4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a step in the right direction for Car Audio
I previously had a Kenwood DNX6190HD and enjoyed the unit. Good navigation, video, and other features but the interface was slow and the screen quality was ok. Same with other units on the market.

Published 18 months ago by WhoseAnthony

!!! EDITED SEE BELOW !!!!

I drive a 2006 Mustang and it looks pretty close to factory.

PROS:
1. Great factory navigation that does not need a internet connection to run (Edit: Navigation broke due to GPS, see below!)
2. Easy flawless bluetooth connection
Published 17 months ago by Mark Hamilton

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a step in the right direction for Car Audio, March 8, 2013
This review is from: Parrot Asteroid SMART Digital Media Receiver with Navigation, Apps, Multimedia and Hands-Free Bluetooth (Electronics)

I have been tracking Asteroid smart for about a year and finally pulled the trigger and am glad i did. The screen on this unit is simply gorgeous! It is fluid and acts just like a typical phone nowadays. The speed of the interface is also super fast. Nothing has to load or tap and wait. It just works. The connectivity is awesome as well. Everything works with USB today and so why not have it in the unit. I can have my iphone 5 charging and playing music, a USB stick with pics and videos for the kids and more. Also this thing looks super slick when installed. My dash of my 2008 GMC Yukon is slightly curved and it sits back just enough to almost look factory. Way better then my old kenwood.

PROS:
Amazing Screen
Touch Input is super accurate
Good navigation
Apps work as described and some android apps can be sideloaded (pandora, plex, netflix, torque)
sound is great even without an amp
4 usb inputs
call quality is perfect
voice recognition is spot on
Bluetooth, Wifi, and USB tethering!
Spotify and TuneIn radio native
Completely customizable android interface

CONS:
Steering wheel controls require a parrot adapter which doesn't work with GM bus
No amp turn on wire in harness
No mute line in wire in harness (none of these are deal breakers)

UPDATE - 10/8/13

I dropped my review to a 4. The unit had/has so much promise but the lack of development and support have all but made it impossible to enjoy. Video playback was pretty much useless and surprisingly once I switched to an Android phone I lost some functionality that I had with my iPhone 5. I ended up selling the unit and moved to a Pioneer AppRadio 3 (even worse)

1.0 out of 5 stars Freakin' (UN) Amazing!! -- Review changed after 1 year of ownership., April 3, 2013
Mark Hamilton (Atlanta, GA, USA) - See all my reviews
!!! EDITED SEE BELOW !!!!

I drive a 2006 Mustang and it looks pretty close to factory.

2. Easy flawless bluetooth connection
3. Easy to bypass the ebrake safety feature just by grounding it to any piece o' metal
4. You can easily load most android apps. Once you fix the ebrake they all work all the time. Just search APK on android market to convert the apps from your phone to APK files. Pop out the 8 gig SD card from the unit. Use your PC to move APK files to SD card then reinsert SD card to SMART. Go thru menus under "Development" to install apps.
5. Voice command standard app works great with pulling up and calling contacts.
6. Handsfree is crystal clear on both sides. I ask everyone I talk to and they can't tell I'm on handsfree. It has a double microphone that has advanced noise cancellation features.
7. I suggest loading Llama into it. My car starts up with a sexy ironman sound, then she says "hello mark, here is todays weather" and it pulls up the weather app from ASteriod market and reads it to me. Can you say Knight Rider?
8. Easy to control audio volume levels. You just swipe up or down and swipe left or right to skip tracks or stations.

CONS:
1. No volume knob.
2. Haven't got Pandora working on it yet. Gives me a critical error. Using bluetooth streaming instead.
3. Bass seems to weird out on me sometimes.
4. SD card is annoying to get out, but not bad.
5. Takes 20 secs to boot up. Runs fast tho once up tho.

!!!! EDITED !!!!!!
(Original listed above)

This product is horrible! It made great promises at first but it since has proven to be a piece of crap! This is my review after having the product a year.

Why you should not buy this product:

1. The gps dongle fails after about 6 months of use. If you try to get a new one Parrot support is extremely rude and unhelpful!! They hung up the phone on me after I had to call back a second time from being put in an endless waiting pattern. After I hit "0" 4,000 I got a live person the second time. The gentleman on the phone was very rude. They say that a gps dongle is a consumable product so they WILL NOT replace.

