4.0 out of 5 stars You can use any external hard drive with your Mac....
Published 11 months ago by Chuck Bittner

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
Published 10 months ago by MCW

4.0 out of 5 stars You can use any external hard drive with your Mac...., October 9, 2013
TIP: YOU CAN USE ANY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WITH A MAC AND DON'T NEED A "MAC COMPATIBLE" DRIVE. Amazon has a few cheaper drives if you look around. Be sure to buy the biggest drive you can afford as at some point you will need/want it. Be sure to check your price of the different sizes some are so close as to justify the up charge in price. At the time of writing the 1TBb drive was only $5 more than the 500GB drive so that is a no brainer.

If you're a Mac user setting up or erasing this hard drive up with your computer is super easy follow these steps. I never use software that comes with hard drives I just wipe them & use Time Machine.

1. Plug in the hard drive
2. Open up disk utility found in your applications folder inside the utilities folder
3. Next select the newly plugged in a hard drive and on the right-hand side you should see partition click on that.
4. Then inside that screen on the partition layout drop-down choose how many partitions you'd like to set up. I generally go with one partition and just use folders to organize my files.
5. Then on the right-hand side you can name the partitions and select the format. If you want your hard drive to work with your Mac for doing Time Machine backups (which I highly recommend) choose Mac OS Extended. Sometimes it's good to make two partitions and one using "MS-DOS fat" if you might be transferring files to and from a Windows machine. The reason is Windows machines and Max can read and write to the "MS-DOS fat" format but your files will need to be under 4 GB each as that's the maximum file size it can hold.
6. Then click apply and your Mac will create all the partitions you wanted and you're good to go.

Thanks for reading [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great portable drive for new Macs!, July 25, 2013
maxmasa31 "maxmasa31" (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In ten years, I've owned at least five external hard drives from Western Digital and have never had a problem with any of them. They're reliable, well-made, and priced right. I've never had one die on me and the only reason I've owned so many is that they eventually can't hold enough of my media! To this day, I still use the first 60 GB drive I bought for twice this price!

The WD My Passport is a very compact, lightweight drive perfect for students or professionals. It's not much larger than a deck of standard playing cards and weighs just a bit more. It uses a USB 3.0 interface, which allows for faster file transfer speeds, but you'll need a computer with the right connection.

How can you tell? Basically, if your Mac was purchased before June 2012, it most likely has the slower USB 2.0 ports. All NEW Macs, however, have USB 3.0 ports. If you're not sure, another way to tell is if you look at your USB ports--if it's blue, you're good--if it's white, it's still USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible, though, so it'll still work on a USB 2.0 port; you just won't see the speed increase--it'll transfer at USB 2.0 speeds. Also, USB 3.0's theoretical speeds aren't as fast as Apple's ThunderBolt, but it's the cheaper option. Still, it's a huge speed difference over the older USB 2.0 standard. As an example, I transferred a 25 GB video file from my MacPro to the drive in under 5 minutes; my old USB 2.0 drive took 14.

If you're a Mac user, this drive comes formatted in HFS, so it'll work for your right out of the box, no problems. If you're a Windows user, you'll have to reformat it to NTFS (or just buy the regular WD drive, which is usually cheaper and comes formatted for Windows). If you're planning on going between the two platforms, however, you'll need to format it in exFAT using a Windows computer. An exFAT drive will work on any Mac OS running Snow Leopard (10.6.5 ) or later, but you'll need to install a driver for use on Linux. Another final option is to buy a third-party program, like Paragon for Mac, which allows users to write to NTFS volumes, or MacDrive for PC, which mounts HFS volumes.

All the technobabble aside, this is a standard 5400 rpm external hard drive that's great for shuttling around large files, and with the faster USB 3.0 speeds, is great for on-the-go editing of raw video footage in Final Cut on a Macbook Pro. For reliability, price, size, and convenience, it's an easy five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Looking, Speedy, Ultra Compact Drive, July 21, 2013
Bruno (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I do a lot of coding work for my job and I need to constantly test my work on all major browsers and OS's. I needed something with more room than a thumb drive, but still very light weight and portable. It also needed to be able to work on both OSX and Windows. This fits the bill perfectly. To get this drive to work on both operating systems, I had to format the drive as exFAT. Now it works nicely on my MacBook Pro and Windows 7-8 boxes.

