5.0 out of 5 stars Fun addition to my morning routine
Published on December 31, 2009 by Digital Shrink

3.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME Brush, BUT something to consider...........
Published 23 months ago by B. Cuellar

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun addition to my morning routine, December 31, 2009
Digital Shrink (near Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush (Chrome Handle) and Free Shaving Brush Stand (Health and Beauty)
A friend of mine who sees my scruffy face every day suggested that I spend some time with the folks at The Art of Shaving store at our local mall. I went into the store, and was demonstrated the process they sell (a pretreatment oil, badger hair brush, shave soap, and after shave balm). They have sets of varying smells and components, but I soon realized that I was really just interested in the brush itself.

They sell a line of brushes that range from around $50 to over $200. The $50 brush seemed like something you might find on the clearance rack at K-mart, and so I passed. The $200 brush seemed like one I would enjoy using, but didnt want to spend anywhere near that amount. The prices at the store were ridiculous I felt, so I left the store and came home to Amazon and found this product, the silvertip badger brush. I ordered it at once, and it promptly arrived just two or three days later. As it was my first brush, I really didn't have much to compare it to, that is until I went back to The Art of Shaving Store and realized that its actually nicer than their $200 model. On mine, the bristles are softer, the fit and finish is better, and the bristles stay put (the one at the store that they were trying to sell me appeared to be shedding).

This shave brush is a great weight... thats the first thing I noticed when I picked it up. Its like that line from the movie Snatch when Boris is discussing a gun with another character in a Russian accent that "heavy means quality." It just sinks into your hand and stays there, like it was meant to be there. You dont have to be a super heavyweight champion to operate this thing, but its a positive full feeling.

The next great thing about the brush are the bristles (of course). They are soft and hold great amounts of water... just what you want when going for that perfect lather. A couple of passes under the steaming hot tap water and the brush is ready for its soap. A few swirls on the face, and your scruff is buried in rich creamy soapy lather, attributed to the ability of the brush bristles. Such a little amount of shave soap is needed for such a great lather... and this brush is the champion.

I was a little concerned that continue squeezing and wringing of the brush may cause some of the bristles to come out. I was wrong. I have had this product since early October 2009 (its now December 31), and with regular use, I havent noticed a single bristle come out. Cleaning this brush is very easy too... a few more passes under the tap, squeeze out the water, and hang in the provided stand to dry. Its a great addition to any man's shaving routine.

I fully intend on purchasing this again, and from this seller, but to be honest, with how this brush is lasting, I'm not sure when I will need to buy another one; it seems as though it may outlast my shaving days! Good product, and good shipping time.

UPDATE: Today is December 30, 2012 and I am still using the same brush purchased in December 2009. Still have not seen any bristles come out of the brush. Chrome still shines bright. I wish I could give the seller more business but I dont need to because the brush is still wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drop what you're doing and buy one., June 10, 2011
It's an excellent brush. Very little shedding, absorbs a ton of water, creates a phenomenal lather. Combine it with a good shaving soap (I like Proraso Shaving Soap 5.2 oz (147 g), personally) and a decent razor, and you're well on your way to the best shave of your life. On top of that, you will save money over time because shaving soap is far cheaper than shaving cream.

Everyone has his own method, but if you're new to this game, here's mine: Fill half the basin of your sink with the hottest water you can get out of the tap, and place a mug full of this water in the basin. (this allows the mug itself to heat up, which will keep the lather warmer longer.) Let the mug and the brush soak in this water for about two minutes. Squeeze most of the water out of the brush, and swirl your brush in some shaving soap, 4-5 rotations, like you're mixing with a paint brush. No need to overdo it. Then empty most of the hot water out of the mug, saving just enough water to coat the bottom of the mug, and work up a warm, thick lather in the mug, adding water as needed. Then come back and write a review of the best shave of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weight, February 8, 2010
I have been wet shaving for a few years now and have gone through several brushes over the years. Everything through lowly (by shave nerd standards) Evelyn & Crabtree (re-branded EJ's) $35 brushes all the way up to upper-end silvertip Vulfix brushes.

If you want bang for your buck this is it. Just as another reviewer stated the first thing you notice about this brush is the weight. I believe the handle is completely solid, I would guess its a solid 5 or 6 ounces. Its almost weapon quality. The actual brush itself is wonderful, it holds *almost* as much water as my $100+ brushes, at half the price!

Although this brush does not carry much weight on the shave forums because it would be considered "cheap" HUGE mistake. You are getting Ferrari performance on Honda money. A great buy.

***Most importantly, the seller is personable AND responds to e-mails*** That alone makes it a worthwhile purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, January 15, 2011
Great shaving brush. Heavy weight handle feels like quality in your hand. The stand it comes with is functional but basically a joke. Smells like a wet badger, hopefully some of that will wear off with use. Recommended for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful old school brush with modern style, October 21, 2012
The Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush (Chrome Handle) and Free Shaving Brush Stand, is truly a great product. High quality badger hair is properly attached to the very heavy and perfectly made chrome handle. A few hairs came out in the first week, which seems appropriate for this design. After that original "break-in" period, it just simply works. The badger hair is just firm enough to deliver the shaving paste evenly and is soft enough to feel great on my face. It also holds a tremendous amount of water which is key to a great shave. I tried to use my hands to apply the shaving cream before I bought this brush and found that I could never get it to fully convert to foam. So, I would have a layer of soap left after shaving and rinsing. This brush completely eliminates that issue and makes for a great shave.

