not building models, choosing balsa or foam, or picking just the right motor or transmitter - there are already lots of books available on those topics. The book wastes no time taking you where you want to be - in the air. Important - it does not talk about helicopters at all.

If you are a park flyer, you may not have access to a club instructor, or a simulator. A "friend who used to fly" may not be your best help. The concepts in this book can be practiced with or without an instructor, on a simulator, or over the park. You could go and throw your airplane wildly around the sky, hoping for the best, or you can understand the importance of subtly controlling the flight - making your aircraft go where you want it to instead of trying to react to what it just did. If you want to be a better pilot, it would pay you to consider investing in this book. It is certainly cheaper than just one crash.

Happy landings!
on March 29, 2012
I have now had the book for a couple of weeks and I am slowing working my way thru the lessons in the book. As I have been working my way thru the book I have been practicing the lessons on my RealFlight G6 with different planes. So far I have found the instructions to be correct, but every model plane has it own personality. You will find that each type of plane will require different setting for throws (high & low rates), exponentials, center of gravity to your own taste, but once you have the plane set up correctly you will find that the instructions in this book are spot on. Please note that everyone will progress faster than others, but just keep at it. Personally I found right from the start that I was much better with 3D planes such as the Extra 300, but that is not the norm. Most people will be much better starting out with the high wing trainers, but I am getting off the subject. You will find that this books covers even the small details and you only need to scim thru the book to see that all the bases are covered. This book is absolutely extremely well done and deserve 5 stars for the information, pictures, and layout.
on April 26, 2013
I'm learning something new on every page, having fewer crashes and feeling more confident and in control during flights. I wish I had this book when I first began flying!
on November 25, 2013
Very clearly written with excellent graphics. The basic control techniques are clearly and accurately described. Works very well when used with simulator training.
on February 23, 2013
As someone who loves flying in neighborhood parks, this book was really useful. It is a little dated, but has lots of good information.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2015
great book
on March 17, 2010
An excellent training tool, well illustrated. The author is an accomplished full scale stunt pilot and R/C flyer. A must read for all R/C airplane enthusiasts.
on May 23, 2011
I don't really know which one of the two books I was asked to review by Amazon (bought both at the same time), but they are both great!
on January 14, 2015
Enjoyed reading and learning the steps for flying 3D.
on October 31, 2014
As a returning RC modeller (after 50 years absence) I found the step by step of each move and the stick postitions a great help so I have purchased a simulator for my laptop and am getting into practice