4.0 out of 5 stars Spectra 360 and Buh-Bump
Published on May 11, 2009 by Robert J. Emmons

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
I got this in hopes it would save my TENS patches a little longer life, but there seems to be no difference.
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Spectra 360 and Buh-Bump, May 11, 2009
I have tried both Spectra 360 gel (about $9 for 8.5 oz) and Buh-Bump cream (about $7.50 for 2.5 oz) to improve the functioning of my heart rate monitor (HRM) chest strap. I prefer Spectra 360. Both products provided a good stable connection and heart rate readings. Spectra is a substantial clear gel that adheres well when you apply it to the chest strap. Buh-Bump is a thin liquid cream that tends to run and drip off the chest strap. Spectra cost me about $1/oz while Buh-Bump cost about $3/oz.

I need a reliable HRM reading because I use a treadmill program which sets the treadmill speed based on my heart rate. If my chest strap does not make a good connection, the heart rate reading jumps around, and the treadmill goes a little berserk trying to get my heart rate reading to the target rate.

Both products provided a good HRM chest strap connection, but Spectra 360 was cheaper and easier and more pleaseant to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well!, September 12, 2005
I'm using this stuff to get good reliable readings from a heart rate monitor that I wear during excercise sessions. It takes only a drop, and it works really well! Solves the problem of getting good steady readings from the monitor, especially when you're not all sweated up from the exercise. Cleans up very easily too. Also, because it takes so little, one tube of this stuff should last for a really long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for TENS Users, September 2, 2011
Mary W (West Tennessee) - See all my reviews
Before I purchased this product, I used a TENS prep that was essentially nothing more than rubbing alcohol. However, this product greatly increases the conductivity between the electrodes and my body. As a result, it has greatly increased the pain relieving benefit that I receive from my TENS unit. Anyone who uses a TENS unit should purchase this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, August 8, 2007
Elliot Berman (Plantation, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I also use this on my Polar Excercise Heart Rate Monitor belt for a smooth contact to my chest. I use just a small amount,and it works extremely well. It's not greasy at all, and I can wipe the belt clean after the workout as easily as if it were just water. Actually, it's the same brand that the Polar web site sold for the belt, and I can see why. It's a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, it works, nice big tube., October 16, 2009
I bought this to bring the pads back to life on my Slendertone Flex Go Abdominal Toning System (Unisex) rather than buying new pads, which are too pricey. This did the trick, the pads are more comfortable with this on them due to better contact with my skin. Good deal. Get some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart attack? Or just bad contact?, April 4, 2010
I was registering some crazy heart-rate spikes in the beginning of my runs with my HR monitor, and a bit of web reading stopped me from heading to the doctor with a printout (look Doc! 215 bpm!) to try this. Sure enough, a good contact because of this gel, and I show a nice, smooth transition from resting HR to workout rate, without the funky spikes along the way that are the result of bad contact between the HR monitor strap and my chicken chest.

Get this, especially if you are a chestmeatless little wuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars works well, November 1, 2010
I was having trouble with the Garmin "premium" heart rate strap setting off alerts because of a poor contact. I would usually get a heart rate reading of over 200, sometimes when I was starting out, sometimes when I was cycling faster, or maybe when it was cold or dry out.

Normally, wetting the contact points of the strap worked fine with my old polar heart rate strap, but the garmin is a different animal.

So I would have to stop and fiddle with the strap, which was frustrating because my averages were messed up by the high values and the stopping.

This gel fixed it all. Little dab and I got a good contact, all ride long with zero false readings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dab Will Do Ya..., February 2, 2011
If you use a heart rate monitor for health or measuring workout statistics this gel is worth its weight in gold. I use a Polar F11 heart rate monitor. Before using the gel, I would have inconsistent connections at the start of my cycling or elliptical workouts (before generating any sweat) and interruptions in connection after 2 hours or so of riding. I would try to adjust the chest strap while riding (dangerous) and this sometimes would work, sometimes not. If you are really into maintaining accurate records of your workouts this is frustrating. I tried a new chest strap, replacement batteries in strap and receiver but this was not the root cause. I purchased an 8.5 oz tube of this gel and have been using it for 10 months. I wet the chest strap with warm water and apply a one inch line onto the two chest contact strips. I also place a dot onto each of the transmitters buttons before snapping it onto the front of the chest strap. Then I put on the strap- no need to have it fit tight. I have used the gel over 200 times for roughly 350 hours and have not had a single lost connection- not one. The gel is easily removed with water and does not stain nylon/spandex/cotton based fabrics. It also does not adversely affect the strap or contact points of the transmitter. At this point I have only used about an ounce. The tube has a beefy screw cap which prevents water from evaporating out of an opened tube. The 8.5 oz tube will last a long long time. If you use a heart rate monitor and want consistent operation BUY this gel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a TENS unit, July 28, 2011
The gel conducts the electricity from a TENS unit well. It increases the useful life of the electrode pads, because they can adhere to skin with the gel after the original adhesive has worn off. The bottle is large & a little dab is sufficient to work, so it lasts a long time. It makes operating a TENS unit a much better value. I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use this gel for my HRM, December 29, 2010
I was having a little trouble with my HRM chest strap picking up my heart rate when I was cold. Would have to break a sweat for the monitor to pick up my heart rate. After using this gel my HRM picks up my heart rate as soon as the strap is put on. Good product.

Rate and Discover Movies