Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Is WD Passport 2TB model formatted in FAT or NTFS? I have a WD 1TB Elements drive that has worked well... although it's like carrying around a brick. I really like the size of this new 2TB model.

The Elements drive came formatted with FAT (I suspect to make it backwards compatible with the greatest number of older computers out there). It took forever-and-a-day to reformat it to NTFS before I could use it.

So my question is this... Does this 2TB Passport model come formatted from the factory with FAT or NTFS? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks!
asked by Coolblueice on May 30, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
Should be NTFS, I have an older model (1TB My Passport) which came pre-formatted in NTFS. So there shouldn't any reason why this isn't in NTFS.
Andres answered on May 30, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
As a reference for anyone reading this, you can quickly convert a file system to NTFS by clicking on start, run, type in CMD
then type convert e: /fs:ntfs where E is the drive letter of your HD. Will do the job in a minute or two
saudor answered on June 25, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks Andres. Since posting my question, I went to the Western Digital site and looked up the details specs of the 2TB Passport... Indeed it comes per-formatted with NTFS.

Thanks again for your reply.
Coolblueice answered on May 30, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
NTFS
Joe Barry answered on February 13, 2013

A
The full discription informs you that these drives are formated NTFS
Clintlgm answered on February 24, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›