5.0 out of 5 stars Critical tool for tightening carbon fiber components!
Published on September 1, 2010 by D. Chou

3.0 out of 5 stars The scales don't line up
This is a quality wrench (by feel) however on the one that I received the N/m and the inch/lb scales do not line up at 0. So this makes it impossible to properly calibrate the wrench for both scales. It isn't bad enough to send it back but it is annoying and shows poor quality control.

This, of course, makes me wonder how accurate the wrench is overall.
Published on June 11, 2009 by MJ23447

5.0 out of 5 stars Critical tool for tightening carbon fiber components!, September 1, 2010
This review is from: Park Tool TW-2 Torque Wrench (3/8- Inch Drive, 0-600 inch Lbs) (Sports)
Being an avid cyclist, I love assembling, tinkering, and modifying all of my bikes. Four years ago, I added a full-monocoque carbon fiber road bike (2006 CFR-LE) to my stable. I bought the Park TW-2 Torque Wrench to correctly tighten all of the carbon fiber components (stem, seatpost, cranks, etc.) to manufacturer specs and to prevent damage from overtightening. The long handle provides plenty of torque even for the carbon crankset fixing bolt.

The scale on the TW-2 ranges from 0-600 in. lbs. (0-70 NM) and is appropriate for almost all bike components. This torque wrench is fairly easy to use (need to correctly use the swiveling handle) and includes clear instructions and a basic Torque Specifications table. More detailed torque specs can be downloaded from components manufacturers and parktool website. I also use the Park Tool TW-1 Torque Wrench (1/4- Inch Drive, 0-60 inch Lbs) for smaller bolts that require less tightening torque.

The Park Tool TW-2 torque wrench has a 3/8" square drive. No sockets are included; I purchased a separate 10 piece Metric Hex Bit socket set that fits all of my bikes' hex bolts (available at local hardware, auto parts, or online stores). Make sure to use carbon assembly compound/paste for properly tightening carbon components (*paste not recommended for CF steering column-stem interface and handlebar-stem interface which can cause slippage).

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-Branded, 1/2 the Price at Sears, March 16, 2012
Pro's:
+ Does not need to be sent off for calibration
+ Durable

Con's:
- The identical unit, under a different brand, is available at Sears for 1/2 the price
- Plastic handle feels cheap.
- Make sure you calibrate it out of the box - mine was about 1 nM off and the needle was pressed against the meter. Seems sloppy.

I have several other Park tools and they work well (usually not the best, but better than average). I expected something a little more tailored for bicycle repair - my fault (not sure what I was expecting I guess). It's as basic as torque wrenches get.

Docked 1 star for value, lack of calibration out of the box (just bend it back at the wrench head), and the cheap handle. Still, it works and most importantly with no worries about the calibration being off. The sound of carbon fiber cracking is not pleasant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good wrench for the money, March 21, 2009
I originall bought the 60 inch version and am happy with it so I bought the 600 inch version. As I said in my review of the 60 incher, I was concerned about the accuracy and mechanics of the click wrenches that many prefer. The downside of the beam wrenches is you have to be looking at the scale. In my opinion the upside is it is easy to check the calibration (set zero) and I like to be able to watch the torque build by looking at the scale rather than wondering when I am going to get there as with a click wrench. Sometimes simple technology is better in my opinion. Not much to go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, November 23, 2009
This is a great tool. As others have said, the simplicity of this tool is what is appealing. The only drawback is having to be able to see the needle and numbers while torquing. I have always had great luck with Park Tool products and feel good to see the Made in USA stamp.

3.0 out of 5 stars The scales don't line up, June 11, 2009

This, of course, makes me wonder how accurate the wrench is overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars depends on what you're doing, November 9, 2011
DSGe (sunny Florida) - See all my reviews
This torque wrench seems more accurate at heavier torque ratings, like bottom brackets etc.... Its proabbly best to check torque specss for your job(s) on park tools.com before you buy this one or the ratcheting type.

Basically, if you're buying this to do anything under 60 inch-lbs, you're probably better off with the ratcheting type torque wrench. This one seems better suited to heavier duty specs.

Seems to be made just fine, except it was a bit off calibration (zero) when I got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Park Tool 3/8" drive torque wrench, December 11, 2012
B. Kromer (Woodstock, CT) - See all my reviews
I am glad to have this made in the USA beam torque wrench. It will be used for aircraft maintenance. Excellent quality and made here! Most torque wrenches are the "detent" type and can lose calibration but the beam wrench relies on pure physics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Described, August 20, 2012
I have used the smaller version of this for about a year and have been happy. So I decided to buy the 70 newton meter version. Only used it twice so far to tighten a crank set on a bicycle. Seems to work just fine. Just be sure to get a 3/8 inch hex set for your Allen style nuts. I noticed Stanley sells a set where ALL the hex sockets are 3/8th. So just be sure (for the bicycle folks reading this) you get 3/8 hex set or you might need an adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars park tool TW-2 torque wrench, October 16, 2012
The tool worked fine. Nice to see it was made in the US. I am glad I got the 0 to 600 inch lbs. I wanted the one that only went to 60 inch lbs but for my job I would have been off the scale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Park Tool TW-2 Torque Wrench, July 7, 2012
A. Nonymous (Schwenksville, PA) - See all my reviews
I wanted a smaller torque wrench with inch lbs (I have a bigger one with ft lbs) to install new spark plugs in my Honda Accord. This one works fine and I'm glad I bought it!

Rate and Discover Movies