2. The system itself is very unstable. I has a plethora of random bugs and errors. IE. Half the time the voice command for phone calls does not work.

My suggestion if you want an android system is to mount a tablet and save yourself the trouble. It may sound awesome but this product DOES NOT meet it's claims.

3.0 out of 5 stars Right direction but not far enough, April 23, 2014
I have had this unit for some time now it is is OK... yes, only OK. With that said I must add that Parrot's service is no were near adequate. This unit came with IGO navigation. I can see it on the SD card but when the application starts it cannot find the maps.... does a great job of showing your location by coordinates but not maps. I sent an email to the service department and got a very prompt response saying I would get an answer in 48 hours... its been 28 days.... no answer.

The unit itself works fairly well and the Tom Tom navigation software works very well - but cost an additional fee.

Ok receiver, not hard to install, sorry service...

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and update to 2.1.9, install Framaroot and make it like you want it!, April 22, 2014
Ordered this head unit and had it installed by audio specialists in my 2000 Toyota 4Runner. Updated to 2.1.9 and rooted with latest version of framaroot.

Downloaded Astrotweaker, Gapps for gingerbread (Google Play), maps, Tasker, alternate TTS engine, Torque, etc and added the voice library file as r/w filesystem. Remember to get another launcher and forget ANYTHING by Parrot as far as Apps.

The unit is solid as it was intended at single core 800Mhz device, its not a tablet so be mindful of what you install. It isn't perfect but it isn't bad either..."To me...the point of having this device is to be able to customize and enjoy it to the fullest". With that said if Parrot unlocked the bootloader and allowed some XDA members to port at least Jellybean to it then maybe it would be better - maybe in time this will happen.

Try Avast Mobile Security once you get it the way you want and do a full scan for malicious code (there are those who don't want the paid apps from Google Play and get trojans instead...ignore framaroot warning as it is the exploit that enabled root in the first place, right? Make sure nothing else is an exploit then uninstall Avast (we probably don't want this burning up system resources by running all the time) and download a firewall app from Play Store and enable it to minimize the apps that you don't want reporting (why would I want the Video In app to access the net?)...remember to enable new apps or the ones that you find you suddenly want to use and DON'T go crazy installing everything out there...also DO NOT UPDATE THE BUSYBOX OR YOU WILL LOSE THE TOUCHSCREEN FUNCTION and will have to do a hard wipe and rebuild.

Recognized a T-Mobile USB modem for HSPA+ but I went with a hotspot since I have other devices. The USB modem is more secure connection to the net as it is point to point and the likelihood of man in the middle or packet sniffing is lesser versus the hotspot since it broadcasts but I have other ways to mitigate that too so the latter was my choice.

The system works with a 4 port self powered Hub and with Cyclops you can even use (not record yet) with certain Logitech USB webcams. I'd love a dash cam to record the nonsense that is GA400 but it does show in HD which surprised me...not useful in any other way at this point but to show that it can be possible.

I love being able to have geofencing, boot up tasks, Hangouts reading my text messages out loud, Torque telling me any faults and tracking my fuel economy, Bluetooth streaming, using Google Maps with traffic updates and voice searching, and use the Google Car mode when driving.

A must for vehicles that don't have the factory options! Again it isn't perfect but may be fully capable of making it into what you want! Just took a bunch of pics but can't upload them to this review? Its 9pm so any video footage would be grainy. :(

2.0 out of 5 stars It's good enough. Not $500+ $200 Good. Support is garbage., May 12, 2014
This unit is 23W RMS x4 so you WILL need an amplifier. Factor in +$200 if you decide on this one.
Comparable units from JVC / Pioneer are 65W RMS so I do not understand why this is so low powered.

Mind you this is information is NOT listed anywhere on the Amazon product page. So I ended up buying it because of all the other info that drowns out this simple fact. Yes, I know, user error.

First, a list of problems I encountered when using the unit:

ISSUE #1 My display developed a red line from top to bottom after 3 months.
ISSUE #2 Parrot support is TERRIBLE. When you call you are told to email when you email you get bounce backs.
ISSUE #3 Display glare: even with limo tinted windows you can barely see the glossy screen during the day.
ISSUE #4 The volume knob, you WILL miss it I promise you.
ISSUE #5 Just like the first line of the review mentioned, unit is very low on power.
ISSUE #6 Because of the low power output the total cost of ownership is $700+ when you factor in the amplifier you need.

