Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on February 10, 2015
Very comfortable shoes, so far they have held up to snow, and rain, and they are nice and warm in very cold days. The only thing I dislike about this shoes is that they are uneven. The left shoe looks normal, but the right shoe has a much wider gap between the "tongue" and its sides. When I say "much wider", I don't mean sixteenths of an inch, I mean at least half an inch to three quarters of an inch wider spacing, almost as if different patterns had been used to stitch the sides together. As a result, one of my feet looks as if it is exploding out the shoe, as if one of my feet had Proteus syndrome, or Elephantiasis, or some other mutation. I really wish more attention had been paid to quality control to prevent this issue, since you do not expect this from a recognizable brand at this price level. The attached picture shows the right shoe has a much wider gap that cannot be fixed by tightening the laces; there isn't enough material.
review image
on May 7, 2014
I recently purchased the Activist shoe and I must say I absolutely love them. They are incredibly comfortable, lightweight, and I get compliments on them nearly every time I wear them out. Bike commuting in the midwest city of Indianapolis requires a shoe thats durable and waterproof which is what originally what guided me to the Activist, as well as the looks (did I mention how great they look?) The parachute material effectively repels water while making the shoe light and packable for those touring days when you just want flip flops.

The reason I'm writing is because I noticed one aspect of the shoe that could be improved and would love to see an Activist 2.0 with an attached tongue feature. The reason is that the material can repel all the water in the world but if the tongue is not attached all the way up the lace area then water can seep in. I realize Patagonia has other solid waterproof hiking shoes, but I think this could potentially be a minimal upgrade with great results on a fantastic shoe.
on February 27, 2014
Nice shoe. I happen to get it right as we have had one of the worst winters in history in the Midwest. It has held up very well to the snow, salt, and slush. My only complaint is the absurdly long shoelaces. I am not even sure how those made it to retail. You will walk all over them. When I have time I will replace them. When I think Patagonia, I think rugged outdoor hiking, climbing, etc. While I have had no complaints with my snow and slush, I am not super confident how long these would last in a rugged hiking environment. This is only an opinion as I have not tried hiking in them, but I think I am pushing them to their limit with the snow and ice. If you want a cool alternative to a sneaker, then this is a great choice.
on March 6, 2016
Initially, I bought them for biking (just for recreational, fun biking that may lead to a hike or something), but the laces were too long and kept getting stuck in the gear. But they are really good looking, so I thought I'd wear them around for fun/style. They are really comfortable and look really good! The laces were, again, a bit in the way as they are so long and don't stay tied too well. A quick change out of lace was cheap, was a large improvement, and turned out to add more flash to the shoes, as I chose a flashy pattern. They are not too good for biking still, and they are NOT recommended for hiking (they just don't stay tight enough or offer enough support going over rocks). But, they are nice driving shoes. And they are great to got to the Market or Pike's Place.
on August 11, 2015
I've been wearing them nonstop since they arrived. They are very lightweight, super comfy, pillowy even, and are surprisingly good on wet slippery granite (I went fly fishing and was wet wading in the sierra in some small and medium sized streams). Though not super robust or something I would want to take on long hikes over angular rocky terrain, they are like sneakers for the outdoors and fine for shorter hikes or on soft forested trails. I like them. I just ordered a second pair in another color. Too bad Patagonia is no longer making shoes. The long laces thing… come on people, use some scissors, cut the nylon lace to your spec, then use a match to light the new cut and to keep them from fraying. Longish is better than shortish. Cut to fit. Recommend these for sure.
on September 9, 2015
I absolutely love these shoes, they are my favorite shoes I ever had. I originally bought them for rocky trail climbing, at which they did very well, but found them so comfortable, they became one of my daily wear shoes as well.

Details.
Soles are very grippy and sticky on a range of surfaces. May take a bit to get used to if you aren't used to grippy shoes.
Insanely light weight, almost like not wearing shoes at all.
Front to Back Sole thickness ratio is backwards from most shoes. Rather than having a bigger heel, the front is slightly bigger making it more comfortable to push forward on trails and things. These are not going to be good basketball shoes.
on August 10, 2015
I don't know why I keep doing it, but shoes never look like the photos when they arrive. These are lightweight, flat-soled shoes with little in the way of support. Best for kicking around the house, town or camp, but I don't know if I'd hike in them. Most of my shoes are hiking or running type shoes, which have a bit of heel in them, though it's not always apparent. These are FLAT-soled, like Chuck Taylors or something. I wear them to work, which is fine. They go well with Levis. I do like the styling, they are unique, but still look outdoorsy. I guess most Patagonia footwear is stylistically apart from the crowd.
on May 10, 2015
I really like both the look and the feel. They are basically sneakers, but Ive snuck into work on a friday or two wearing them. They basically fit like a toms or sanuk - IE a flipflop with a bolt on upper. I do think they look quite a bit better than either those. The upper is sort of a thick tent like material, so they pack basically flat. If you travel a lot and want a quick, light travel sneaker, I think this works. I probably would not consider them for all day hiking or heavy exercise, but for a quick jaunt, or something active/casual, I think these are pretty great.
on September 1, 2015
Interesting pair of shoes. They have a uniquely Patagonia style, which comes through as a great hiking shoe. The toes are wider for your size and allows good balance. They are made for daily wear, and they are firmer than tennis shoes. The ideal terrain for these shoes would be a mountain creek trail, with mud, rocks, and roots. For daily wear they are tough and ready for adventure. The outer material is an unusual cross between sleeping bag and tent material that takes a little getting used to. The laces are long and the eyelets allow water into the shoe. I give this a five because Bear Grylls could survive a week with the long paracord laces and the fabric doesn't get wet and the shoe dries out quickly.
on October 7, 2015
I though these might be the best shoes in the world until I wore them to work and realized there was a defect in the right shoe. Some kind of funky bump in between the sole. It became very painful and uncomfortable toward the end of the day I would highly recommend looking elsewhere. Certainly not worth an 80 or $90 price range!