NOTE: This can be found on Amazon for $300

Ok, I own one of these as well as a DJI Phantom. The Phantom is the best drone ever made and some of the best money I ever spent. However, the Phantom v1 with built-in camera costs $500, which is $200 more than the Parrot. The basic model Phantom is $400, but you need to have a GoPro camera to take video...
Published 4 months ago by Alex

2.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't buy one.
Published 3 months ago by NAS-Guy

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the second best drone on the market. Would be 5 stars except for a few shortcomings., March 23, 2014
Alex (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
NOTE: This can be found on Amazon for $300

What this drone does good:
It is simple to fly and pretty stable. I've taken it out in 15mph winds and it handled fine. Anyone can fly it without experience, and after a few hours of flight time you will be a master. The camera takes decent video which streams to your phone or tablet real-time and the video is automatically saved to your photos. It is pretty rugged and can hold up to some crashes. At $300 it comes with everything you need to fly, and it is ready to go right out of the box.

So, why only 4 stars? The main drawback is the control system. It connects to your phone or tablet via WiFi. In other words, the Parrot creates its own WiFi network, and when you connect to that WiFi network you can then use the app to fly the drone. There are two problems with this: First, it only has the range of a WiFi network, which means that at best you can only fly it around 35 yards away from you before the signal gets weak. Compare that to the average standard 2.4ghz R/C transmitter (like the Phantom uses) which has a range of about a mile. Second, since you use the phone as a control, you control it using the touch screen. If you have ever played a FPS or other type of video game on a touch screen you know how much less sensitive it is than using joysticks (i.e. like the joysticks on your PlayStation or XBox remote). You can also use motion control to fly the Parrot. This means when you hold down a "button" on the app, it will move in the way you tilt your phone. Tilt your phone left and it flies left, tilt it forward and the Parrot flies forward. This works really well, as well as it possibly could- but it's STILL not as sensitive as a joystick would be. If they gave you the option to use a transmitter to control it rather than just your phone, this would be a 5 star product.

So now I will talk about it compared to the Phantom: the Phantom is more stable, more powerful and faster, can fly farther, and is easier to control. I have taken the Phantom to the edge of the legal flying height for R/C vehicles (400 feet), I have made it zip around at 20 meters per second (45 mph) and with the GoPro3 it takes insanely good HD video and photos. However, the Phantom v1 with a built-in camera is $500, and the basic model (which I bought for $400) needs a GoPro to take video.

So my final verdict is this:

If you already have a GoPro- it's a no-brainer. Get the Phantom. The extra $50-$100 is TOTALLY worth it. Same if you want a drone and don't care about recording video.

If you don't have a GoPro and don't mind spending around $500, get the Phantom.

If you don't want to spend any more than $300 because of your budget, or because you want a drone but don't want to spend more than $300 for what is essentially a toy, get this.

It is worth the price, and you will have tons of fun with it.

TIP: Buy an extra battery. Each battery has approximately 10 minutes of flying time and takes about 1 hour to charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ar drone elite, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Quadricopter - Wifi - Free App iOS & Android - Record HD 720p movies - Sand (Electronics)
My wife bought this drone for me Christmas, it has been a ton of fun thus far. The learning curve was about 10 minutes or one flight. The battery only lasts 11 min at best, so I bought an extra high density battery between the two I get approx 23-26 mins of flight time back to back. I have flown it and crashed it around 9 times and it has held up very well without any broken parts and it goes right back up in the air no problems. I have ordered some spare parts just in case. The camera, well it's lacking HD quality like a go pro or similar camera, it has high def moments but otherwise lacks clarity and the quality it boasts. Everything else they boast about works as expected and I would recommend this to anyone wanting to have some fun without a lot of hassle. Great gift and lots of fun.

4 stars because of battery life and low quality camera

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD!, February 27, 2014
It's good, I like it but if you like long range flying then the wifi on it's not very dependable. Other than that, it's pretty cool.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't buy one., April 20, 2014
I purchased three of these. One for each of my kids. And yes; they are the coolest toy ever. But the happy look on their faces when they would fly them did not make up for the extreme disappointment when they would lose connectivity and fly a way. All three of them. We were able to recover one. And we know where the other one is; stuck in a tree. When they are responsive they are incredibly cool toys; but all three of them at one time or another would suddenly drop connectivity and just wander off. Do yourself a favor, but RC. WiFi is unreliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent For Beginners and Seasoned R/C Pilots!, June 21, 2014
this is a great introduction to arial photography and Quad copters. I have been flying it everyday since getting it and the excitement still has'nt worn off.

Beginners will be able to fly right out of the box and someone like myself can set the app up to act more like an RC transmitter.

A really cool feature is the ability for this copter to stay in the same spot. all you do is let go of the screen and it just sits there so you can snap pictures or change a setting. A lot of Fun and very durable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything it promised to be!, June 17, 2014
I gave this five stars because it delivered everything it promised to. Very easy to fly and captures video from either of two onboard cameras. I would suggest at least one extra battery, because the battery (as in all flying toys needing batteries) runs out long before you're done flying. If you can't stand the "jello" of the videos, try taking few still photos from your drone. I can't understand why someone would want to spend large sums of money on other flying video drones before learning to use something cheap like this. If you can't afford $250 - $300 to fly (and crash) this, you really can't afford something like the DJI Phantom. I hope to fly this for a month or so and then move up to a more expensive version. Then my husband can have this one to hack to his heart's content. He's already researching mods! Oh, and do yourself a favor and check out [...] where you can learn all you need to know about this little drone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing agility and performance, March 5, 2014
This Drone is definitely the coolest gadget I've ever owned. It took a few flights to get the hang of it but now I can fly like a Pro! I brought this bad boy to the courtyard of my job and I was able to go 100 feet (about 30 meters) high with no loss of connectivity (I didn't stay there long, I'm not a mad man) I did break the foam bumper on my third indoor flight but the included double sided clear tape had it up and running looking and flying perfect in no time. My dog is scared of this thing but the cats don't even budge, which is odd because usually it's the opposite.

Make sure you get extra HD batteries and switch the app to HD Battery in settings to get the most out of it. I would even recommend a second charger so you can keep multiple batteries charging.

2.0 out of 5 stars So close..., May 9, 2014
This quadricopter met and exceeded every expectation, except one.

It was almost totally uncontrollable and would randomly fly off into walls etc. I learned where the emergency stop button was very quickly.

It's a real shame because for the small moments that it actually worked, it was amazing. The video it takes is good quality, the pre-programmed flip works flawlessly, the overall presence of the copter in general is just great. It was so good it almost made me want to keep it and begin a life of customization to make it fly properly.

Sadly though, after googling the issues I was having, it's got some known issues that require a lot of effort to fix.

First, one of more of my copter blades was not the same shape as the rest. This made the copter lose altitude whenever it moved and then try to climb it's way back up. It also, made the copter pull to the right constantly. You can fix this if you want to grab a blow dryer and try to manually melt and re-shape your blades, which looked fairly straight forward but was a bit excessive in my opinion for something I spent $300 on.

Second, since this uses wifi to control, if you are in an area that has other wifi signals it can make your copter literally fly away by itself. In particular mine seemed to love to try and fly up as high as it could go regardless of my commands to stop. If this was 1990 and wifi wasn't everywhere, then I guess this wouldn't be an issue. But in this day and age unless you live in the middle of nowhere, anywhere you go is going to be flooded with wifi, which make controlling the copter all but impossible.

So I returned my copter... I didn't want to, as I said, if you've never had a drone before, it's even cooler than you think it's going to be. But I can't justify spending $300 on something that randomly smashes itself into the wall and attempts to fly away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish the video quality was better, but all in all I feel that I ..., July 1, 2014
Wish the video quality was better, but all in all I feel that I got my money's worth. Love watching this thing stabilize and compensate for the wind. Bottom facing camera doesn't feed video to your phone or tablet but it does detect drift and almost effortlessly compensates to stay in place.
Bottom ultrasonic range sensor detects distance from ground, hovers perfectly at set height.
This thing is impressive and fun to fly but after getting my feet wet it gave me the itch to get a "real" quadcopter. Picked up a cheap beginners quad at the hobby shop and it is way more fun and challenging to fly. In the process of building a custom quad now.
Highly recommend the AR drone for someone who wants something easy to fly with a video feed.

1.0 out of 5 stars It is a big piece of junk. WI-FI disconnects ..., July 13, 2014
It is a big piece of junk. WI-FI disconnects within 30sec. of take off. Then you have to hold on to it and by the time you get the Wi-Fi to reconnect and go back to flight it disconnects. You will spend more time wasting you time with the WI-FI than flying it. Needs to go back to China and thrown in the trash.

Rate and Discover Movies