2,743 Reviews
 (1,823)

5.0 out of 5 stars The reflection
Published on February 24, 2004 by Chuck Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for the Definitive Edition
I purchased this version after I saw it in the store the week it came out. I already owned the original DVD release, but I heard this had lots of special features and the re-cut version. Therefore I purchased this edition. However, I was a bit disappointed.

Published on February 23, 2007 by Lyndall S. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The reflection, February 24, 2004
Chuck Gray (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
When you start the movie you have the hype that has surrounded it. At the end you have the feeling that this individual loved, believed, and gave everything for his beliefs. You understand that the Jews of that society show they were like us today where a few acted as if they were the voice of the many. It is a movie that pulls at the fabric of your understanding of this horrible and painful death allowing you to understand it and what it must have been like.
In summary it is a movie that made me reflect. It made me sad, and based on my beliefs made me proud that this individual cared for me and gave his life to set me free. It was a well done and flowed well from beginning to end. It built on itself the way a great movie should. The editing and story through the lens was exceptional. It was a great technical movie regardless of beliefs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for the Definitive Edition, February 23, 2007

I really enjoyed the movie in the theater. It tells the story of the last 12 hours of the life of christ. It was very gory and I wouldn't want to show it to children. However, for older people (12 yrs. and up)this does a good job of depicting the trials and tribulations of Christ's crucifiction.

My biggest complaint about this movie was the subtitles. However, if you are familiar with the Biblical story, you can pretty much ignore the dialogue and focus on the picture.

Now for this "Definitive Edition" Special feature wise this is a great edition to have. It has loads of extra features.

My biggest complaint about this edition was that if you are a person like me who sometimes has to take several different times (starting and stopping) to watch a movie in it's entirety, the chapter selections are a wonderful thing. You can stop where you need to and start back just by selecting the scene you were on. However, with the definitive edition the scene selection is done with approximately 10 chapters. The chapters are set up to coincide with the "stations of the cross." Although a good idea if you are Catholic and want to see those stages but for a normal viewer of this movie it was terribly frustrating. The first chapter runs for over an hour. I usually don't have that long to watch so I have to start all over each time and use fast forward to get to where I was. It was just very irritating.

I really liked the fact that they included the re-cut version of the film as well as the original. If you are unfamiliar with the re-cut version, it essentially is a "less graphic" version of the film (although it is still very violent). This version may be better for a church library or a family with younger children.

If you like special features and want the less gory version of the Passion then by all means purchase this edition. However, if you prefer to be able to stop and start or jump to a certain scene of the movie then go with the original release (it has approx. 32 scene chapters).

