5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant felt-tip pen
Parker's PR people did a lousy job communicating what's special about this pen, which is apparent when you read many of these reviews. People are shocked when they realize that it's not a fountain pen (it's not advertised as a fountain pen) and feel gypped when they find out that it's "only" a felt-tip. When I bought it, even the pen salesman (in a high-quality pen store)...
Published on August 10, 2012 by Rocket Riter

2.0 out of 5 stars A Sharpie in fountain pen clothing...
I have to admit to being a pen junkie. I've got a number of good fountain pens, and have always liked Parker products. The Parker Duofold remains my favorite fountain pen. I looked forward to trying this because it seemed to combine fountain pen like writing with no-leak and no-need-to cap-quickly convenience. The pen has some positives. It's nice looking, seems well...
Published on November 27, 2011 by Dr. Philip J. Kinsler

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't stand this pen, December 11, 2011
I was intrigued by the ads for this product and though I've never owned a Parker pen they seem to be a reputable well known brand name so I thought why not treat myself to something special this time of the year. I was sorely disappoinnted.

PRO
1) ink flows easily but at $8 a pop you can do better with cheaper pens

CON
1) this is not a small pen, in the name it uses the word small, but there is nothing small about this pen, it is chunky and clunky

2) it is top heavy, you can not comfortably write with the pen if the top is on the back of the pen; I have to use the top to keep it from rolling so there is no way to comfortably use this pen

3) I prefer fine point pens so I got a fine point refill, it is no finer than the medium point refill and at $8 for a refill that is way too expensive

4) $190 is way too much for this pen, there is no indication of what quality gold they used in the nib and trim, they just describe it as pink gold, and already with just removing the cap 2 or three times the nib holder is scratched and I can't tell what inside the cap is doing it

Bottom line: this pen is not that unique to warrant dropping close to $200 for it, no one is going to oooh and aaah over it to warrant that kind of money

Dec 13th -- ENCOUNTERED ADDITIONAL PROBLEM with pen

FREQUENTLY while writing with the pen while having the top attached to the back of the pen the top flys off for no apparent reason. I firmly push the top onto the back of the pen and it still flys off. This is a poorly designed pen and there is nothing innovative about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful but heavy felt tip pen, February 2, 2012
tania "A some time listener." (Atlanta, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
I wouldn't listen to the other reviewer who was fooled into thinking it was a fountain pen. It isn't described as one and it isn't a ball-point pen. It's a felt-tip, or as the fancier ones are called: a fineliner.
I love mine but took a star off for two reasons:
1. too heavy
2. ink bleeds through all but the thickest paper.
There is supposed to be a finer tip version soon so hopefully that will solve my second complaint.
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth, beautiful, hefty pen, February 6, 2012
This pen is a very nice writing and smooth felt-tip (fine liner) pen. It's perfect for those people who are looking for an elegant pen that does not use liquid ink. I travel a lot, which means that I cannot go places with a fountain pen. This pen works for those situations. The negative on this pen is also the positive: it's not a fountain pen.

This means that those purists who like to refill the ink, get ink on their hands, and enjoy all the quirks of fountain pen writing, will not get that with this pen I am sometimes that person. On the other hand, this pen writes very smoothly, delivers consistent ink flow, refills like a "normal" pen, and doesn't leak.

So, don't get fooled into thinking this is a fountain pen; it's not. However, for people who like nice-looking pens that are easy to use, produce a smooth link, and are reliable, you might really like this pen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Pen for Business or Personal Use, February 16, 2012
Features of this pen I liked:

* good hand ergonomics

* smooth on paper--the pen seems to "float"

* easy grip--kind of a scuba-suit texture where you hold it

* handy desk pen--weight seems more like a desk pen than pocket pen

This pen seems designed for a desk pen for a bank, car dealership, luxe furniture store, law or real estate office when you want the signing of a document to be memorable--like when a client is buying a home, car, home furnishings etc. The pen's quality matches the significance of the occasion at hand. Or if you use a pen at home a lot and want something quality to use to enjoy your work more. I like to write so enjoy having something more than a ballpoint pen on occasion.

The pen is a bit of a hybrid. The writing gives the appearance of a fountain pen, but you'll never get messy ink spots on your shirt pocket or smears across the page. However, when I do calligraphy, for invitations, I prefer a fountain pen.

