4.0 out of 5 stars My Parker (2010 Model), 99R (TTO) Razor Reveiw
Price: Rating: 10
Hey...what can I say...for around 30 bucks w/ 10 Blades...I'd say I got a real good deal (if I don't say so myself)

Quality: Rating: 9
Published on August 24, 2010 by jenkinschristopher

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth The Money
Published on June 19, 2012 by CaughtInTheCrosshairs

4.0 out of 5 stars My Parker (2010 Model), 99R (TTO) Razor Reveiw, August 24, 2010
This review is from: Parker 99R - Long Handle SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor & 5 Shark Super Chrome Blades (Health and Beauty)
Price: Rating: 10

Quality: Rating: 9
I can say that Parker has greatly increased its quality and durability in their Razors (especially the 2010 Models). I have been using this for many weeks now and have no complaints...I'm really pleased with this Razor. Although not Stainless Steel like my old Gillette Fat-Boy, I believe their 2010 design with brass over nickel plating could stand up with the best and more expensive Razors out there.

User Friendly: Rating: 9
I believe one the best aspect of this Razor is the weight...not yet a monster but at 3.2oz, it has more weight than my Parker 96R, which I like a lot and is a `plus' for ease of your shave.

Grip: Rating: 9.5
The grip on this Razor is very `sure' even when wet and the handle is big enough because this Razor has a 4in textured (machine-turned), handle to `fit' even the Wet-Shaver with `Bear Claws' for hands. The `Barber Pole' is what is the neatest thing about this Razor...it just feels soooo great in my hand.

Ease of Blade Replacement:Rating: 9
The ease of Blade replacement is `quick, easy and flawless' with the TTO doors opening with no slippage and/or `creakiness' and is `tight' when closed usinbg the knob on the end.

Aggressiveness: Rating: Rating: 10
This Razors performance in terms of aggressiveness is outstanding, depending on the `angle' you use. By far, the most aggressive Double-Edge Razor I have ever used (certainly more aggressive than my Parker 96R).

Adjustability: Rating: Rating: 9
The edge `gap' on both sides with the TTO doors closed is very even and the blade (I use "Shark" SS Blades), edge is evenly exposed, (although on my Parker 96R...there is a bit of unevenness with regard to the blade edge being exposed). Also, depending on the angle you use, this Razor may / will need in my opinion...your most special attention, because...one `hurried' slip and OMG ...you're may get `cut' pretty bad (may have to `call-in-sick' that day).

Balance: Rating: Rating: 8
The Barber Pole Handle is beautiful to say the least...a `beauty' to behold. It's heavy enough not to affect the balance (it seems the Parker for 2010 did some really good R&D this time), in my opinion a very well made and `fun' Razor to use.

Thanx :-)

Christopher (a proud Member of the Badger & Blade Forum)

"A Great Lather is Half the Shave"

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the future with this terrific razor, December 2, 2010
I finally got fed up with Gillette, and its ever more expensive shaving systems. I started shaving with a Gillette Safety Razor in 1968, and upgraded to every new razor they developed over the years. I "upgraded" to a Gillette Fusion Proglide with the 5 blades and the AA battery. Very fancy, shaved well, but replacement blades got too expensive. Even on Amazon, where I have bought my blades, the cartridges cost over $2.50 each.
That finally got me. I have seen some articles online extolling the joys of the safety razor, and decided to try it. I read the reviews on Amazon, chose this Parker 99R for its weight and longer handle. I've used it for about 3 weeks, and am very pleased. Since I learned to shave with a safety razor years ago, the adjustment was no big deal. The weight of the razor made shaving close very easy. I did knick myself a few times the first week, but after that, nothing but a great shave. I have found that I get a better shave using shaving soap and brush than using the gel I used in the past.
Now for the cost. No longer do I have to pay $2-3/blade. I can buy blades of the Shark double edged blades on Amazon for about $15, or 15 cents each. I change the blade weekly, could probably go longer, but at that price, why bother?
I am very happy that I made this change. I get a closer shave, and can buy 2 years worth of blades for the cost of an 8 pack of Gillette Fusion Proglide cartridges. Back to the future indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine DE for the newly initiated or well versed., December 15, 2013
The Parker 99R is one of the newer models produced in india by Parker and imported into the U.S by super safety razors. 3-4 years ago Parker safety razors were considered hit or miss with inconsistent blade gaps, questionable build quality and some inconsistently plated razors. Having owned hundreds of safety razors of both modern and vintage build (as well as some of the older parkers) I can say that the 99R is on par with its peers (Muhle, Merkur, ect) with some advantages.

Build Quality: The 99R is a pleasantly heavy razor, the head is similar in form and function to the gillette super speed models and that is a good design to emulate, the head is slightly more low profile than a superspeed and that's a good thing for getting under the nose. The plating is an even nickel coat with a nice shine to it. Here's where the parker has an edge on other modern razors- underneath the nickel plate is brass.

Safety razors tend to be made of either Zamak, Stainless Steel or Brass. Zamak is cheaper but once the plating that protects it is compromised it oxidizes rapidly and that oxidization eats through the body of the razor, ruining it. Brass when exposed forms a patina and that's that (which is why vintage brass razors are still around!) and Stainless steel is well- stainless. Even high end Muhle razors are made of Zamak, albeit with superfluously excellent plating. So, if buy it for life is a factor for you the Parker Safety razors actually have an advantage.

Mechanically the TTO action of the Parker 99R is sound and while the doors could be described as slightly thin they have lasted a year now with no issues.

Function: The Parker 99R will take any modern DE blade, it is opened and closed by twisting the knob- this is somewhat easier than a 3-piece screw together razor in terms of blade changes and rinsing the blade between use, which I advise. One aspect of the Superspeed design that I wish parker had included was the offset washer in the TTO action that locks the Knob at the closed position, this makes it harder for the knob to untwist itself- as one absolutely doesn't want the razor to open in use. I haven't had it open on me but it definitely feels less secure than my vintage gillette TTO's.

The Razor is moderately aggressive- falling somewhere near the Merkur 34C / Gillette Red tip range. The substantial weight and length of the handle give it a very efficient action. In regards to the weight I can tell you that besides Stainless steel razors you won't find many stock handles that are as heavy as this one. The Barber-Pole Knurling is deep and helpful and I've never felt like the razor was slipping in my grip even with soap and water on my hand.

It can deliver great shaves with even mild blades (such as derby's) due to the aforementioned weight and moderate aggression.

I'd recommend this razor to new shavers and old ones alike- This razor is well behaved enough to start with and aggressive enough to grow with the user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent razor!, July 28, 2010
This is my first double edge safety razor. I have very sensitive skin and therefore have always been in pursuit of the best shave for my type of skin. I started shaving 20+ years ago with disposable double blade razors. I later moved on to Mach 3, then 5 blade razors, and more recent expensive electric razors. I have also tried various shaving foams, creams, lotions, etc. I have never been satisfied with any shaving product. Until now! After much research, I decided to try a double edge safety razor. I bought this particular razor along with a Parker badger brush and a glycerin shaving soap. I must say, I am amazed at what I was able to achieve with my first try. I actually did not get any skin irritation! I am very happy that I was finally able to find something that actually works! Now, I am able to shave everyday without worries. If you dont buy this product, at least buy another double edge razor. I'm sure they will work better than anything else that's out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like wielding Thor's hammer...., August 11, 2013
It may be the only butterfly type razor i will buy. Bought a Merkur razor at the same time, and the 99R must be at least twice as heavy. I like the balance; as someone with fairly large hands, it is comfortable to maneuver. I find it to be very forgiving with the Personna blades; not so much with the Sharks.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm new to the safety razor world and am hooked!, September 24, 2010
I've never used a safety razor before and decided that it was time.
So i bought the 99R, a brush, some soap and gave it a whirl...

The first thing I thought after opening the box was how heavy it was - it felt very nice - then I got caught in a trance staring at its shiny beauty, lol...

WOW what an amazing shave!
I didn't cut myself (never do) but this was by far the closest and most enjoyable shave I've ever had.

I did some reading before I just jumped in, as I've never even used a brush before, lol ...

Heres what I found and followed:
I didn't wash my face, applied the soap. then covered my face with a hot washcloth for 3 min, then reapplied the soap and shaved....

I'm completely hooked - never gonna go back to 4-5 blade disposables again - this is the way every man should shave!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth The Money, June 19, 2012
I bought the Parker 99R - Long Handle SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor, approximately 3 months ago, for $31.88. For the 1st couple of months I was satisfied with the razor. It gave a nice quality shave, for what seemed like a reasonable price. However, a few days ago, one side of the butterfly closure fell off while I was replacing the blade. I was able to put it back together but, that only lasted until I opened the closure again to rinse the blade. This time I put it back together again, and as I tightened the butterfly closure, the rod inside the handle broke in a manner that can not be fixed. I would not recommend this razor to anyone.

With that said, I was however, very impressed with how Amazon.com handled my complaint about this item. Hopefully I won't have many more issues like this. However, if I do and they are handled in the same manner, I will be customer for life. Thank You Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Patient, August 5, 2013
My husband was skeptical at first. After a few nicks, he got used to the weight and angle and found the shave to be one of the closest he could get without having his barber do the work. Also, the replacement blades are a fraction of what standard grocery store brands cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ive been shaving wrong my whole life. ***updated after 6 months**, July 29, 2013
Ken Z (BELLA VISTA, AR, US) - See all my reviews
This is my first DE razor, well almost.
Before I bought this razor I bought the "merkur 180 long handle," but returned it the next day.
The Merkur is a 3 piece razor and the safety guard on it extended so far that I could not make the blade touch the skin no matter what angle I held it.

Glad I tried the Parker 99R.
Its handle is as long as the merkur, but its heaver and its a buttery open.
This makes it easier to change the bland and I found it held better.

Ive been using it for a week, along with shark blades that came with it, and have had very few nicks.
(most due to me learning the right angle to hold the razor)
I should note Im using a bed-bath-beyond shaving cream instead of a can of gel goop.

The shark blade lasted me 4 shaves, all clean. (I dry the blade after each use)

I also picked up a vintage Gillette Super Speed from ebay for my dad.
He was looking for something like what he learned to shave with.

The Parker is an inch longer than this 60's era Gillette and twice as heavy.

I have average sized hands, (wear medium to large gloves) and the Parker is way easier to grip.

All in all, I'd say worth the price and a great starter razor.
(I bought a stand to display it in my sink as its design is almost sculpture)

the five shark blades are a bonus and should hold you for a month while you research which other brand you want to try.
Amazon has a few variety packs which help you find the right blade for you.

Good luck and happy shaving.

***Update: Feb. 2014***
Ive now been using the Parker 99R for over six months.
Still love it and have had no issues.
Finish still looks good, butterfly top still opens and closes.
I have switched to Astra blades and use the van der hagen luxury soap/brush shave set. (click my name to see the review on them)
Overall Im very happy with this razor and would recommend it to anyone looking to start using a DE razor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why did people quit using safety razors?, July 11, 2013
I decided to switch to a safety razor after visiting a very overpriced shaving specialty store. Like most guys younger than 60 I've always shaved with a multi-blade or electric razor, switching back & forth when I got tired of it. After trying the safety razor I wonder why anyone ever switched.

After not wanting to pay the price of the store I looked on Amazon and found this Parker 99R which had good reviews. I'm not disappointed. It has a nice weight to it and is very easy to use. I've been impressed with the quality of the shave and that my skin is less irritated. The price is good and the blades are very cheap to replace.

If you've been using a multi-blade razor I recommend trying the safety razor. It's going to be cheaper in a short amount of time and give you a better shave in my experience.

The only reason I didn't give this razor 5 stars is that it isn't adjustable. You can control the shave by the angle of the blade (which multi-blades can't do) but I would still like to adjust the blade out a bit more on some parts of my face.