5.0 out of 5 stars My fav

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pencil but mechanism fails quickly
Published on March 24, 2011 by Hercules Smithers

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pencil but mechanism fails quickly, March 24, 2011
Hercules Smithers (Boulder, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parker Jotter Stainless Steel 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil (Office Product)
The Parker Jotter stainless steel mechanical pencil could be a great product: It looks great and is extremely ergonomic. However, it is not reliable. I've had a few of these, and in three of them the lead transport mechanism has failed after a few months of use (it gets stuck and does not feed the lead forward). This is very disappointing; this pencil should have a mean lifetime before failure of at least two years. What is also disappointing is that Parker does not have a feedback feature on their web page.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good design, bad mechanism, January 31, 2013
I'm giving up! I have owned multiple Parker Jotter stainless steel mechanical pencils over the years and all have broken because the mechanism that advances the lead fails. It's too bad because I love the design of this pencil and I have continued to buy the mechanical pencil knowing that it has a flaw and hoping Parker would fix the problem. I'm tired of throwing my money away on a design flaw that is easily fixed. I'm going to try the Pentel Graph Gear 1000 Automatic Drafting Pencil.

5.0 out of 5 stars My fav, August 21, 2011
My Parker Jotter pencil broke only after 14 years of use. Sometimes the lead transport mechanism did jam, but only when I dropped it on the protracted lead, and it resumed just fine with a lovely crank-snap-push-button action; something in this pencil tells me it has a very firm lead grip, which is important. Never failed on me no matter how hard I pushed while drawing. The plastic screw holding the upper case did brake unexpectedly however, when I screwed it hard, so I had to glue it in place. I have a new one, which is good for writing and drawing. It has no glittering parts, like the clip on Faber's Loom Piano, and neutral color is good for most drawing needs. I wish it had a longer tip, like drafting pencils, for better/more accurate observation/drawing. Would buy another one with 0.7 lead as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite pencil, June 18, 2012
I've used these pencils for years to write in my lesson planner. They are durable, nice-looking and by far my favorite pencil to write with. My only gripe is that they only sell the .05 lead thickness, which can break easily. If they sold this pencil in .07, I'd be the perfect pencil.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lead Advancement Fails, January 12, 2012
You feel the quality when you hold it in your hands. Write quality, weight, lead advancement is perfect. Perfectly balanced. Superb grip due to expert machining. No slipping fingers. Additionally, when you press to advance the lead you will notice that there is a spring shock system that works to absorb shock if you press too hard. That is, if you press with great force, the whole lead holding tubing goes out and retracts again absorbing the extra lbs. These are very high quality pencils and to my knowledge are of the few stocks left that were made in the UK. Drop quality is also high. Dropped mine numerous times only to find not even a scratch.
Update: After using one of the Jotter Pencils for a couple of months the lead advancement stopped working ultimately breaking the lead. They are beautiful pencils, it is a pity that such a thing could happen given the quality of the brand.
Update 2: All the pencils I have purchased have now failed, the main reason being the lead advancement mechanism.In my estimation, it takes about three months of daily use until mechanism fails. It seems to be an inherent problem and thus have lowered the rating into one star, since I could not give a 0 rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice pencil, April 11, 2014
It is a very nice pencil that fits nicely in your hand. It uses thin lead that does break easily

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected from a Parker., February 26, 2014
Build Quality is inferior compared to the other metal mechanical pencils I own. My pentel graph gear is far more comfortable and better built than this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mechanical pencil, February 19, 2014
I've had several of these over the years usually in combination with its companion pen. I like the feel of them in my hand and I prefer the 0.5mm lead size. The only down side is that I keep losing them

3.0 out of 5 stars Timeless design, flawed engineering, January 6, 2014
I've never had more compliments with a writing instrument. There is just something so classy about the arrow clip and stainless steel shaft. I have been an avid Parker pen user for years and decided to try these mechanical pencils. They are just as gorgeous. Unfortunately, they jam really easily. Once you start running low on lead, it tried to pick up another piece and then jams on the older piece. Not pretty and extremely difficult to fix. Too bad though. I try to limit my purchases of them because of this. Otherwise, the ideal mechanical pencil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parker Jotter Mechanical Pencil, March 22, 2013
I love my Parker Jotter Mechanical pencil. I plan to have it for many years of writing pleasure. I have many meetings and conferences that I go to and take notes. The Jotter goes with me every time. It looks classy, writes great, feels good (which was very important to me because I have small hands and I cant stand anything that is big and clunky). I would recomend this product to anyone. Worth every penny!!!

Parker Jotter Stainless Steel 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil