Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

11%
89%

on August 28, 2011
DISCLAIMER: I have nothing against the vendor selling this item. Seems like they're reasonable folks just making a living. Keep that in mind.

My house was finished in 2007, and the electricians used P&S 660-WG switches throughout (anywhere not requiring a 3-way circuit). One by one, starting with the most-used locations, these switches have failed. Every single failure has been exactly the same. The electricians inserted the 12-gauge wire through the back and loop-screwed the ground wire -- just as I would expect. This makes contact by creating pressure in between the contact plate that's connected to the outside screw terminals, and allows the circuit to be opened/closed by the switch.

Unfortunately, whatever made-in-China (of course it says that on the back) plastic they used to hold the bottom plate in breaks off due to the insertion pressure from the wire over time. Every. Single. One. In. The. Exact. Same. Place. Said another way: They're defective if you plan to use them by inserting the wire. In all my ( >10 && <100 ) years on this planet, I've never seen any light switches fail this way. The first one I chalked up as a fluke. The second was interesting data. The third one was a fun escapade into figuring out why the breaker kept tripping. I just replaced #17 and #18, and having inspected others in use, I can see that the plastic has cracked in 10 more. (A 10-pack of Cooper switches was less than $5 at Lowe's...)

So if any of the P&S guys read this: You suck at product design. There should be a product recall on these switches.

EDIT: I contacted Legrand, the parent company of Pass & Seymour. They agreed to replace all the switches in the house, so at least they're acting responsibly. I still believe these are defective, but if you're planning to use the side screw terminals instead of inserting wire through the back, you'll be fine.
55 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2015
Same reviews as others. My house was a builder grade home built in 2006. The previous owners used it as a vacation home so there wasn't much traffic in the house for the first few years. When we moved in in 2012, the inspection noted that 2 closet lights wouldn't turn on. After moving in, found the first couple failed switches. Over the next year, I have replaced over 20 of the switches in my house. They all have the same problem - cracked plastic on the back side. I can tell when the switches are going bad too. You will go to turn on a light in a room and the the switch itself will light up like it just arced inside it. You can also see the lights flash in the room that other switches in the box control. Sort of like the arc from the switch you just toggled on jumped over to the other switches in the box. Replacing them all with leviton at $.60 each, might as well just go through the house and do every last one.

Back of Pass & Seymour Switch - "Made in China"
Back of Leviton Switch - "Made in USA"

I wonder exactly how much money the builders actually saved by using a Made in China brand. $10 bucks for the whole house? I paid $300.000 for my home.
on December 3, 2011
My home was built in 2007, and the contractor used these switches throughout the house. I just read the review provided by another North Carolina home owner, and my experiences have been the same! I purchased the home last year, and two of the switches failed within 4 months of ownership! I purchased 5 switches on this website, to have a few spares for future use. I could not imagine needing to use the other 3 switches in such a short time span, but I have just used the last of my spares, and have now returned to the website for a 2nd purchase!!!

After reading this posting, I hope that they have done something to improve the quality. The 5 switches that I changed out haven't failed......yet. I plan to purchase 2 more, but spec a different switch, just in case the quality issues continue!
on January 10, 2015
These switches are horrible my house was built in 2010 and unfortunately outfitted with these switches 40 of them to be exact.. Had one break last year wire came out and shorted causing the breaker to blow had an electrician replace it. This year had another fail in the same spot on the switch where the wire pushes in on the back. Took a look at all 38 other switches and all are cracked most are quite bad except 5 of them so 35 future potential fire hazards out of 40 switches makes for a horrible switch design that should be recalled. Highly recommend you stay away from these switches and as of all day today Jan.10.15
no one would answer customer support and the answering machine hangs up on you instantly
review image review image
on December 8, 2014
I am having the same issues as the others. Started having problems and once realizing the defective switch I began checking the rest. I have about 40 of these in my house built in 2010. DO NOT PURCHASE! FIRE HAZARD!
on December 2, 2013
I've had the exact same failures in our house that was built in 2006 in Georgia. These are a bad product.
on December 30, 2015
My house was built in 2007 and I am on my second failure of these switches... so frustrating... especially knowing only a matter of time before the rest go out :(
on May 9, 2015
So far I've changed out 14 switches. 12 out of 14 were cracked and broken.
review image review image