Second, the things I really like:

AWESOME#1 Android: the apps that come with the radio are OK. navigation is SUPERB.
AWESOME#2 Tasker: with a little tweaking you can setup you radio to auto-download your fav podcast when in range of wifi.
AWESOME#3 Torque: if you are not using your OBD2 with this radio you are missing out.
AWESOME#4 Supports TWO phones at once, it is a killer feature.
AWESOME#5 Built in wifi AND Bluetooth tethering. Mind you Bluetooth tethering does not work when dual-phone BT is enabled.
AWESOME#6 Pandora + other apps. This involves a lot of toying around but this is why you are buying an android receiver.

The sound quality is good, no complaints there. Build quality good too and a plethora of USB ports is an awesome bonus.

Overall for the price of $700 (500radio +200amp) this is a 3 star unit. I have dinged an additional star for bad support from Parrot.

4.0 out of 5 stars A head unit that gets far more right than wrong., April 14, 2014
I bought this unit about 3 months ago, and have been quite pleased with it so far.

I had been looking for a tablet that would fit a standard double-DIN opening in my dashboard, but most were too large. Additionally, I was far from certain how I was going to get things like an FM radio integrated into a tablet if I did it myself. I'd seen the Panasonic AppRadio, and was not impressed at all. The reviews for the thing are terrible as well, so I wasn't going that route. Eventually I stumbled across this unit, and after a tremendous amount of research I pulled the trigger.

This device is designed to appeal to a specific type of buyer: one that isn't afraid to fiddle with something to make it the way they want. It would most definitely be possible to install this product, leave it the way the manufacturer configured it and make use of it. If you do, you'll have a very nice stereo/nav system with some multimedia functions. However, there is tremendous capability within the device if you're willing to root it, sideload some additional apps and so on.

Things they got right:

The form factor is perfect. It's double-DIN, of course, but it's not very deep which leaves room for the various USB, GPS and other connections needed in back.

The radio and stereo functions sound great. This isn't the top-end audiophile hardware but it sounds plenty good enough for a car.

Integration of the various audio functions works very well. I have it connected to my iPhone via bluetooth and when a call comes in, it correctly pauses whatever media is playing, switches the audio to the phone and then switches back when I hang up. Navigation breaks into the song to tell me when to turn, and so on.

The connectivity options are excellent. I won't bother listing all the connections on the back since that information is available in other reviews and product info, but I will say that I have a lot of crap connected to this thing and I'm not using all the ports.

Bluetooth works great. I run "Torque" on this device and it happily talks to the bluetooth adapter for my OBD-II as well as my phone at the same time with zero problems.

Things they got wrong:

The device runs a relatively slow (800MHz) processor and an old version of Android (gingerbread). Neither is upgradeable. It's fast enough for most things, and all the basic functions of the unit run fine. It's fast switching between screens and apps and so on, but if you're looking to root it and run Crysis on the thing, you're in for disappointment. It's fast enough to do its job, though.

The Parrot app market is very weak. They've got about 15 apps on the thing and many of those aren't very interesting. This is the primary reason most users choose to root the device and load the Google Play store.

---
All in all, I'm very pleased with this device and I'm glad I bought it. I'm sure there will be an "Asteroid Smart II" announced at some point with a faster CPU and more modern OS, but this is good enough and it does everything I wanted.

Note that people who got these devices early in their life cycle had a lot of problems. Parrot eventually has fixed most of these with versions of their software > 2.1.5, but a lot of the early reviews are from people who had tons of bugs and frustration. Also, there have been some hardware failures. Mine's worked great and I was lucky (or clever?) enough to come in once most of the really nasty bugs had been worked out. As such, I'm more positive with my review than some others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-executed Android-based car stereo, March 17, 2013
A well-executed Android-based car stereo with good GPS integration, above average Bluetooth capabilities, and a wealth of expandability options (probably more than any other unit in the market). It is easy to use yet is highly customizable. This unit is for early adopters of technology and although it is definitely ready for the market, most people do not need (should not) access the internet while driving. This unit and units like it are paving the path and defining how future car audio products will be in the next 5-10 years.