Fountain pen connoisseurs may not want this pen as a replacement to their fountain pens unless you prefer something more maintenance free for easy writing.

I was impressed with the ingenuity of thinking behind it and like using it for creative writing or journal writing when I don't want to be on the computer to write. If you want a pen for your shirt pocket, a lighter version would probably be better for that. However, for your desk, office or company, it's practical and elegant--two features that don't always combine easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feeling pen, May 24, 2012
Easy to control, feels good to write with. Great pen to doodle and sketch with. Love it so much I bought two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superterrific, June 6, 2012
Craig Swanson (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I love the Ingenuity. It's my favorite pen at the moment and perhaps my favorite of all time. I have one small nit: I wish the texture on the metal surface where your index finger finds traction was a bit more sticky, a little more friction. It's not slippery exactly, but it would be more restful and relaxing if the grid pattern was deeper or somehow more grippy. A subtle change would be enough for me. But other than that I love the ink delivery. Haven't had a cartridge run out yet but we'll see how it goes. I'll spend a few years with this and hope in the meantime that can rev the barrel just ever so slightly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parker 5th pen-love, July 6, 2012
My husband purchased this for me as a birthday present. He knows I have a love for all things stationary and he hit the nail on the head with this pen. The pen looks like a fountain, but thankfully it's not. I've never had much luck with fountains, especially the ink reserves, so this pen is a welcomed substitution.
The felt tip is beautiful, the ink plentiful and the flow of the tip is wonderful! I love the weight of the pen too. It really makes writing enjoyable.

As far as some of the other comments go - the ink is a little heavy, but I haven't had any issues with it smearing when I write (a HUGE plus for me). The bleeding through is kind of expected with this type of pen, so it doesn't bother me.
The only thing that irks me about this pen is the cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly innovative !, December 7, 2011
I love writing, and I love innovation. This pen works for me in both areas.

The only con I have is that this is marketed as a fountain pen when it is not like a fountain pen. Fountain pen enthusiasts may be disappointed (unless they are open minded to something new).

On the other hand it is a surprising innovation. At first I was treating it like a fountain pen due to the marketing, but then I realized it is something very unique. It felt as smooth as the finest mechanical pencil, yet I saw the ink flow like you do on a rollerball, and felt the amazing softness of the nib. The more I wrote the more I began to realize that this would be perfect for any surface -even post it notes. I am normally selective about the papers I use for fountain pen writing. Overall this 'just feels great' and is liberating at the same time! More casual than formal, but a better dressed type of casual-smiles. Gentle, smooth, safe -without possibility of smudge, consistent, and professional. You can leave it open for extended periods and it won't dry out. It draws attention as well because of the unique design, so it has the brag factor I like as a pen collector. My favorite surprise is that the refill includes the point. This means you won't have to protect your point/nib because you replace it too! INGENIOUS (however more expensive as an option)!

Hope I didn't spoil the surprises for you! I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best non-fountain pen I have ever written with, March 18, 2012
This is truly a leap in technology. The special refills for this pen start out looking like a normal thin felt tip pen. After writing with it for a few minutes it "cuts" itself to your particular writing style. This makes further writing a rich, flowing experience. The only deficit is that the refill does not last that long - mine ran our of ink after about three weeks of use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Top-heavy, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Parker Ingenuity Large Daring Black Rubber and Metal Chrome Trim (CT) 5th Technology Mode Pen (S0959230) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review is not for pen collectors. For that perspective, I recommend some of the top-rated reviews.
I was interested in this pen because I thought it would be very well-designed and would write smoothly, and it appears that it meets those criteria for some people, but not for me.

In terms of design, I found it attractive, but very poorly balanced. It is so top-heavy that it tilts backward out of my hand as I am writing, and this negatively affects both the feel of the pen and the quality of the writing. Even when I remove the top, it still does not rest comfortably in my hand. I thought the problem might be hand size, so I asked someone with a larger hand to try it, and he also found it top-heavy and hard to use. Neither of us was able to get the pen to write smoothly.

I also fail to see the point of making it look like a fountain pen when it isn't, but I guess that's just a matter of taste.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›