Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Parker Ingenuity Large Daring Black Rubber and Metal Chrome Trim (CT) 5th Technology Mode Pen (S0959230)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Size: Large|Color: Black Rubber Rings with Nickel-Palladium Trim|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 18, 2012
The presentation / box is classy and tasteful. The pen arrives with a dummy refill installed and a real (medium black) refill ready to go in a hidden compartment under the pen. The pen looks exactly like the pictures and has a very nice weight and balance. It feels and looks like a finely engineered instrument. I thought it would feel chunky or be oversized based on other reviews, but it isn't (and I have small hands). It is a modern and masculine design. The cap goes smoothly and securely on the end of the pen and doesn't budge even after putting it down and picking it up several times.

I did not like the way the nib felt when I first began writing with this pen. It felt scratchy on the paper. Not what I was expecting at all based on the product claims. The nib looks like a felt tip. There is no ball of any kind, but the nib is rounded....at least it starts out that way. I began using this pen exclusively for journal writing and noticed that the feel of the nib on paper changed quickly and remained consistent after a brief break in period. The nib has now flattened out (much like a pencil) and has basically adjusted itself to my unique writing angle. Once the rounded shape was worn flat, it became exceptionally smooth (wow-smooth) and a very pleasant writing experience. The ink is opaque, flows smoothly and consistently and does not smudge or bleed through (another wow).

I have a nice collection of pens, but this has become my favorite writing pen. The refill that comes with it is medium according to Parker, but it is thick compared to other medium nibs. I will order the fine size refills going forward. Some people have complained about the $8 refills, but the refill is where all the amazing innovation is. The pen nib wears down and has to be replaced.

This pen has grown on me to become my favorite. Go ahead, this truly is a special pen.

[...]
This is the most expensive non-fountain-pen pen that I've ever owned (a present offered at a special occasion) and it tries hard to be fountain-pen-like and it almost succeeds.

If I were to express my view about this pen in a few words, I would say/write "I like it (very much)". But, let me do an organized evaluation.

What's to like (very much):

- Writing is smooth, feels like it almost glides on paper.
- It's precise. I am using it to sign things, check boxes or write annotations on the margins or between lines and this pen is up to the task better than most.
- The ink is fluid and it comes out evenly.
- Good fountain-pen-like design and good grip.
- Good quality refills are readily available.

What's not to like.... maybe:

- It's a little bit on a heavy side. It does take a little bit of getting used to it but I stopped being aware of its weight after a few days of use. I'm using it for the occasional brief annotations and edits on the margins of printed documents and it's my favorite tool for the task now.
- It's not perfectly balanced but it's almost so with the cap off.
- Refills don't last that long but that's the price we pay for a great writing tool.

Recommended to all those who don't mind paying a little extra for 'quality' while not having to worry about all the little tasks required to use and maintain a 'true' fountain-pen.
on January 15, 2014
I am a fountain pen man, and have been for many years, buying and using fine pens. I gave up on the rollerball years ago because I didn't like the feel not the outcome of using one. Just didn't look classy. But in my recent search for a pen for my wife, I finally tried the Parker 5th Technology with a fountain pen look but a rollerball delivery. And I love it. I am certainly not putting my ink pens away, but the Parker 5th is now part of the rotation.
on June 2, 2013
Yes, this pen is slippery. Maybe not necessarily slipper, but it's certainly smooth to the point of sliding out of your grip if you squeeze to hard.

This pen is somewhat longer, and thicker than the medium sized Parker pens. That should be a given though, being that this is a large; just thought you'd want to hear it first hand.

This pen does come with a cap, it is not a twist. I hate pens without caps.

The pen's integrity is very firm; like an extra thick aluminum can. You won't be able to crush it with your hand though unless you have the strength of a gorilla or something. It's very well made in that way, the cap snaps on and off. Although it doesn't hold on the backside of the barrel extremely well. You don't want to wave it around to much, if you don't want to lose the cap that is.

The ink flows pretty well. I'm not 100%, but I believe this to be a roller-ball. It writes like one anyway. The ink freely flows and is wet. It does smudge initially, until it dries. So, be careful with your check writing.

Overall this is a nice enough pen. Overpriced (i got for 145) but nice. If you have the cash to drop and don't mind overpaying somewhat, pick this chrome pen up and watch it fly from your hands as you're writing in rage... bills irritate me.
review image review image review image review image review image
on February 16, 2014
Since I am a man, I will not use the B word, this pen really is beautiful and elegant. The pen is a lot heavier than most pens, there is no plastic in the pen. That said, the pen fits properly in my hand and feels right. The pen feels very cool to touch (temperature). The pen writes smoothly with little effort. The ink does not smear or run nor any accumulation of ink around the point. I really like the pen.
I have to submit hand written reports, as part of my job description and duties, which in turn, the data is then transcribed onto computer, for distribution.
on February 27, 2012
This pen is in the throes of an existentialist struggle. It has the body of a fountain pen, but the soul of a Sharpie.

Forget the objective analysis, let us, in the spirit of Kirkegaard and Nietzsche, focus on the subjective. This pen writes like a dream. It's the equivalent of driving up US 101 on a mild summer day in a 1998 Cadillac Seville. The ride is very smooth, very floaty, very insulated, very gran turismo with a strong emphasis on comfort and civility.

But if I wanted comfort, I'd sit back in my chair and fire up my Dragon Naturally Speaking. Nay, gentle reader, writing is more than comfort, it's a passionate exercise in penmanship. That's why some discerning pensmiths prefer fountain pens, because they want their writing to be an experience similar to driving up US 101 on a mild summer day in a Mazda Miata with the top down, with every bump in the road transmitted to our fingertips, the wind whistling through our hair...

Alas, this pen does not let the wind whistle through anything, not even through its spurious fountain pen-like nib. It looks gorgeous, but it's not the real deal.

And it's expensive. For the price, there is probably a very good fountain-pen equivalent of the Miata with your name on it. With the top down. On US 101. Waiting to go.
on January 30, 2013
Its a very expensive Sharpie Pen. I am so disappointed with this pen, I love parker and was very excited when this pen came out could not wait to buy it despite the price, thought I could not go wrong with a parker. How wrong I was when I found out the tip of the refill was the same as a sharpie pen. Its nothing new and I have had better pens before than this. I would save your money and just buy a pack of sharpie pens.
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2012
This review is not for pen collectors. For that perspective, I recommend some of the top-rated reviews.
I was interested in this pen because I thought it would be very well-designed and would write smoothly, and it appears that it meets those criteria for some people, but not for me.

In terms of design, I found it attractive, but very poorly balanced. It is so top-heavy that it tilts backward out of my hand as I am writing, and this negatively affects both the feel of the pen and the quality of the writing. Even when I remove the top, it still does not rest comfortably in my hand. I thought the problem might be hand size, so I asked someone with a larger hand to try it, and he also found it top-heavy and hard to use. Neither of us was able to get the pen to write smoothly.

I also fail to see the point of making it look like a fountain pen when it isn't, but I guess that's just a matter of taste.
on April 22, 2014
I have been using high quality pens for over 50 years. Simply putting it - this is the best pen I have EVER used - even pens costing 10x more do not feel or write nearly as good. I also love the rubbery grip. Just one gripe: it is HEAVY and the diameter is big. So putting it in your shirt will weigh it down. But otherwise, best writing pen in the world, in my opinion
on June 8, 2014
I absolutely love this pen, to the point that I bought 2 more. One was a different colour, and the other was a gift for a friend. I read the specs and reviews and knew that this was not a fountain pen, only designed to look like one. Fountain pens have a lovely style, but there were huge headaches that came along with them. I will admit however that it does take a bit of time before you determine the right amount of pressure to apply to write - but once you do it glides effortlessly along the page. I have been complimented on it by my superiors and peers at work. I would not suggest this pen to someone who does not like fat pens, or for people who want an actual fountain pen.