Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on November 11, 2009
In high school, I played this game with my friends all the time. However, we played the old version. I thought that the other day, I would go and get the game for myself. I was really excited when I got it and my friends and I went and played it that night. It was still a fun game to play and everyone had a good time. However...I was rather disappointed with the difficulty of the cards, the scoring, and the overall quality of the construction of the game. It seems like they tried to save money by making the cards smaller than regular playing cards, and the plastic used for the game was a little flimsier than the old one.

I think that they have geared this game towards younger kids now. By younger, I mean 8 - teens. The things you have to act out are significantly easier to do: Less abstract things, more physical objects. If the things are abstract, they're easy things to act out. Like waking up. Or something smelly. I also didn't like that the scoring in this version. The old one had easy and hard cards, just like this version, but for each card, one clue was worth 1 point the other 2 on the easier card, 3 and 4 points for the hard card. Now the easy card is worth 1 point, the hard 2, for both clues. When my friends and I played, we were doing all hard cards and we were guessing all four of them with plenty of time to spare. Needless to say, it was a really close game. Maybe since we're in college, we're just quicker at guessing the clues?

If you're looking for a game to play with kids, this would be great. I think that the clues are very appropriate for younger people. However, I was hoping for something a little more difficult, with a greater range of scoring for a more competitive game.
44 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2009
This version is by Parker Brothers (PB). I believe the original (Guesstures Game) is by Milton Bradly (MB).
The rules are slightly different, as are the cards. I can't find the MB version in any of the stores anymore, so I bought the one by PB. The main difference is the scoring. In the MB version, the cards had 2 words, one was worth more than the other. In the PB version, there are still 2 words, but they are worth the same amount (blue cards are 1 point and red cards are 2 I believe). There is also no place to keep the team's score (except for holding onto the cards, which is why I guess the points are by color instead of the variation like the MB version).

The game is still fun at parties and everything, but I preferred the old cards. The new ones just don't make it as fun and challenging.

So, some good things. The new timer feels a lot sturdier. The old one was flimsy and would start on its own too easily (although my old copy was older than me...). My friends seem more willing to play this version due to the new card setup. You can still try to write on the timer if you want (there's a blank area), but there's no labels and it might not come off... The box is a lot smaller than the old version.

The bad, nothing much except for my unwillingness to change. My biggest upset is the box though. It's hard to get the game open, and if you want to put it back in and keep it looking new in the box, it's hard to pull off as well. The packaging doesn't really effect the play of the game.

This game is awesome. At least one person in your set of friends should own it. If you do play, you can't be timid or afraid. You have to be out going. It's more fun that way, and it can enhance your friendship (because you start to feel less worried about doing something embarrassing and can be more outgoing with people).

Yeah... That's my review...
on February 5, 2010
I purchased this new version of Guesstures, a game that my 30-something friends and I have enjoyed at many parties. I was a little leery of what I was ordering because the packaging has changed from earlier green boxed version. However, I checked several stores websites and it seemed that the only version of Guesstures on the market is this one. So I purchased it. It was a total flop at my party. This game is not challenging for adults. The timer seems to be extended from the earlier version and the words are very easy to act out. I suppose this is fun for the kids, but adults beware. Just stick to the green box.
on December 28, 2013
Why do they always seem to take a great product and ruin it? That's what they've done with this game. The older (1990 Milton Bradley) version was so much fun, for kids and adults alike. We were very disappointed to see that this new Parker Brothers version has been downgraded in several ways:

First, the physical features:
1. The cards are smaller, thinner, and flimsy.
2. The cards are stacked in the box on their sides, rather than vertically. They don't stick out of the box when the box is sitting open. This means it's much harder to remove and replace the cards while playing.
3. The font on the cards is smaller, so it's harder to see the words from a standing position while it's your turn.
4. The game storage box, which is a sturdy box in the old version, now is flimsy and won't hold up.

Now, regarding the game strategy features:
1. They have removed the word-point values on the cards. In the 1990 version, each card has an easier word (1 or 2 points) and a harder word (3 or 4 points). This was a fun and important part of the strategy, when you decided for each card whether to play it safe with the easy word or take a risk and go for a higher score. Now that part of the game has been removed.
2. All the words are easier, so much of the fun is gone. The harder words often result in acting out all kinds of antics to get the point across. This can be hilarious. Now with just the easier words you make a simple gesture or point at something and it's over.

If you've never played the older version, then you'll likely still think this is a fun game, especially for kids. But take my advice, for a much better game, go to ebay and get the 1990 version, which seems to be readily available.

Bottom line: Go to eBay and get the 1990 version!
on December 4, 2014
This game has Easy and Hard cards. You can play with young children or adults. I introduced my adult kids to this over Thanksgiving and we never laughed so hard. It was a hoot. They definitely want to play again.

I was introduced to this game at a women's club game day and we all loved it and laughed our heads off. It's easy and fun.
on February 20, 2014
This game is incredibly fun. There are 5 randomly selected cards you place on top of this motorized box (that you crank and turn on). The timer allows yo ua few seconds to act out whats written on the card, and if they group guesses it right, you grab the card out before the box eats it up. play in teams of two or three, or whatever. It's tons of fun, I'm a grown man and have been finding it hilarious. After a while, cards get repetitive and its easy enough to guess, If you grab some postits and tape it over the cards, writein your own entries and its like having a new deck!
on January 9, 2015
It's a fun game, but not as fun as the original, where you could select a word, and get more points based on the difficulty of the word. This version does make it easier for kids to play though. We have had fun playing as a family, but it's almost too easy with adults.
on December 3, 2013
A friend introduced me to this game and it is a great party game that gets everyone involved, so decided to get one for myself. One major issue, not with the game but with Amazon shipping. This was a Prime item which meant with allowing a day for processing, it should have arrived 2 days later. The projected arrival date was 8 days out. After speaking with a customer service rep, there was no explanation for the delay. Normally not a big deal but I was having a houseful for Thanksgiving and wanted a game we could all play. That didn't happen.
on December 7, 2014
This game is a lot of fun when you have different teams. If you have never played this game before I recommend it. You have two card selection easy and hard and they are for the most part easy to act out and a lot of fun... Enjoy!!
on November 17, 2014
This has become one of my favorite games. It's very fast-paced, easy to learn, and gets everyone moving and into the game. My one criticism is that a lot of the "hard" words are very easy, the level of difficulty is not consistent across the cards.

See 1 answered question