5.0 out of 5 stars Easy 5 Stars. Perfect for Mac right out of the box.
Published on September 26, 2012 by Lincoln

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so
Apparently, it "looks" like aluminium because of the grey/silver casing but it is not. I spoke with an Amazon CSO, and she said that it really was aluminium so I bought it. I feel so cheated! That's the materials part.

Published on December 8, 2012 by Mitchell Eng

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy 5 Stars. Perfect for Mac right out of the box., September 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For 10 years now I've been a loyal customer of Western Digital hard drives. They are my brand of choice when it's time to upgrade or expand my system. In the last 10 years, I have not had even a single hard drive crash or failure. This is significant considering that I currently own 4 WD external drives and 4 WD internal drives. I've also owned and gave away another 2 externals drives and 4 internal drives. That makes 14 Western Digital hard drives with zero problems.

This new WD My Passport Mac specific hard drive meets all of my expectations. It is very fast at USB 3.0 transfer speeds. Plus the actual hdd stored inside is impressively fast too. I've gotten ride of 2 Seagate external hard drives because of slow disks - even when they are housed in USB 3.0 cases. The disk speed is important.

The specs on this drive are no different than the other new WD My Passport hard drives, EXCEPT that this drive is formatted HFS+ Journaled for Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion. To use this with Windows it must be reformatted. So if you are a Windows user or looking for a drive to use with both Windows and Mac - you are better off purchasing a standard WD My Passport.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic HD For the Road, Very Good For Home, September 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fantastic hard drive for photo or video editors that work on the road. It's very small and very light. Its USB 3.0 speeds are very good, making it a great choice for a Photoshop or Final Cut scratch disc. It's smaller and cheaper than portable Thunderbolt drives. Of course it's not as fast, but for mobile photo and video editing it offers a compelling price/performance combination. I used the drive as a video scratch disc on a MacBook Pro 2012 -- which has USB 3.0 -- and was very pleased with the performance.

For home use, it's not as compelling, though still very good. Generally speaking, you can get faster and cheaper external drives, with the caveat being you'll also need an external power source for the extra performance. The USB 2.0 speeds are good, but not extraordinary. For people that don't travel and/or can't take advantage of USB 3.0 speeds, there are several cheaper choices that are also a bit faster.

The Western Digital utilities included in the drive are good for novices, but people familiar with hard drive care and security can ignore them.

Overall, this is a quality drive that's good for most uses and outstanding for certain users. For home and office use, it's a good drive. For photo and video editors that travel, this is a fantastic product that offers fast USB 3.0 performance at a relatively low price. For people that don't want to pay the high price for a portable Thunderbolt scratch disc, this is an appealing alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply lots of Space, September 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've transitioned from PCs to Macs in the last eight months, and one of the best parts of the transition is how easy it is to back up a Mac. Time Machine...boom. All you need is a back-up destination with lots of space.

And the Western Digital My Passport for Mac is a perfect destination. Plug it in...the Mac sees it...tell Time Machine to back-up to it...and you're good. Amazing.

The portable (that is, it uses the computer's power via the USB cable) hard drive comes with a couple of tools / applications:
- WD Security allows you to protect the data on your drive with a password. I'm not a hacker so I'm not sure how robust this protection is - it seems enough to keep someone like me out!
- WD Drive Utilities: Diagnostics, Sleep Timer, Drive Erase, and Registration. All the tools seem to work well, and none are too invasive (unlike, say, some of the back-up apps that come with external drives made for PCs).

I've backed-up two Macs (a Mini and a MacBook Air) with My Passport for Mac; everything went smoothly and fairly quickly (though I can't really see a big difference between the Passport's USB 3 capabilities and my older USB 2 devices). I'll update this review if I encounter any issues down the road.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, November 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's really very little to complain about with this Western Digital My Passport 2TB. It plugged straight into my 2009 iMac (and worked at USB 2.0 speeds) and worked just as well on a Sony Vaio Z series at USB 3.0 speeds (after formatting to NTFS).

There are a couple of things that let the drive down, and they are as follows:

1.) It's really, really plastic. The silvery color is going to look pretty bad (if you're an aesthetics-type person), so be sure to be gentle with it or pick up a third-party case for traveling around.

2.) It's quite a bit bulkier than the standard 2.5" notebook drive + enclosure. This is due to Western Digital using a 15mm drive in here versus the "standard" notebook drive thickness of 9.5mm (or 12.5mm with larger disks). It's not a huge device, but you definitely notice it's "there."

Overall, though, it works quietly, efficiently (it uses Western Digital's "Green" line of disks inside), and I've had absolutely zero problems with it. And for a hard drive which is designed for storage over speed (yes, it's USB 3.0, but it's only a 5400rpm disk), you can't say fairer than that!

4.5 stars out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready to use right out of the box, October 18, 2012
Leslie (Midwestern USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Western Digital Passport for MAC comes preloaded with backup and security software. While backup software is nice, security software on a portable drive is essential. It's easy to use and ready right out of the box.

Lightweight and portable this slim little drive fits in my pocket or bag and travels easily. It has small, low profile rubber feet on the bottom that keep it from sliding off the desk or the top of the computer. It comes with a small cable to connect to an external USB port. The drive is compatible with both the newer USB 3.0 and older USB 2.0. I'm still using USB 2.0 but even with the older technology the files transferred at lightening speed.

I've only had this drive for a few weeks and only time will tell if it will have longevity. However, I have several other Western Digital drives, one and internal and one a small Passport and both are over 3 years old, receive a lot of use, and are still performing perfectly. I would not hesitate to buy another WD drive in the future.

No matter how much I like the WD drives, I alway backup my files to two drives and of two different models. At some point most drives wear out but rarely will two different models fail at the same time. I expect long life, but not infinity.

Another note, windows users can get the same quality (without the MAC software) at a lower price by selecting the My Passport drive. If you ever need to use this drive with a PC, it can easily be reformatted for windows and takes less than five minutes.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so, December 8, 2012

On the actual purpose of the product which is to store data, it works fine. But I wouldn't recommend this and would recommend the other 2 TB WD Drive in black instead which is cheaper and does the same thing. For Mac users, even though it says formatted for Windows, don't worry; you can use Disk Utility to reformat the drive when it comes.

So the difference between this and the 2 TB WD in black? The casing. Just a different colour. And you pay more because it says "For Mac".

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison with My Passport Studio on USB 2.0, October 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using the Western Digital My Passport Studio 1 TB FireWire 800 External Hard Drive WDBK8A0010BBK-NESN for my Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. It was a very slick drive, enclosed with brushed aluminium case and supports Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 connections. Now, I have the WD My Passport for Mac which looked very similar to the WD My Passport Studio. I have been using it for a month now and would like to share my thoughts here.

The My Passport for Mac is a very small external drive. Unlike My Passport Studio, it has a plastic enclosure painted like a metal case. The My Passport for Mac is lighter and smaller than My Passport Studio. I was amazed by its storage capacity, 2TB! I guessed from the size that the My Passport for Mac uses a 2.5 inch hard drive and have never seen 2TB in this size before. Now is the time not to be surprised with a notebook computer equipped with 2TB capacity. Isn't it cool? Using a 2.5 inch drive means that it does not need any bulky AC adapter to carry. I always prefer to bring a 2.5 inch external drive for this reason and My Passport Studio has been served very well for this purpose. Until last month.

Unfortunately, I had to test the My Passport for Mac only with USB 2.0, since my college kid took my only mac equipped with USB 3.0. I was expecting the My Passport for Mac worked great on USB 3.0, but here was my Xbench disk test result of the My Passport for Mac on USB 2.0 connection.

Disk Test 41.22
Uncached Write 20.18 2.14 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 55.98 17.92 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 66.82 0.47 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 93.62 17.37 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Compared with the My Passport Studio on USB 2.0, which got 33.82 on disk test score, the My Passport for Mac was slightly faster in random read/write access. But in real life, both drives felt fast and did not notice much difference (if I used a USB 3.0 connection, I bet the difference would be obvious).

My choice right now is definitely the My Passport for Mac. It is smaller, lighter and has the double capacity of the My Passport Studio. I am still wowed by the fact that this tiny drive has that much space (2TB is huge for me). I have not had any problem with the My Passport for Mac and love to carry it anywhere. I did not try the software that came with it and have no intention of using it in the future. The reason why I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is that I do not know about the reliability which I think is important yet.

Overall, I love the small size and the capacity of this drive so much. This is a great drive even on USB 2.0 connection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dismounts itself randomly, March 19, 2013
WD is usually a very good and reliable drive but this model has some issues. After a few days the unit started to dismount itself randomly at about a rate of every 20 to 30 minutes. After checking the web to see if I was doing something wrong I found out that this is a well known issue but no one knows what is the problem.
Thie unit was directly attached to a Macbook pro via the supplied USB cable. Tried it on my iMac and my wife's MacBook the same result. Changing the cable did not help either. I have been using MacBooks and external drives for the last 13 years and never had this problem with any other hard drive. Avoid this model. It took me 4 days to get my data off of it to return it since I only could do a few folders at a time before it dismounted and stopped the copying process. And I had to figure out where in the process it had failed and start from there to continue.
It also would not do secure erase of my data since the MacBook would not have time to securely erase all data before the unit dismounted. what a big mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready to use for Mac users - but can also be used with Windows, September 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This capacious drive, with its 2 Terabyte (TB) is intended to serve Macintosh users by providing plug `n play simplicity and pre-loaded programs for using Apple's Time Machine feature and hardware level data encryption. The Western Digital programs provided are essentially fool proof.

The drive measures about 3.25 x 4.4 inches, is relatively thick at nearly .75 inches and is a bit on the heavy side compared to drives of lower capacity. In fact, I weighed this and a 1TB WD unit and there was a half-ounce difference. The drive has a USB 3.0 port, which can be used with USB 2.0 as well. Owners of earlier Macs may be disappointed to see that there is no FireWire 800 port, so they will be stuck with USB 2.0 speeds.

Owners of newer Macs with USB 3.0 ports will be treated to blazing read and write times. I didn't do any actual benchmarking: just downloaded And uploaded pretty big files to the drive. Fast!

PC owners can reformat the drive for Windows easily enough and more sophisticated users of both Operating systems can create multiple partitions for multiple operating systems. PC owners have the option of purchasing a somewhat expensive program that will read Mac formatted drives. Similarly, Windows formatted drives can be read by Macs. User's choice, obviously.

A word of caution: never, ever trust your backups and valuable data to a single drive! Always backup to two or more drives. End of sermon.

Overall, this is a good investment for the Mac owner who wants a pre-configured solution. Windows users who simply want a 2.5 form factor 2TB external hard drive might find less expensive solutions.

Jerry

1.0 out of 5 stars data-recovery experts call WD a terrible brand, May 8, 2013
Kswnyc (MIAMI, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD My Passport for Mac 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 (Personal Computers)
My WD Passport for Mac, purchased less than a year ago, died completely after a 1-foot drop onto a carpeted floor. Two data recovery experts I consulted (one independent, one at Tekserve in NYC) specifically said that the WD Passports are notoriously unreliable. Both strongly cautioned me against buying another.