5.0 out of 5 stars Parker Sonnet fountain pen
Published on April 17, 2011 by Anne in Florida

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pen but heavier!
The pen does write very smoothly and it is nicely made. Personally, I found it weighed more than what I am accustomed to and this the reason for my rating. Someone will like the feel and weight.
Published 14 months ago by Robert F Alcarez

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Parker Sonnet fountain pen, April 17, 2011
This review is from: Parker Sonnet Stainless Steel GT Medium Point Fountain Pen S0809120 (Office Product)
I bought this in late December to have a pen for class. I am working on my masters and take plenty of notes and I was sick and tired of cheap, plastic, throw-away pens. I was looking for something both durable and relatively ecologically sound. Plus I have always wanted a decent fountain pen, and I don't have a ton of money to throw away on one, so this fit the bill. It is pretty and feels solid, has a nice, balanced weight in the hand, ink flows smoothly and there is no scratchiness to the nib. I gave it 5 stars, but would rate it about 4.5 mostly because this workhorse runs through ink pretty quickly, and I find myself either changing cartridges relatively often or refilling the refillable cartridge... Although maybe I shouldn't be so harsh since I am using this for taking notes and I do write a lot. After using this every day for nearly four months I must say I am happy with my purchase and would recommend this pen as a nice entry-level fountain pen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writes Amazing!, April 1, 2013
Length:: 0:39 Mins

This is just a short video of what the pen looks like and how it writes. No talking, just a little demonstration of what you're buying. I am personally very happy with this purchase - It looks amazing, writes really well (once you figure out the angle you need to hold it), and is very well made. It feels heavy - which I actually like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice, June 14, 2011
Judith J. Johnson (El Dorado, AR United States) - See all my reviews
I am so very, very pleased with my Parker Sonnet fountain pen! I am a collector, of sorts, and had been given some birthday money for a splurge. I had the itch for a new pen so I visited several sites and marked several favorites. I do not have any other Parkers but I kept coming back to this one; it just appealed to me somehow. I absolutely love my new pen; it writes so smoothly and is so comfortable in my hand. This pen will not sit in my display case; it is going to be my everyday friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite pen, May 17, 2011
I do a lot of writing in my work and this stainless steel Sonnet with the gold trim is my workhorse. The gold is wonderfully rich and lustrous and the pen is a butter smooth writer. Two years of solid use so far. The only comment I would make is that it is a rather "wet" writer. Actually, I love wet writers, where the ink flows easily and I can make notes quickly in interviews but if you prefer something finer and scratchier this might not be the choice for you. A classic pen too...I inherited 1960s Parker pens from my parents and chances are you'll end up handing this on too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parker Sonnet Stainless Steel GT Medium Point Fountain Pen, January 24, 2012
I shopped a long time to find this pen. It paid off because I absolutely love it. Excellent grip, great flow and no ink blobs. I also ordered packages of reflill cartridges. It is perfect for letter writing and note taking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., September 24, 2012
Tony (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This pen is both elegant and functional. It is heavy on the ink which was an issue at first because I use a rough, handmade paper journal. I quickly changed my writing style, however, to accommodate the extra flow of ink to prevent bleeding. This is not so much an issue on standard paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful pen., August 5, 2011
This pen is simply amazing. Looks great, and writes great. Comes with a converter and a cartridge so you can pick either. I am using the converter with Parker's Quink ink, and I cannot express my satisfaction with this utensil. Sometimes the nib is hard to start, but I think that's user error more then anything. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Fountain Pen, February 24, 2011
This is a delicate unrivaled writing instrument in the world, it writes very smooth and with very nice outlook. I love it very much!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pen but heavier!, February 17, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect fountain pen, January 31, 2013
This is every bit as good a fountain pen as other reviewers say it is. I bought it in my endless quest for the perfect pen, and it's just shy of that for me, because it's just a little too small to be comfortable in my large hand (I'm 6' 3"). Everything else about it is terrific, though.

As reviewers say, it's indeed a "wet writer," which means that the medium nib doesn't scratch but floats effortlessly over the page and makes writing pure pleasure -- which is a chief reason why you want a fountain pen in the first place. In fact, I like writing with it better than my far more expensive fountain pens -- I have two Mont Blancs, the huge one and the medium one, and the Parker -- which costs a tiny fraction of what the MBs do -- is the pen I find myself picking up when I just want to write (I save the big MB for signing treaties and bazillion-dollar checks).

I bought a Pelikan M600 (at five times the cost of the Parker) that fits my hand better than the Parker, but the nib feels more fragile and pliable than the bulletproof Parker nib, so I find myself babying the Pelikan while I write, which takes more effort and is less comfortable.

There are some minor drawbacks to the Parker. Like any fountain pen, it'll go dry if you leave it uncapped without writing for a few minutes. And its reservoir (you gotta use bottle ink to have the full experience) is smaller than I'd prefer, a byproduct of its slim size.

If Parker made a thicker version of this same pen, I'd buy it and end my quest for perfection. Despite its less-than-ideal size for my hand, though, it's the best-writing pen I own.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›