Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Parker Jotter Pen, Stainless Steel, Medium Point, Black Ink
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 22, 2012
This is a good quality everyday pen for under $10.00. There is no need to spend a lot to get a nice looking and durable pen. However, I have had very bad luck with the Parker refills. I have had three pens rendered inoperable due to gooey, leaking ink from the refill. Ink leaks from the top and gums up the clicking mechanism, and from the ball point the ink gets blobby and gooey and can smear. These were authentic Parker refills. It is possible that the leaking is due to sometimes carrying the pen upside down, but that still makes it unsuitable for my purposes. I like the stainless look and the pen design, but I absolutely will not use a Parker refill again. I cleaned out the pens with acetone and Q-Tips and tried a different refill. If you want a really nice refill that fits Parker, try the Schmidt Easy Flow 9000. You can get it on Amazon. It has a lower viscosity ink that writes very smooth and does not smear, and I have not found those refills to leak. Its smoothness is more like a rollerball yet it is still considered a ballpoint and it retains the fine line and precision of a ballpoint.
on July 12, 2010
Needed a good pen for my Army uniform. It fits inside the the pen pockets of the new Army ACU uniform. The barrel is smooth, thin and there's no rubber grip that gets in the way. The size also makes it a great pen for a checkbook or organizer notebook.

The pen is small, but stainless steel, so it's got a bit of heft to it for its size. It feels like quality.

The spring is strong, but the clicking mechanism is smoothed. Maybe there's a buffer or something so it's easier to click than the spring makes it feel. The button is rounded so it feels good on the thumb.

I'm mostly disappointed by the lack of places that sell this pen. Office supply stores used to sell them, but not anymore. Cheaper plastic pens with rubbery grips, there. Most places sell the Zebra pens, but those are made in Indonesia, where the Parker is made in the UK. I feel better about supporting a British company. Also, as someone else noted, you can't just buy a Jotter with blue ink. You have to order that refill separately.
77 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
To say I'm a Parker jotter loyalist would be an understatement. I've used jotters since I was a child and they have always been my favorite. At one time I used the half-plastic jotters, which I thought were great until someone gave me the stainless steel jotter. Definitely hooked for life. The plastic jotters can break if you sit on them. Not so the stainless steel pens. They are virtually indestructable with anything like normal use. I can honestly say that no stainless steel Parker Jotter has every ruined a shirt by leaking, which is not something I can say for most major brand office pens. I will NEVER put a company issued pen in my pocket, they are strictly for my desktop. The Parker is the ONLY pen that goes in my pocket. The stainless steel is fairly distinctive and makes it easy to detect someone walking away with my pen at a meeting (by accident of course....hmm). I carry one in my pocket, one in my car, one by the computer at home, and one on my office desk. Probably the single most reliable object I own next to my Victorinox Swiss Army knife. Not something I ever want to be without.
on September 17, 2012
The Parker Jotter has been my favorite pen for 30 years. Unfortunately, the new ones are terrible. The pens themselves are fine - it's the ink cartridges which are the problem. They don't start writing immediately, you have to scribble a little to get the ink flowing. I've tried 4 different refills at different times over the last several months, hoping that I just had a bad refill. No such luck. As much as I hate to say it, I'm switching to Cross pens. It's such a shame when a great product gets bought by another company and deteriorates. C'est la vie.
99 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2009
This is a great little pen. Smooth, does not show wear, and is light in the pocket. Apparently others share this opinion, as I've lost two over the past 5 years.
on April 24, 2013
I have relied on this pen style for 20 years. Replacing lost versions and refilling with religious devotion. Recently their longevity has crashed. Becoming unresolvably jammed.

