5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!
This was the first book that I had to get for my major and I will have to say i really enjoyed reading it and learning of the history of the tourism industry not to mention all the stories are great!
Published 7 months ago by Samantha

2.0 out of 5 stars why our students are morons
not to pick on this book specifically, but it is a perfect example of why our country produces so many idiots. this never gets beyond the surface of any topic. it would be nice if we produced something that would exactly challenge students. then we might make some progress....
Published 20 months ago by no name

2.0 out of 5 stars why our students are morons, April 29, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, May 29, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I expected!, April 27, 2014
This review is from: Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure (Paperback)
This book provides a lot of theoretical views and studies about leisure. I never realized that there was so much to discuss and think about when it came to deciding what kinds of leisure to enjoy, why an individuals chose this type of leisure, the cultural significance of leisure and much more. From chapter to chapter, the information that I read amazed me and provided me with more insight into leisure than I expected to receive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, I didn't know that., March 12, 2014
This review is from: Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure (Paperback)
Nicely written text book, with concepts most people don't ever consider. The low price saved me 60%. I would purchase from this Author (or seller) again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, December 19, 2013
This review is from: Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure (Paperback)
I bought this book for a class, but the information in the book is actually beneficial in terms of self improvement and pursuing happiness.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only buy it if you must, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure (Paperback)
It's a pretty good overview of society and leisure. Little definitions on the sides of a page make it easier to follow and pick out important ideas. Written in simple language, however some of the concept are oversimplified (inadequate explanation Sapir-Whorf hypothesis for example). I also found inconsistencies with other texts, for example in the section on cultural change a "melting pot" is said to be a mechanism for integration, while several other sources (printed, not just wikipedia) say a "melting pot" is assimilation, and the "mosaic" concept is integration. Those are just examples, there were a bunch of others.
So don't use it as a source to cite, but if you need a cheap book for a class, this is pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 9, 2013
This review is from: Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure (Paperback)
This book helped me to understand more about how important Leisure is. This helped me in my Leisure and Recreation class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, March 26, 2013
This review is from: Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure (Paperback)
Good book that was part of the course work required for degree in Sport Management. Easy and interesting reading about contemporary leisure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read textbook, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure (Paperback)
It's a textbook, and seems really simple to read to the point of wondering why it is written. I wouldn't purchase for casual reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality book, falling apart., December 22, 2014
This review is from: Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure (Paperback)
The binding of this book is broken and is not in good condition. Definitely buy from somewhere else.

Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure
Pastimes: The Context of Contemporary Leisure by Ruth V. Russell (Paperback - July 22, 2009)
Used & New from: $19.99