Pros:
+Beautiful & responsive screen
+Voice recognition for music and phone works very well
+Not well-advertised feature of free traffic updates with iGo navigation app
+Native iPhone 5 support
+Near endless expandability options (4 USB, 3 sets of 6V RCA outputs, camera input, internet)
+Good sound quality without external amps
+Easy to sideload Android apps (non-native Asteroid) onto unit
+Parrot engineers seem to be actively looking for & fixing any bugs (hope this continues)
+Should/will work with Android Torque app to show ODB-II engine metrics on screen

Cons:
-No physical volume knob/buttons
-Longer boot-up compared to other stereos which typically don't have [much] of a boot-up lag
-Limited native Asteroid apps at product launch
-Doesn't remember the last audio source played automatically/consistently
-My unit has been crashing of late (Parrot engineers are looking into it based on the crash info I send to Parrot)
-No built-in HD Radio (might just be bad marketing, or is just RDS)

4.0 out of 5 stars It has potential, but lacks out of the box., January 10, 2014
It runs Android (2.3.7) but its still limited. They have their own app marketplace with just a handful of decent apps available to download. Google's Play store will not work on this without rooting the device and then installing the necessary framework. You can however install Amazon Appstore pretty easily or with a little more effort install the APK file directly.

I use the Vgate ELM327 without problems so far with the Torque app. I originally wanted to install Pandora but because of the additional hurdle of getting it to work, I'm going to just install Spotify from Asteroid store. I've also installed Waze instead of Google maps for similar reasons. I'm pretty happy with it with its limitation because unlike other head units, this has potential if you willing to hack at it a little.

With the correct harness and dash kit for your vehicle, installation is easier. Thankfully, I didn't need an adapter for the antenna as some may need. The unit is slim which adds to the ease of installation. This is a definitely a huge improvement over the stock head unit and audio is much better and louder. I miss the volume knob but volume button is accessible which opens the on screen adjustment slider.

As of now, this is a great unit compared to what's available. The specs should have been better running Android 4.0+ with higher screen resolution and prepackaged with Google Play. Also the SD card is practically impossible to remove unless you have a tweezer.

I'll update this as I get more familiar with this device.

Update 1/11/14
I was able to get Pandora (5.1) installed via Amazon Appstore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have tried others, don't waste your time - this is the one., January 15, 2014
I originally bought this head unit at the start of 2013. I sold my car and the head unit with it, as a new car was on the way.

I thought I'd try something different, see if anything better was on the market. i bought a custom dynavin head unit to replace the original stereo in the new audi a3, and it was a piece of crap. terrible interface, slow, rubbish touch screen etc. the asteroid smart was sorely missed.

so i bought this unit again and i couldn't be happier. yes it does have its flaws but comparatively it blows the competition out of the water - unless you want to play cds... shouldn't be a problem for the intended market.

favourites
- the touch screen
- ipod software
- popular apps on the marketplace like spotify and tune in
- ability to sideload apk apps with ease
- quality sound output

things to improve
- remember to start on ipod on boot, rather than just land on the main screen. however a relatively recent software update now lets the unit start with radio on so it's not all frowns
- not having a volume knob can sometimes be annoying, but only for 3-4 seconds til you reach the media player. you learn to end up leaving it on the media player for quick swipe up/down for volume change
- native ability to re-size icons

do yourself a favour and buy this! installation is also a breeze, even for those who haven't got a lot of experience fitting head units. can't wait to see what Parrot delivers next.

Note: I'm from Australia, bought unit here on Amazon USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE solution for next-gen headunit in your car, July 1, 2013
My car came with an antiquated CD player that didn't have very good sound quality much less any phone integration. Several months back I opted for the Pioneer AppRadio2. After only a month I grew to detest the Pioneer in every way. From its poor sound quality to its clunky integration it just isn't a very well executed product. I considered all sort of options to make that AppRadio tolerable including arliberator on an android phone. I even considered undertaking the project of putting an ipad mini in the dash. And then I found the Asteroid Smart...which gives you the tablet experience without the pain and expense of all the stuff you need to integrate a tablet as your head unit. Today my Asteroid Smart arrived and I gleefully replaced the AppRadio. After only a short while I can say the Asteroid is what the Pioneer wishes it could be in every way. It came with its own harness that near completely integrated into my factory harness with only a few minor changes. The sound is OUTSTANDING! The screen is responsive. The phone integration is probably better than most expensive factory nav options. I've used iDrive and Sync both...trust me this is the way it should be done. OEM's should take notice. I can't think of a bad thing to say about this product. If you are in the market for a replacement deck this should be your only consideration.

Rate and Discover Movies