Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Quadricopter Controlled by iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, and Android Devices - Orange/Green (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on January 5, 2013
Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 w/Driod2 worked perfectly right out of the box. Following the instructions at the "Parrot USA" website it connected flawlessly to my Droid2 from Motorola using "FreeFlight" for Android software (app). I only had one problem when trying to adjust the flight settings the software hung and became unresponsive. I had to remove the battery from the Droid 2 to reset it but that's the software. I have only flown it a few times indoors but it was easy to master using the "Absolute Control" feature and lowering the "Flight" settings (responsiveness). With the absolute control function the drone always moves in relation to the phone and it doesn't matter what the orientation or position the drone is in. That makes it easy for new non-RC flyers. One caution; make sure your Droid compass is calibrated properly and the flight setting are low or the Drone will crash into a wall real quick. Been there, done that. But, if set up properly a 8 year old could fly it easily. I was surprised at how responsively the Droid could control the movements of the Drone. Just the slightest tilt of the phone and the drone would respond. The camera work well in low light conditions but I had to place some objects on the floor for the drone to see and maintain hover position. I may add comments as I go through the "Record" and USB functions but so far I'm well pleased with the advanced technology the drone offers. And, if you research other products with the same capability the price is right also. I have no affiliation with any entity that sells this product monetarily or otherwise. J. Daniel, Florida.

Update 1/5/13 2 PM EST
The USB function worked flawlessly (Plug & Play) using Kinston thumb drive ( DT 101 G2) 8Gb. Video is clear sharp HD MP4 file. Video was clear close up and at a distance, worked well in low light conditions and surprisingly stable if you don't jerk the drone around. I used the USB function because a video file is quite large and didn't want to load up my phone with large files. It's also easer to download the files to a computer. But, if you are always on the fly you may want to use the direct record function i.e. to the phone.
All in all I would recommend this product to anyone who can put a child's bicycle together on Christmas day, is ready to research and read a lot of instructions, has some phone and computer literacy. As it states in the manual, " This not a toy". It requires proper set up and supervision if you give it to a child. It's also not a professional photographer's dream-- those cost 7 to 10k dollars. But, it does produce high quality video and entertainment for the average person.
on December 16, 2013
It is a grown mans toy! I would take it to park with me and fly it around. Battery time could be improved but I ended up spending another # 200 on buying a OEM battery and charger. That gave me 10-12 minutes of flying time for each battery. With three batteries and 30 minutes of flying time - I was happy by the time all three lasted.

This is a great toy for all you enthusiasts. I am going to wait for one that has a better battery life and a bigger range of flight! Here is to wishing a GSM version of it!
on May 8, 2013
I recently purchased the ar drone and its so fun and easy to use. I've prolly only had 5 flights under my belt but they've all been fun. I also highly recommend a bigger battery. I purchased a 2000mah battery and get about 20-25 min of flight time. Over all its a fun gadget/toy.
on December 22, 2012
First time doing a review and since Amazon requires you to choose at least one star to post it, I just want to say NEGATIVE STARS for this piece of crap. Got two yesterday, one for myself and one for my nephew. Charged battery. Loaded Android software on my Samsung Epic phone and followed the directions. It worked erratically for about 4 minutes. Kept losing connection. It was late so decided to try the next day. Today started it up connected the battery and could not get a wifi connection. Tried with my Galaxy tab, no. Tried with galaxy player, no. Then after several tries I was able to connect again with my phone but the software still said NO WIFI CONNECTION even though it was connected, Uninstalled and reinstalled software. redid everything and still does not work. no it isnt the pairing thing I shoul dbe able to connect with other devices. I read that indoors the wifi network can cause interference. I unplugged my regular home network and still had all the same trouble. There is no way I will ever give this for a present to anyone, giving someone the flu would be a better experience. $300 of my money to pay for hours of nothing but dissapointment, after such anticipation that this would be a cool toy for me and another one for this great little kid. I blame myself for not reading the reviews first from all the dissapointed people that bought this and it did not work.

Please note, I previously added the above review for the earlier parrot ar model by mistake and have since deleted it from there. This review is for the parrot ar drone 2.0.
on September 3, 2012
This is a nice toy. I flew mine yesterday using my iPad as the controller. It flew fine although it did take a few minutes to get used to.

First let me say packaging for this was horrible. It came in a box with another item I had purchased. The shipping box was twice as long as the box with the drone and the second item was very small. So, the shipping box bent and ripped during shipment. When it arrived the top was nearly completely ripped open and one of the sides wasn't in much better shape. It's amazing the shipping box survived at all and that nothing fell out!

At around ten minutes, battery life is very short and remember it take 90 minutes to charge the battery after that ten minutes of flying.

I'm having some trouble getting mine to take pictures - I purchased a USB thumb drive and thought I took about ten pictures but there is nothing on the drive. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with formating the drive - the instructions say nothing about this.