Time for a new brand. Bye Parker, I used to love you...
on March 9, 2015
This is my other favorite pen. The one pen I love as much as the Fisher Cap-O-Matic Series. I love this pen because its similar to the Fisher Cap-O-Matic. Its another inexpensive (and pretty much iconic) all metal ballpoint pen that looks great, should should last forever, and is a nice size and comfortable to write with. My favorite thing about the Jotter is the shape, which I find I'm a bit more inclined to hold at the exact right spot than I am with the Cap-o-Matic. My least favorite thing about the Jotter is actually the Parker Quinkflow cartridge. After about 2 days of use with the supplied cartridge, I swapped it with an extra Fisher medium point black refill I had lying around, and this dramatically improved the pen. Some people love Quinkflow cartriges, some don't. For my money it was extremely smooth and fairly legible, but it almost never writes as soon as you touch pen to paper, you have to start the thing first. Also, its not great for writing on odd surfaces, and sometimes I need to do that at work. Finally, it has a very slight tendency to blob and smear. This last issue really isn't a huge one, if this was a disposable pen, I'd say it writes great apart from the skipping tendency, but since this costs as much as my Fisher Cap-O-Matics and Sheaffer VMF, I think its worth mentioning. Swapping in the Fisher refill corrects those issues though I have to admit the Parker Quinkflow cartridge IS smoother than the pressurized Fisher cartridge. (At least the if they're both medium point, I've since switched to Fisher bold point cartridges which are smoother than the medium point Quinkflow. I haven't tried Quinkflow in a bold point cartridge) Anyway, since I already had 2 spare (medium point) Fisher cartridges just sitting in a drawer, I'm not penalizing the Jotter for Parker cartridge. If it was a new pen and I didn't have the spare I'd probably knock the rating down to four stars. But as it is, I now have essentially another great looking "Space pen". So my 2 favorite everyday pens are this and my Gold-and Lacquer Cap-O-Matic. The Fisher is easier to grab out of a pocket but this is easier to hold correctly and has metal threads on both sides. Incidentally, for me personally I only plan to buy the all stainless Jotter in the future, not the half plastic ones. Those look really cool, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, I sometimes need my pen to survive being clipped into a front pants pocket and that seems to require all metal construction. Finally, I know refills quality can vary, and it looks to me like Parker QC on this point is slightly hit or miss. Some reviewers swear they've been writing for 40 years with never a skip, others seem to see it regularly. Personally, I see no reason to bother rolling the dice as I like writing with Fisher cartridges anyway. Oh I also forgot, nation of origin can vary as Parker seems to have moved the production facility once or twice in recent years. My example says it was made in France.

PS (This really is the last note) this is currently the cheapest the pen costs on amazon, and it does NOT come with a gift box. That was fine for me as it was from myself to myself, but if you're giving it to someone else, you might want to spend 2 or 3 bucks more for the presentation box. Happy shopping.
on October 20, 2015
The pen doesn't work and apparently there is no way to return it? Why would this be the case when the pen clearly has old ink which you can't even make a dot or anything with it.... Basically this is just the pen with no ink. This is not what I paid for. I want to return it
review image
on January 7, 2013
Jotters used to be excellent pens. Heavy with thick metal and a solid ink system. Sad to say these have lost their quality. They're typical $3 pens now, at best. Absolutely nothing special. It's pretty clear that the company has drastically reduced what it costs to make one and is simply riding out the Parker name until people wise up and stop paying 2-3 times what these pens are worth.

Sad to see a brand die like this.
on September 3, 2014
Bought a few of these to replace my Zebra F-701s which I have been using for the last 3 years. Ultimately made the switch from Zebra to Parker because I received a bad batch of Zebra refills which pissed me off, and the Jotter will accept Fisher Space Pen and gel refills without modification which is what I plan to upgrade to once the original fills dry up.

So far, my impressions of the Jotter are good. There will be some comparisons between the Jotter and F-701 throughout this review. The Jotter is a smooth, elegant stainless steel pen. Its metal does not seem as thick and sturdy as the F-701. It is definitely lighter than the F-701. Update: after using these pens for some time, I take back my initial comment about the quality of construction. The pen body is rigid and tough and it instills confidence. I was used to the beefy construction of the F-701, so the smaller, thinner Jotter seemed "weaker" in comparison but it's not. The clicker mechanism is awesome - it produces a very authoritative CLICK, unlike the softer click of the F-701. I even proudly demonstrated this to my girlfriend and she looked at me unimpressed. The ink quality is unremarkable - the Jotter writes like any other cheap pen I've ever used. It took a few seconds of scribbling to get the pens working when I first received them. I have average-sized hands (7.5" from bottom of wrist to middle finger) and the Jotter fits in them well. I don't think that I miss the knurled grip of the F-701, as it would start to wear on the side of my middle finger after a while. The smooth Jotter barrel is comfortable to hold, although it is inherently less grippy. The F-701's clip is way better. It slides over my front shirt pocket and holds the pen in place with no problem. The Jotter's clip is equally secure, but it does not slide onto anything easily - I've actually had to "open" the clip up to slide the Jotter into my pocket, my notebook's pen holder, even a few sheets of paper. It's too tight. Update: the clip also has a tendency to dig into one's hand. It sort of stabs the base of my index finger, requiring me to spin the pen around so the clip is facing out. I consider this a minor inconvenience.

Overall I'm pleased. I like the Jotter and F-701 for different reasons. The Jotter is classy and refined, and the F-701 is tough and utilitarian, so choose accordingly. Personally, the greater variety of refills that do not require modifications for the Jotter is what tipped the scales.