The drive is very tiny around the same size as my iPhone. Specifically though it is actually just 1/4" shorter in length than my iPhone and about 3/4" wider than iphone. It's actually slightly lighter in weight compared to iphone as well. All of this to say... it's lightweight, small and portable... small enough for your pocket even.

The unit is completely made out of plastic, but it has a very good looking and sturdy design. USB3 is obviously not as fast as thunderbolt, but it has sufficient speed for my needs. I also have no current windows boxes with a thunderbolt port on the motherboard, so I was trying to avoid that connection type.

I have owned a multitude of Western Digital internal and external drives over the years. I am partial to their brand, because they are long lasting very reliable drives. I am sure this one will not disappoint over time either. If you are looking for a nice looking, tiny-portable drive for OSX (even windows boxes) this is a solid choice to put on your radar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for the Retina Macbook Pro., September 3, 2013
Sledman (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
I've had the drive a few weeks and use it almost daily. I purchased a new Macbook Pro Retina and thought I could live with the 256 SSD drive in it. Turns out I was dead wrong. Even with streamlining my apps, not using it to store music and movies I still filled up the drive very quickly. I use this drive for everything, Dropbox,G-drive, movies, music etc. So far works great and the USB 3.0 is fast. Highly recommended. I do have a couple of notes:

1. This is the same as the standard 1T My Passport, only it comes pre-formated for mac (and has the "for mac" writing on it). You can buy and format the standard and it will be the same thing. I got this version because, I like the color and it was $15 cheaper at the time then the standard version and it saves me the 2 minutes of reformatting the drive.

2. It's very small and very light. I have an older My Passport and it's giant compared to this thing. The case is also plastic. Would have been nice to have aluminum for added protection but it seems sturdy. Also the aluminum and black will match your mac perfectly if thats what your going for.

3. After I received it and commuted for a bit I realized I probably should get a case for it. After looking online I decided on the Amazon Basics case. I can report it looks great, functions perfectly and adds the extra protection I was looking for so If I drop my bag I wont have to worry about the drive.

Again, If you need a great drive at a fair price then this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was backing up my Mac withing 30 sec of opening the box, August 15, 2013
Wow, now that was plug and play. Open box, plug in included USB cable to Macbook Pro. Open Settings, open Time Machine, turn on Time Machine, done. I regret not buying this earlier. Will be buying one for my husband.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, November 8, 2013
MCW (Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA) - See all my reviews
Purchased late September and used it for two weeks only on my personal macbook pro before it failed on me completely. Tried to work through a reformat with WD tech support and that failed as well, so they are sending me a new one and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Amazon won't refund any more. Despite the positive reviews here (which is why I bought it) I found it to be unreliable - beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MAC OSX MAVERICKS, April 11, 2014
This review is from: WD My Passport for Mac 2TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 (WDBZYL0020BSL-NESN) (Personal Computers)
This product, advertised specifically as "for Mac," actually needs to be reformatted to work with Mac OSX Mavericks. Western Digital should really stay up to date with operating systems if they are going to advertise their products as "for mac."

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great hard drive., September 25, 2013
First, I bought the 2TB external hard drive at BEST BUY at a lower price at $79. The price that its showing here for a 1TB. Hint. Hint.

Second, ever since I bought this, it hasn't let me down. I have so many family pics, holiday videos, special events, like my brothers Graduation Ceremony and much more.

Third, its quiet and portable and doesn't heat up at all. It's very reliable.

Finally, I would buy this if I were you, you wouldn't regret it. I know I haven't. Cheers!!!

vr,

U.S Veteran.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two strikes and out, January 25, 2014
Over a year ago I purchased a Western Digital "My Passport for Mac" external drive to back up my files (using Time Machine). In January 2013, it became corrupt, and because my hard drive was also having serious issues, I lost virtually everything on my iMac. I purchased another WD My Passport for Mac (1TB) drive last February (2013), and it worked fine (in conjunction with my new iMac) ... until the fourth week of this January (2014), when I noticed it had last backed up my files on Jan. 17 -- a full week earlier -- even though it was supposed to be backing up my files every hour. Manual attempts to back up my computer files failed. The result is that I ordered a third Time Machine-compatible backup drive (NOT a Western Digital) and am in the process of backing up my computer for the first time. I'm not going to reveal the brand of the drive I purchased, or provide a review of it, because I need to see how well (or poorly) it's going to work -- and for how long. Had I written a review of the WD within a few months of purchasing/using it, it would have been glowing, but having two of them go out on me within such a relatively short time is inexcusable. Maybe I just had the misfortune of purchasing two consecutive lemons, but I'm not willing to take a chance on a third attempt.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real beauty in a pocket size case, July 20, 2013
Bill Raley "Vista Bill" (Southern Maryland, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was fortunate to receive this 500 gb WD My Pasport Studio portable hard drive along with the companion one terabyte model. These comments and instructions apply to both.

This handsome portable drive is formatted for Macintosh users. The instructions are for Windows users that wish to reformat it for use on their Windows machine:

Having owned several WD drives (including the two internal drives in my computer), I felt confident
that I would not be disappointed with this gem. It is more handsome "in person" than in the picture. It
not only looks sturdy but it feels sturdy! This is a metal case with a nice satin finish. This is a
Macintosh drive formatted HFS and is compatible with Apple Time Machine but I wanted to use it on
my Windows (Vista) computer so reformatting the drive in NTFS format (New Technology File System)
was required.

This is relatively simple with a Windows machine. Connect the drive with the supplied
USB cable, Windows will recognize the drive but you won't see it anywhere. Now's the time to use the
Windows Disk Management application. Right click on "my computer" if you have a desktop icon (if
not, right click on start). Left click on "manage", click on "computer management snap-in launcher",
that will take you to "Computer Management". On the left side, you will see "Disk Management", click
on that, the window will be "blank" while it loads the disks you have on your computer (internal,
external, flash/travel drives, etc.) (I have nine!). The bottom section is where your new WD drive will
show up.

Note that there are blue bars and black bars. Your new WD disk will have an all black bar since there is
nothing on it. That's the drive you will be formatting. Be sure to take a moment to make sure you are
not formatting an existing drive. If you accidentally click on one of them, all data will be deleted when
the formatting takes place!

The drives will be numbered. The one you will be formatting will have an indication that is not
'initialized' (formatted), look for a teeny tiny red arrow to the left of the "Disk #). Click on that to begin
the formatting. This is a very slow process. It will take several minutes before you see any indication
that something is actually taking place! You'll see "Formatting: (nn%)". This is an extremely slow
process! Reformatting the one terabyte version took 12 hours. If, after a few minutes, nothing happens, click on 'more actions' (on the right side), then click on 'initialize disk'. Be sure the number corresponds with the disk you are formatting, and click. You will then see 'online' and the arrow will be gone.

If, after several minutes, the formatting has not started, you will need to partition the drive even though you only want a single partition. In the 'device manager', click on 'Simple Volume Wizard'. This will allow you to format the drive. This did not happen with the one terabyte drive, but the 500 gb drive required this additional step.

Once formatted, your disk will be ready for use. If you see an indication that the drive is in "Raw" format (in the top section), don't panic! Once a drive letter is assigned (automatic), it will show as being in the NTFS format.

If any of these instructions are not clear, stop! Go to Western Digital's website and follow their
instructions.

Western Digital's Website has excellent illustrated instructions... Formatting the drive to NTFS for
Windows:

[...]
ZC9xKjQ2RUl2bA%3D%3D

I will continue this review shortly. I wanted to make an attempt to assist Windows users with the
reformatting process. I have yet to have any of my WD drives (internal and external) fail. I leave my computer on 24 hours a day and feel very comfortable with WD products.

Rate and Discover Movies