on April 25, 2011
Shaunice Hawkins knows something we all know, and also something we too often forget: We are at our best, in every sense of the word, when we are passionate. It is a topic that, Ms. Hawkins acknowledges, is a perennial subject of books and yet, it is a subject that requires our full attention, if for no other reason than passion can be lost and as a result, we can lose our way.

I don't read "self help" books. I no more believe in the notion of "being the best you can be" than it is possible to live in "the best of all possible worlds."

The truth is, I only read Ms. Hawkins's book because I know her and respect her. And I'm glad I did, because had I not, I would have missed a wonderful opportunity to pause and then stop and consider who I am and what am I doing right now.

Ms. Hawkins knows her readers are seeking answers to questions that can't be easily answered. She knows we are living in particularly difficult times. She also knows there are any number of people who, regardless of expertise in their chosen fields, feel "tossed" aside and are either angry or numb or experiencing some combination of these and myriad other unpleasant emotions. In light of these times, Ms. Hawkins book could not be more timely.

It is a light read. I believe an intentionally light read because it is a good-natured book. No, it doesn't promise solutions but what it does, and does beautifully, is remind the reader that he or she has within him or her the one resource necessary to pick oneself up, to regain one's footing, vitality and enthusiasm for life at a time when new realities, whether technological, economic or social have made old assumptions not simply irrelevant but dangerous to one's mental, physical and financial well being. That resource is "passion." What Ms. Hawkins understands is that as resilient and powerful and compelling as passion is, it is also fragile, and easily lost.

Toward that end, her narrative explores the nature of passion, its importance, the implications of its absence and the rewards of its renewals. She makes her arguments with the help of the theories of Abraham Maslow and Thomas Kuhn, as well as the reflections of a dozen others whose thoughts on the subject remind us of its importance in both the every day and in the culmination of one's life's work.

Throughout this short book Hawkins provides examples, guidance and tips, and in the end, invites you to participate in a few exercises. If you follow her narrative, allow her to guide you, you may experience, as I did, that formal education, success and sophistication are unreliable guides. As I read, I found myself yielding to Hawkins' gentle but firm conviction. In a sense, her book sat me down and helped me see that the obstacles that stand in my way--and they are formidable--are also surmountable. I can finish my own book that I began a year ago, a work that will either secure or seriously damage my reputation, but first, I will have to regain my passion for it. For this I am immensely grateful to Ms. Hawkins's for her slender, affecting and effective book.
on November 28, 2010
Just finished the book and would recommend it to my coaching and candidate clients who are exhausted and frustrated by their career transition and job hunt. It is easy in this economic paradigm shift that we are living in for those that have followed the rules to feel extremely demoralized, frustrated and lost. The book provides a new rule book to get us back to the basics and our authentic selves. The author provides great ideas and suggestions that are helpful in helping anyone uncover the power that they thought they lost as well as step by step guides, resources and practical information to create some action and help us all rethink our purpose and passion. It is an easy to read collection of expert thoughts and concepts written to be accessible and immediately actionable.
on January 12, 2011
I have read quite a few books on finding your passion. Many of those books give advice on how to find your passion as if it is something external that you can look for and find. While those books have good information, I appreciate and love the perspective that Shaunice Hawkins took in teaching her readers that passion is something that comes from inside oneself. Passion is within everyone even when we do not realize it. Shaunice Hawkins' book is a great resource that teaches how to tap into and capitalize on the passion that is within. This book is a great resource that I will continue to use.
on August 7, 2011
For me, "Passion...Who Needs It?" came right on time in the midst of a major transformation in my life when I moved from the corporate world to entrepreneurship. This book provides me with practical, actionable exercises and expert advice that I need to persevere and maintain my passion in the face of various obstacles which are thrown my way. I love the fact that it is short and sweet and written in a non-condescending tone that makes me feel as though I were sitting down and talking with Ms. Hawkins over lunch. You can tell that Ms. Hawkins is passionate about helping others stay on their path to their destinies no matter how tough the road gets. Thanks for helping me realize that passion is not something that comes without obstacles and failures but instead is something that can help you evolve into the person you are meant to be!