Also, the images from the bottom facing camera are a mess - they appear red and full of noise. They appear as if there is a piece of tape over the lens. That said I notice nothing in the instructions about removing any tape and there is no tape that seems as if it's meant to be removed.
on July 13, 2014
Fun, but only for 9-10 minutes before it's time to recharge. The propeller guard is heavy and warped; the unit does not do well at all when there's much wind; top altitude I can get is about 3.7m; and the control range is only 50m with no return to home function, so don't let it get too far away from you. Also, the whole iPhone control thing is gimmicky; it works ok but is nowhere near as manageable as a proper RC control unit and it's a pain to use, even the newer version of the app that gives virtual joysticks.

The primary benefits - built in camera, (no audio); ready to fly out of the box; generally fun.

$300...? No - there are better units on the market that are just a little bit more. If you're looking for a first run with quadricopters, there are minis that run $50 or less and offer just as much fun (Hubsan H107L).
on February 20, 2014
This was an expensive toy and man is it fun once you get the hang of it. I used it to sell my house - to take a video of the house from angles that would have otherwise been impossible, and I even flew it first around the house shooting video and then through the house, in and out of doors and windows. It took a while to stitch all the video together but in the end it was awesome and I could never have shot it this way on my own with a video camera. The only thing is that the website advertisement on their site is BS - the range of this unit is extremely limited and that's a shame because otherwise I would have rated it 5 stars.
on January 26, 2014
Got this a couple months ago and have been having a ton of fun with it. I'd highly recommend getting some spare batteries as you will want them to extend flight time. Control is very simple from my S3 and you'll be able to pick it up and fly it immediately, but it's also engaging enough that you'll continue to improve your control as you put in more flight time. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is every once in a while the it seems to get a little confused with what it is doing, and will either take longer than expected to stabilize itself, or will start drifting on it's own, which could lead to potential damage if your not comfortable controlling it.

Overall, I've loved it, sure, there are better ones on the market, but they also cost a lot more. For the price, this great. The case it comes in also functions as a great carrying and storage case, though I am looking for something more durable to keep it in while traveling.

It's also surprisingly durable, having handled a couple decent sized crashes at the hands of friends, and one run in with a tree when a heavy gust of wind caught it. Only damage so far is a slightly bent propeller shaft. I probably could have straightened it, but decided to just replace it with a new one as replacement parts are not very expensive.
on March 18, 2013
This is truly an awesome device and I liked it so much that I ordered another one! I operate it on my Kindle Fire HD using Joystick settings and then tone down the speed at which it moves. Up, down, left, and right I not near as jerky and doing the same to the Forward and Reverse and L & R turns made a huge improvement in flight control! The range is close to 50 yds and you have to be careful how high you take it, as even the softest of breezes will cause it to drift. The video is awesome from the front camera, but like all the other ratings the bottom camera is worthless. The video controls are different than described with the Kindle. You can take photo's (Pics) and they are sent to your Kindle. I would not take a Video UNLESS I had a flash drive installed. You must push the REC button and you must stop the recording (push it again) while you still have battery power. Also in your settings you must have the USB Rec turned on! Overall, it's truly awesome. The Software program I use is the ARDrone from Parrot for the Kindle. I had purchased the AR Drone Flight one and found the "free" AR Drone program from Parrot MUCH better!
on May 19, 2012
Packaging was adequate and after charging the battery, my drone was fully functional; I couldn't take it outside due to strong winds until last evening, so I started it up inside and quickly discovered how much cat hair is in my living room, when I created two large vortexes of dust bunnies.......after a slight chuckle mixed with choking, i grabbed onto the drone and hit the emergency button, which worked out well but I would recommend that you plan that kind of grab beforehand.

Later once the wind died down, I took the drone out back and started her up...........it was awesome, she floated in place with only a little movement from the 5 mph wind; the controls were very intuitive and it didn't take me long to send her out and back a few times. I have experience with Walkera 4#3Bs, so am not a total novice to flying things; let me tell you, the AR Drone 2.0 is a breeze to fly; the way that it hovers hands off, makes for a relaxing and enjoyable time.

I have not looked at storing video just yet and plan on a few more test flights before doing so.

Let me add one thing; my wife is always hesitant and a little apprehensive when I make purchases like this, but when I made my maiden flight, she ran inside to grab the camera because it looked so cool floating there; she understands how fun this thing will be, taking video of the nieces and nephews, looking at our house from above, etc.......this is a "serious toy", that goes beyond "little helicopters".

The price seems fair and the drone construction is really nice and sturdy; I fly this with my Xoom and am happy with that, but wouldn't mind getting a smart phone just for ease of holding. I ordered a few replacement parts, but am not as worried about damage as I am with my 4#3Bs; this thing just seems to easy to avoid a crash......but in anticipation of a glitch or whatever, better to not wait for parts.

Good luck with yours and I will follow this up with a more complete review after more testing.
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse