Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Don't Pass Me By / She's Leaving Home Sped up?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2009 7:40:19 PM PST
Whip 914! says:
Maybe it's me (and I've been a Beatles fan since '64) but Don't Pass Me By and She's Leaving Home on the mono box set sound like Alvin and The Chipmunks. Anybody else noyice this?

Posted on Nov 7, 2009 8:36:40 PM PST
R. Bone says:
One of the many differences you'll find between the mixes check out the site below for a detailed list of all the variations
http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/var-songindex.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2009 9:47:15 AM PST
Having heard the mono's of these two songs many times over the years, through bootlegs and other sorts of compilation, I was accustomed to these mixes. In the box set booklet, it's said that the Beatles mixed each album in mono, then did not partake in the stereo mix sessions. There was a gap of time in between mixing mono and stereo, so the engineers may have forgotten a particular specification regarding a track, or they accessed the tape of a different take.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2009 4:24:49 PM PST
Byron says:
J. Loughlin-----

The speed of the mono mix of SLH is definitely the way The Beatles intended the song to be heard. As Brendan pointed out, it was likely the engineer's (probably Emerick) decison to slow it down or it could have just been a case of them not comparing the stereo mix (which was done later) to make sure it conformed with the mono speed.

I'm not so sure about 'Don't Pass Me By'. At that point they were paying equal attention to the mono and stereo mixes so I wouldn't say the mono is definitive. Both versions are actually sped up from Ringo's original vocal but the mono is sped up a little bit more which may have been a mistake. I prefer the mono White Album overall but I just can't take that particular mix either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2009 6:45:35 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
I think the mono Don't pass Me By is much better than the stereo. Doesn't drag.

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 3:19:29 PM PST
Todd Brame says:
I've always thought that Paul's voice didn't sound right on "She's Leaving Home" and had to have been slowed down. It definitely sounds natural on the mono mix. But I too am not so sure about "Don't Pass Me By".

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 4:58:14 PM PST
PattyP says:
Both are sped up on the Mono versions. I think SLH sounds more cohesive in Mono. I actually like the song better. The Stereo version drags. As for DPMB, that one may be a little too fast...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions