Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now STEM

on December 29, 2011
As someone who owns an adult novelty website in addition to a party plan division, I was really excited to read her book. She has the best explanation for choosing this great career as well as tips for finding hosts and supporting them through the booking process. But there is one area that I have to grade this book down.

HER IN PARTY SALES TIPS ARE TOO PUSHY

She suggests you tell your host to invite friends over for a girls night in and that you have a friend who will be giving a presentation on product x. Then the author suggests that you plan games to make the party fun but the games she wants you to play have nothing to do with building friendships and EVERYTHING TO DO WITH BOOKING MORE PARTIES.

Who wants to go to a friends house to hear the party presenter give pitch after pitch ? The product is the center of the show not how much you love the company. I do like the thank you presentation to the host at the start of the party. But if this is TRULY a party. The host should not be having game prizes that are based on who books another party. Nor should he/she be playing games based on how many time the presenter sales the name of the company.

These suggestions are why people run away from MLM companies. A good planner should have games that go with the theme of the event with small door prizes. And leave the commercial of how the business has changed their life to the information packet that she gives to people.

I realize we have a difference of opinions but I felt she suggested a pushy sales presentation and not an opportunity for people to meet , mingle and sample the product. If you do that, people will want a party. The host gift plus the information you provide and hands on experience with the product are your best tools.

Besides that, the book is great. But if you are planning present at a party, use only two of her sales lines and get your party games elsewhere.
on April 4, 2013
This book is helpful for those who've never undertaken direct sales before but I'm hoping that they also read other resources written on the subject because this is certainly not my go-to book on the topic.

I find the author quite aggressive in her approach - something that, over here in Australia, would go down like a fart in a church. The art to the sale is gentle coercion, not hitting someone over the head with your handbag. Perhaps her style is the American way?

Either way, while I enjoyed the read (a very quick one...the book is quite small), I could see why she has earned as much as she has. She's a shark.

And if that works for you, then great.
For me, this book left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
on March 4, 2012
I have been in network marketing for two years, the book is super for newcomers with network marketing companies. It will re-affirm that the seller is on the right track! I read the book front to back in one evening, it sure is a quick read. I would recommend it to leaders to give to their new consultants. As for getting to a leadership level I wouldn't recommend it to a seasoned consultant.
on March 5, 2013
This is my most used reference book whenever I need a fresh idea for a party or demonstration. The authors suggestions are often time visually impacting, easy to prepare and adapt to your product. She invites you to copy her ideas, templates, and share her enthusiasm to create memorable parties. In the party plan model of direct selling, the guest experience is so much a part of the sale, that it benefits everyone to put on a show stopper.
My copy is tattered, marked up and dog eared...love it.
on March 24, 2013
I am not expecting miracles, but I do expect to improve my business if I work at it and follow some basic instruction and good tips. This book has great tips and gives you areas to work on and think about your business.
on July 24, 2013
Although It Works! Global is not a party planning company, we distributors love to throw a wrap party! Mary Christensen has put together an invaluable handbook in her 2010 work, Be a Party Plan Superstar: Build a $100,000-a-Year Direct Selling Business from Home.

There's an entire category of books dedicated to network marketing, but Christensen sets her book apart by ditching the one-size-fits all approach and tailoring her instructions around real-world application for businesses that have a party component, like It Works!

Her helpful suggestions walk the reader through the entire process, from starting with leads, through to the completion of the party and beyond.

Some of my favorites: reach out to ten prospects each day. But how do you do this without getting sidetracked with your other responsibilities? Wear ten bangles on one wrist. For each prospect you attempt contact, move a bangle from the first arm to the other. When all ten bangles are moved to the second arm, you've completed your objective!

Christensen's book also introduced me to the idea of hostess coaching. We help arrange these parties all the time, but this is likely the hostess' first party for your business. So Christensen provides tips for giving your hostess some help up-front to make the party as smooth as possible, ensuring guest attendance, and paving the way for your hostess to become a loyal customer - or better yet, a distributor in your network!

And to assist in setting up future parties with guests at current party, I love the suggestion of placing star-shaped stickers on a paper calendar to indicate days when you're available. What a refreshing, simple, fun way to get customers engaged in this world of electronic task managers!

In addition to the practical help, this book is a great motivator, too - did you know that throwing ten parties a month will pay off $10,000 in debt in less than a year?

Regardless of your multilevel marketing business, if party planning is involved, you'll find Be a Party Plan Superstar: Build a $100,000-a-Year Direct Selling Business from Home to be an invaluable addition to your home office library!

Reprinted with permission from TrimAndFitToday.com
on June 3, 2015
The best part is the inspiration at the end. I want to start over and read the whole book again, but I learned that the best training is "On the Job". Now is the minute to start growing your business one party at a time ! Reading won't make you money, but it will build your confidence to make money at your parties and build a team right away. Its a lot to learn at once, but if it was too easy everyone would be doing it. If it was too easy we wouldn't need these books for support. If it was too easy it wouldn't be as rewarding. Party plan is not easy, but it can be the answer to your dreams. It provides equal opportunity for anyone to earn 6 figures if they can learn to be self-disciplined. I will be recommending this book to my teammates.
on September 21, 2013
This book was recommended as a must buy from my up-line. I got lots of great ideas from this book to increase my sales. I had a home party planned and this book helped A LOT! I gained some perspective on some things that I was doing that really would not impact my bottom line and I also gained some knowledge to make a difference in how some of the things were presented. I would recommend this book for anyone starting a direct selling career!
on December 4, 2012
I loved this book. It had so much information in it, I can't wait to loan it to my friend who is also in direct sales. It should definitely be required reading for everyone in direct sales. I have already put a few of the tips in place and have a party booked in less than 2 weeks. It definitely boosted my confidence in my business, as well as reframed the language I use when presenting products.

Great read!
on June 13, 2013
I'm about to start my own direct selling biz and I plan to be successful. Party planning is the meat and potatoes of getting a successful start and will enable me and my biz to flourish. I got so many great ideas from this book...I'm excited!