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Albeit Quite Violent Portrayal Of Jesus' Passion, February 25, 2004
Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
First of all, let me start this effort by saying how amazed I was by the movie, and by its sheer emotional power. It is superbly shot, the cinematography literally breath-taking in its intensity and ability to add muscular heft to the familiar story of how Jesus came to fulfill the prophecy through his divine sacrifice on behalf of all mankind. The movie-goer is sure to be transformed by the magnitude of the oft-told and retold tale of how the events of the final twelve hours focused on the ways in which Jesus deliberately serves himself up as the sacrificial lamb for the manifest sins of the world, offering all humans the opportunity to re-establish their contact with the divine from whom they had been estranged.
Indeed, I found myself almost speechless after viewing the film, and was not quite sure to what extent it was a result of the power of the film's message as opposed to the graphically violent context in which the tale is told. Herein lies the single criticism one can level against the film, which despite many worries from bystanders that it was laced with virulent anti-Semitism, seems to clearly blame all sinners (ergo, all of us) for the sacrifice of God's son on the cross. Yet Mel Gibson's sure hand is both able and accurate, and the violence shows how carnal man greets the divine, and how we react to the message of hope and salvation; through unspeakable cruelty and gratuitous violence. So, while this is indeed a very violent movie, the murderous acts depicted quite graphically have to be taken in the context of the supernatural events transpiring, as a kind of carnal counterpoint to the ethereal repose with which Jesus bears all of the acts visited upon him. At one point He tells Mary (After he has stumbled under the burden of the cross) "Behold, mother, I make all thing anew!" This was, for me at least, a quite stunning reminder of the godly forces at work amidst all the violence and carnage.
This is a very personal interpretation of the final twelve hours of Christ's life on earth leading to His crucifixition. From the moment it opens in the solitude of the Garden at Gethsemane, one is immediately aware of the battle ongoing between good and evil, as the devil (cleverly presented as a stunning if malevolent woman with a masculine voice) attempts to dissuade Jesus from attempting what he about to undertake. From this it is obvious He is doing this for all mankind, Jews and Gentiles alike, and that we are all to blame, through our unremitting addiction to carnality and sinfulness, for the evil manifested in the world. This is a fantastic film, one that is definitely not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach, and definitely not something I would suggest subjecting a child to. Still, it is a remarkable work, and one that deserves the very wide distribution it is about to encounter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually Stunning, March 18, 2004
Let me preface this by saying that I am not the most religious person out there. I actually went with the intention of being thoroughly disappointed and wanting my money back. HOWEVER, this is an artistic masterpiece. Regardless of your religious preferences, you should see this movie. Gibson relates the 12 hours leading to the death of Christ in a series of flashbacks, beatings, and stunning cinematography. His choice of doing this movie in Latin and Aramaic was correct; it would not be nearly as powerful if performed in English. The lead actor has little match with the intensity that his eyes convey. Gibson also adds nuances and flourishes to the story (the Satan character and the demons that hound Judas) that add so much to this movie.
A lot has been written concerning the anti-semitism this movie conveys, and I'd strongly recommend that you see the movie and reserve your opinions on that until you've actually seen the movie. I don't really blame the Jews for the crucifiction, and I think Gibson utilizes the mob as a tool of Satan, and that really shows in the movie. Also, the gore is definitely present, and you should not see this if you have a weak stomach. However, it is dispersed throughout the movie, and after that first horrible whipping, you don't notice it as much. I definitely think that everyone should see this once. I don't think it has much repeat viewing value, as I was thoroughly impressed with it, but like a Schindler's List, have no desire to see it again.
But definitely worth the price of admission. Definitely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, February 25, 2004
"gala16" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I truly believe that people who get "offended" by the violence shown in the movie, should go to the library and get some text on the crucifixion and other methods of torture used by the Romans. What we see is a true, accurate depiction of the horrors committed not only against Jesus but against all those who opposed the Romans. The only thing we are spared is the smell of the flesh starting to rot in the sun and the buzzing of flies ready to go for it. I think we are mature enough to watch a true, accurate depiction of the horrors of the crucifixion. If we can watch people and guts flying about in Saving Private Ryan, we can certainly watch the way Jesus and many others under Roman domination suffered and died. However, I think the reality must have been 100 times worse than what Mr. Gibson depicts in his movie. We have become very comfortable in many aspects of our life, including religion. Everything needs to be "sanitized" lest it hurts our "sensibilities". Well, you know what, Jesus died for us, for all of us, so the least we can do is endure a couple of hours of gory detail to be able to appreciate the extent of his sacrifice. The clean image of Jesus on the cross with a couple of scratches and a little drop of blood on his forehead may be very beautiful and artistic, but it is just that, an artistic representation of a horrible, cruel act. Thank you Mr Gibson for not being afraid to show a very close representation of the real suffering of our Saviour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and powerful, March 2, 2004
By A Customer
I have always enjoyed biblical movies; The Ten Commandments, David and Goliath and so on. This new movie by Mel Gibson is excellent! So realistic! Somewhat like the great film, The Titanic, I felt like I was experiencing this in real time and witnessessing it for myself.
Producers and directors deserve great credit for a real masterpiece of work.
As for the controversy, a lot of people get unnerved when a movie is made about Christ. But as others have stated, this is only a movie, a very good one, but only a movie. It is not scripture, although it does bring scripture to life.
I highly recommend the movie and glad to see that Mel Gibson is prooving himself as a director/producer, very successful at that. Mr. Gibson went out on a limb to produce this and show us his passion. Great job Mel!

4.0 out of 5 stars What? No uncut version?, December 5, 2006
This set includes two version of the film - the original theatrical cut and the less gruesome unrated rerelease (which was still technically R-rated). There's also tons of features, including commentaries, several documentaries (including a feature-length Making-Of), and production stills. Whether you own the previous release or not, this is certainly the version you need to own. Unfortunately, the "original" uncut version of the film is not included, as the MPAA forced numerous heavy cuts in order for The Passion to be released with a "mere" R rating (as opposed to a dreaded NC-17). Considering the subject matter and target audience, it's unlikely we will ever see The Passion in the form Gibson originally intended. Politics and censorship... what a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the allegations..., February 28, 2004
The other day at work, I heard three Jewish colleagues and bosses of mine berating the film, The Passion of the Christ, and Mel Gibson as being clearly anti-Semitic. They were citing all sorts of articles from the Jewish press and added such quips as, "Before the Holocaust, there were plenty of warning signs that we did not follow. Now, before the release of this movie, there are plenty of more warning signs."
I marvel at this pessimism. First, The Passion of the Christ is only a movie - a marvelous, beautiful, awe-inspiring movie, in my opinion - but still only a movie. Gibson is portraying the Truth as we Catholics know it to be, basing the story of the Passion on the Gospel and other inspired writings, such as Emerich's The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Artistically, it tries to capture the realism and dynamism of the Chiaroscuro movement of such greats as Caravaggio and Gentileschi. It is violent and bloody and gory, but this is not without cause: Too often is our Lord's grand Sacrifice forgotten or glossed over - not only by Protestants but by lukewarm Catholics as well - in preference of the glory of the Resurrection. It is not uncommon to hear, "I prefer not to see my God dead on a cross," and churches (even Catholic churches) lose the Crucifix for the Cross. Well, this movie is a brutal reminder of what actually transpired; and in the words of the Pope after a screening at the Vatican, "It is as it was."
Second, I marvel at the two-facedness of the world. When the Last Temptation of Christ came out - a movie filled with blasphemous inuendos - I didn't see anyone stop and listen to the Catholic objections to the movie. (Mel Gibson was offered to star in that movie, by the way, and he refused.) When Dan Brown's best-selling The DaVinci Code hit bookstands last year, one heard tons of hype of the 'truth' that had been 'suppressed over the years by the Catholic Church,' as if the book had revealed some great reality instead of just resurrecting age-old heresies (all of which have been shown to be in error by the great minds of the Church, such as St.Augustine and St.Thomas Aquinas) and collecting more recent New-Age-inspired conspiracy theories.... But no one gave more than a moment's notice to the Catholic defense of the Faith. Had the Catholic Church demanded that the book not be released for fear of propagating an anti-Catholicism in this world, we would have been laughed at. (And yet, that fear would not be without cause, as anti-Catholicism is truly one of the few prejudices still accepted in the world and especially in the United States. Find out how to fight anti-Catholicism at the Catholic League, [...])
The Passion of the Christ is by no means an anti-Semitic work. It does not blame the Jews for the death of Christ - it blames mankind for the death of Christ.
I conclude with a quote from Raymond Arroyo, one of the few journalists who has been permitted to do behind-the-scenes interviewing over the past year:
"It is like watching a documentary by Caravaggio. The images are so vivid, and the story so familiar, that language becomes almost incidental....The violence, though intense, is never gratuitous...It rescues Christ from myth and grounds him in a reality that makes his actions more heroic..."
This is a must-see movie for all Christians, especially during this season of Lent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contains BOTH the ORIGINAL and RECUT Versions! (Though DVD Cover Only Mentions RECUT), February 5, 2007
There is unfortunate confusion concerning which version of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST is on this DEFINITIVE VERSION. Though the back of the DVD cover only mentions the RECUT version (about 5 minutes shorter); this DEFINITIVE VERSION contains the ORIGINAL version as the one you see when you hit the PLAY button.

The RECUT version is to be found in the SPECIAL FEATURES section of the Main Menu. There, it even says that the Commentaries are only available on the full length version, not the Recut. This is too bad that this DEFINITIVE VERSION is so poorly described on its own back cover. I am sure that it has diminished sales of this superior DEFINITIVE VERSION, since you can't tell that the original version is on the DVD until you actually get it home and watch it yourself! I had it at home for a week before I found out that both version were included!

The widescreen is best for THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, of course, since some scene compositions are often too large to see everything going on, if you are watching a FULL Screen DVD. This is most notable in the scene when the serpent is stomped on, a real crowd pleaser due to Scriptural references, but in the Full Screen I think it is hard to even see that the snake was in the picture! The DEFINITIVE VERSION only comes in Widescreen.

This DEFINITIVE VERSION is years overdue, in my opinion, but at least it is finally available! IT IS GREAT, if you like Commentaries and Making Of documentary material.

There is about 100 minutes of short Making Of topics, which you can hit PLAY ALL to watch it non-stop. This is all good, and what you would expect to see. There is a lot of insightful information concerning the filming of this classic masterpiece film! Then there is another half hour, or so, of theological video documentary material, not specific to THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST film, but about the Gospel sections that are shown in Mel Gibson' movie.

The Commentaries are very good, as well! Mel Gibson appears on two different Commentaries. The first one is dominated by Mel, with two other folks who made the film with him, and there is another Commentary with Mel concerning theological concepts. Mel takes a back seat on this one, but he can still be heard every once in a while, but it is still a very interesting Commentary, though it may be heavier on Catholic concepts than even the actual film seems to be. It is still very interesting.

I learned a lot from all of these Bonus Features! For instance, they shot most of the film using different frames per second, to make motions look more graceful. Also, there's talk about things like Satan's old baby, finally explained by Mel! This shows how evil mimics good things, but when you look closer, the perversion is revealed. There is also a short video shot of Mel trying to coach Satan into licking the old baby's face, which Satan reluctantly does, though it did not make the final cut.

This DEFINITIVE VERSION is a MUST HAVE for any fans of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST film! It is too bad that it is confusingly labeled, and years later than it should have been released, but you will likely forgive all that after you have gone through all the new Bonus Features and Commentaries, and you will have understood the intents of Mel Gibson and his collaborators much better, and maybe even pick up a few theological things that you might not have thought of before!

5.0 out of 5 stars JOHN 3:16, February 24, 2004
This is a great movie, I feel bad for the customer that has gotton hate mail I belive the media has a lot to do with that and not the movie. I will pray for that customer and the family and others,
As per the movie being in Aramaic and there being subtitles it dose not matter it is easy to follow but I found that most of the time I did not need the subtitles I knew what they were saying.
As to the violence in The Passion as another customer said is not to entertain. but this is how is was !!! If you want to call it violence I have seen so much worse on TV think of the other movies out there that are so much worse and that is ment to entertain.
I PLAN TO TAKE AS MANY OF MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS TO THIS MOVIE.
THIS IS A MUST SEE MOVIE.
THANK YOU MEL GIBSON FOR STICKING TO YOUR FAITH AND MAKING THIS MOVIE AND I PRAY FOR ITS LONG RUN AND AFTER THAT WHEN IT IS RELEASED ON DVD THIS WILL BE A GREAT FOR YOUR HOME

The Passion of the Christ (Definitive Edition) [Blu-ray]