5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent text.
I've had my experiences with a wide variety of Spanish language learning materials, and out of the textbooks I've used, the Pasajes series (especially when used as a series, including the Literatura and Cultura components) ranks as the best. Pasajes strikes the perfect balance between a text for rank beginners and advanced students.
It is abundantly clear to me that...
Published on September 22, 2003 by Spanish student

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing text lacking meaningful exercises
Published on January 27, 2005 by Reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing text lacking meaningful exercises, January 27, 2005
I have used Pasajes: Lengua and Pasajes: Cultura for two years now for Intermediate Spanish and have found it quite difficult to use and to appeal to the interest of the students. Tons of vocabulary words are presented at the beginning of each chapter in Pasajes: Lengua with some weird pictures and no follow-up dialogue to reinforce or recycle the vocabulary. Then quite a few difficult grammatical concepts are presented in each chapter and often mixed together into several confusing exercises which don't allow the student to sort out the usage of one concept before being bombarded with another one. I would use this approach if I purposely wanted to confuse and lose my students. Often the students are at a loss as to how to react to the exercises and instructions. Sometimes out of frustration, I have to simply change the instructions of the exercises or bring in my own exercises to supplement the text. I have noticed a decline in the proficiency of our students after using this text and a definite lack of interest in the material. After over twenty years of teaching, I am no newcomer to teaching languages and only continue to use the text because some faculty who are recent graduates have latched onto it. The bottom line for me is that in order to do a good job using this text, the instructor must basically rewrite the text and bring in a lot of original material to achieve the desired results with students. A class that used to be a lot of fun for me with wonderful interactions with my students, now is often drudgery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but I just had to say something..., November 30, 2005
D. Jenkins (Minneapolis Mn) - See all my reviews
Before I bought the Pasajes series, I was relieved to see the (then) mostly positive reviews. However, I really feel like the overall review score of 4.5 stars is very, very misleading. I would not, in good faith, be able to recommend this series of books for learning Spanish.

This series of books was VERY confusing and EXTREMELY difficult to work with. Some of the many issues with using this series of books to learn spanish:

1) the concepts are not clearly explained (they invented a "new" english word for one) and the exercises are excessively complicated and do not give you enough practice with the vocabulary/concepts to feel confident using them.

2) Frequently, new words, phrases and concepts are introduced in the middle of a lesson about something else, via a footnote, with no further explaination provided!! This is SUPER frustrating and distracting!

3) Using this series of books is very cumbersome, the books are not well coordinated with one another, and do not appear to reinforce each other's concepts or vocabulary.

I'm very sorry, but these books are just terrible, and 4.5 stars is not at all reflective of the quality of these books... Using this series of books has taken ALL the fun out of learning Spanish, which I used to enjoy. If you have the option to use different books, take it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, March 10, 2006
I finished up 2nd year college Spanish with this series and found the format a bit confusing. And using three books for one class is not very convenient. Although the vocabulary and language structures progress together in all three books, their format is not very conducive to learning unless you really enjoy just curling up with a good textbook and reading it over and over again. However, there are a couple of positive features. The lengua book has a section in every chapter called "Ojo!" which helps with commonly confused words and concepts. The Cultura book has a few interesting readings that introduced some history and political issues in Spanish-speaking countries that I didn't know about, but now want to found out more about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent text., September 22, 2003
Spanish student (Across the Pacific.) - See all my reviews
It is abundantly clear to me that the authors of this wonderful work are acutely aware of the difficulties the student of Spanish -- especially intermediate Spanish -- is likely to face. As such, the text reads as more of a "conversation" between "teacher" and student, then a stern, authoratative text handing down the received wisdom to your unworthy soul. A real pleasure to work through.
Although one is more likely to encounter this text as part of a college Spanish program, I would highly recommend it to any serious Spanish student intent on reaching a higher level of accomplishment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, January 3, 2003
By A Customer
This book was confusing - Too much similiar information packed into the same chapter, very confusing for students.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine, but..., August 11, 2013
This review is from: Pasajes: Literatura (Paperback)
I think it was a perfectly fine book, but it wasn't the one I needed! Careless me got this book instead of the version I needed for class. Whoops.

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting book, January 6, 2013
This review is from: Pasajes: Literatura (Paperback)
although not my favorite book I rate it as ok cause I would like to have seen them explain the words a little more so we can understand what some of the passages are saying; However I did learn alot about Spanish culture and I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Job well done!, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Pasajes: Literatura (Paperback)
I was very happy with the quickness that this order was filled and shipped. The book was also in much better condition than what I expected. Thank you for a job well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Students love Pasajes, April 14, 2002
D. L. Paulson (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I have taught out of Pasajes from time to time over the last 10 years throughout several editions. The Fifth Edition appears to be their hottest edition yet. The presentation in the book is sharper and more comprehensible than ever. While many texts just lose steam after several editions, Pasajes has hit its peak!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tertulia, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Pasajes: Literatura (Paperback)
i really liked the book that i bought, It was in the good condition with a very decent price. Thanks a lot

ARRAY(0x9979c39c)

Pasajes:  Literatura
Pasajes: Literatura by Mary Lee Bretz (Paperback - January 16, 2009)
$79.57