I highly recommend this shaving brush and Parker Shaving. I will be ordering a heavyweight razor and stand from Parker Shaving soon. They seem like a classy old school kind of company, selling classy old school kind of products.

5.0 out of 5 stars impressive brush & even more amazing customer service, August 29, 2012
Here's my story....
I knew that I'd the most sensitive skin ever on this planet. Ever since I began to shave, (hand application of shaving creme without the brush) resulted in rashes. I was frustrated and clearly I was not doing it right (or perhaps I thought I was alergic to shaving cream/brush!!). So much that I began to shave on alternate days. I researched many websites, watched loads of Utube videos for "THE BEST SHAVING" TECHNIQUES. I came across SilverTip badger brush and wanted to give it a shot as I heard a lot of great reviews and one day I purchased this brush..... almost out of impulse I'd say. Initially I was glad that I did and the shaving was so "smooth" , no more rashes. I was so thrilled that I began to shave almost every day without the side effects. I'd used the brush for 4 months...it lathered great and an excellent product every man should have.
But last week the brush popped out of the handle. I was dissapointed, just when I thought I'd "cracked" the ART OF SHAVING. This was my first brush which was simply amazing and that too an expensive one!! Moreover, I wasn't even sure if the Seller would honor my purchase and either replace or repair the defective brush. So based on the suggestion from other Amazonites, I left my feedback for the seller. I was surprised to hear back from the Seller almost immediately. The Seller replaced my brush within 3 days ....NO QUESTIONS ASKED!! I'm extremely delighted with seller's speedy response.
I highly recommend this product (especially to those with ULTRA-SENSITIVE skin like I do!!). ....a great product will result in a great shave and an EXCELLENT service leaves a customer satisfied...What more can one ask for!! Now, I'm looking forward to my shave tomorrow :-))

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable luxury, November 22, 2011
I've owned this brush for almost two years. I'd been using a brush and mug for as long as I can remember, but just a basic pure badger brush and drug store shaving soap. My kids bought me this brush for Christmas (after some pretty broad hints), and I ordered some nice Classic Shaving shaving soap, and my whole world changed. As others have mentioned, the heft of this brush is substantial, which I really like. I shave in the shower, and after rinsing it under the shower head I shake the excess water out pretty vigorously before hanging it to dry. The first time I did that it flew out of my hand, and I thought it would break the glass shower door. Since then I've been careful to get a firm grip before shaking!

This brush has a very full head, and I have yet to notice a single bristle falling out. Two years of daily use and it's still as full, soft and fluffy as day one. I would heartily recommend this brush to anyone wanting to upgrade their shaving experience. It is probably the last brush you'll ever need to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME Brush, BUT something to consider..........., November 14, 2012
I was so excited about getting this brush in the mail. I did a bunch of research and the reviews are obviously very good so I felt confident about my purchase. There is one thing that the reviews for this product don't include and that is the size of the brush. Nowhere in the item description does it give you the measurements, which they need to seriously consider doing. This brush would be a fantastic brush for someone who likes a floppy brush. But with a loft set around 60mm this thing doesn't have the backbone that I expect my brushes to have. If you're a face lather look somewhere else. But if you lather in a bowl and prefer a painting motion to apply the lather to your face then this brush is for you. It's incredibly soft and feels great on the face and I had no problems with it. The other thing is the weight. This is more of a personal preference too. So at the end of the day this is a great brush, but it's just not what I'm looking for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle and bristles have separated, September 13, 2012
J. Hutton "jhutton91" (Flower Mound, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This was my first shaving brush and the bristles are great! Soft and lather-inducing. The problem is that the epoxy that holds that glorious bundle of silvertips in place gave it up after about three months of normal use. I can still work it, but for $60+, while not the high-end, I would expect the thing to hold up longer than that. Fortunately the material they used to bind the bristles together is still holding up. It looks reparable so I plan to clean out the original epoxy (I guess that's what that is) and get some JB Weld down in there to see how that does.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the arsenal, June 30, 2011
MN Snowman (Shoreview, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Each morning I do battle with that omnipresent and endless foe: the beard. I began wet shaving several years ago and used a plain-Jane mousy brush. Decided to splurge and invest more money with this brush and will never look back.

As others have commented, the heft of this brush is unsurpassed. You realize from the git-go that this weapon takes its role seriously.if you've been laying off the forearm curls, I'd recommend some pre-order weight training to maximize your stamina once it arrives and is deployed.

The brush holds a prodigious amount of water-- all the better to whip up the lather.

I use Proraso and often lather on the battlefield rather than in a mug. The bristles are perfect for this and I must have cut 30-45 seconds off my morning shave routine. I plan to accumulate the saved time and work on my joke-telling techniques by end of year.