5.0 out of 5 stars Patagonia DX Case - PERFECT!
Published on August 12, 2009 by Plain Mike

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fit the Kindle and not worth $54
Published on August 22, 2009 by Lori P

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fit the Kindle and not worth $54, August 22, 2009
This review is from: Patagonia Kindle DX Case (Fits 9.7" Display, Latest and 2nd Generation Kindles)
I couldn't get my Kindle to fit into the case without forcing it and I didn't want to force it. I also didn't like the fact that it's about 3 times as thick as the Kindle. I just want something to protect my Kindle I don't need extra space. And this was definitely not worth $54. $20 maybe, but not $54. I ended up returning it and I bought an HP mini-notebook neoprene cover at Best Buy for $15. The Kindle fits great and there is some additional room for the cord and other accessories if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patagonia DX Case - PERFECT!, August 12, 2009
Plain Mike (Mount Shasta, CA) - See all my reviews
Reading the previous review, I was a little worried ordering the Patagonia DX case. I had the smaller 2nd generation Kindle, and had the Patagonia Case for it. I liked that case a lot, and this one is BETTER! The previous case had fairly soft elastic at the corners to retain the Kindle, and there were a couple of times when it slipped out of one or two corners with pretty mild handling. I fitted velcro to the back of the kindle and inside that case to keep some future slippage from dropping the small Kindle. This case has a semi-ridgid shell, and much more substantial restraints. It looks like it will work perfectly without any mods.

I think the semi-ridgid cover will protect the screen even better than the smaller Patagonia Case. The fact that edges wrap a little above the face of the Kindle will probably help protect the Kindle if it falls, even if the case is open.

The edges of the case can easily be bent down if necessary for access to controls and connectors.

This is a winner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually, quite nice!, October 1, 2009
I am the type of person who is very picky about what I purchase and will return it in a heartbeat if it is not perfect - that being said, I purchased this with some hesitation based on the other reviews and have absolutely no intention of returning it. It is not actually that hard to get your kindle in. It will not just pop in, but if you are decently dexterous you should be just fine (I'm not amazing and did it just fine in maybe 20 seconds, if that). The power switch and the spot to plug in are very easy to access by merely bending the case a little.

Two warnings:
1. When I read "shell" I thought "somewhat hard shell." It is not, which I was disappointed about (this is also the reason it got 4 and not 5 stars). However, since NONE of the cases really offered good screen protection (by my standard), I decided to improvise and put a small piece of egg carton packaging I had in the sleeve that faces the kindles screen and now its perfect.
2. This is the type of case you will most likely leave your kindle in all the time just based on the way it goes in and out. Its fine for me because I'm careless and prefer it to be protected at all times - but if you like to take the kindle out of the casing when you read this then this case is probably not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most protective and most durable DX cover! #1 in my book :), February 24, 2010
BY FEMALE OWNER:

I purchased the Patagonia cover at the same time I bought my Kindle DX (December 2009). Believe me, I read almost every review on each DX cover--I did not make my decision without due research. I TRAVEL A LOT...

This cover gets a thumbs-up from me. I HAVE NEVER taken my Kindle out of this cover. It is easy to keep clean, it has a convenient handle, it is oh-so-sturdy, it zips completely around the DX, and it's LIGHT WEIGHT .

I don't understand the negative reviews written here.

1. It is NOT difficult to insert the reader into this case. It simply fits snuggly into the four corner slots and the last slot is tighter than the other three! If it weren't, the reader would fall out.

2. This is by far the most protective case for the DX. I travel with mine, throw it in my tote bags, suitcases, car, etc. I have ceased being overly careful; I know the Patagonia Case will protect my Kindle.

3. I like the inside pocket--I keep my reading light in the pocket along with papers.

4. The case does NOT make the Kindle difficult to turn On & Off. This was the silliest complaint I read. You simply "stick your finger on the top of the reader" BETWEEN the cover and the Kindle DX! Now, unless your fingers are the sizes of horses' hooves, I really don't understand the complaints about THIS.

5. I never remove my Kindle DX from the Patagonia Cover. I always read with it in the cover--it's that comfortable and reliable.

>>The only downsides I can imagine are really "picky"...

1. The Patagonia Brand is definitely in the "sporty looking" catagory. If you're looking for something to match your $4,000 Chanel Tote Bag, this case will not be your favorite. {*:*}

2. The Patagonia Cover naturally takes up a bit more space than the others because it is almost hard-cover and built to PROTECT. Neither does it slip easily into small spaces or purses. I think it is a bit bigger overall than the "sleeves" or other covers. It does fit in most of MY purses and totes (I use larger bags).

BUT...you can be sure that if you drop your Amazon-Kindle DX while it is zipped up inside its Patagonia Cover, you have no worries! This was the most important feature for me.

***I also suggest purchasing the clear protective screen cover and an E-reading light--only needed as you would normally use a reading light--in the dark, etc.

Enjoy your world of books!

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to use, September 12, 2009
Patagonia case offers great protection with one caveat - the top is not stiff enough to keep material from pressing against screen in a crowded bag. Another limitation is that it is very difficult to insert the reader into the 4 tabs - the last one obviously the most difficult. The fit is just tight enough to make using the zipper less than ideal. The cover also makes it less than easy to access the power button.

I used the Patagonia & then switched to the far superior Amazon leather case.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, October 25, 2009
Agree with other reviewers about the difficulty in securing the kindle inside the cover. It seems too hard and if you do get it secured then you can't access the power port so you have to detach it and then.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Overated carrying case, October 26, 2009
The carrying case sold by Kindle is much more sturdy and secure than this case. This case is simply a softshell case that does not secure your Kindle, while the Kindle case has two hooks that secure the device and safeguards it from falls r sudden movement.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible case, November 5, 2009
J. Kim (Sunnyvale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
this is a terrible case. for one, my screen cracked (so much for protection) and lastly, the corner bands that hold the kindle always come off.

looking for a new cover as we speak.

waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars zipper does not work, October 3, 2009
Donald E. Mcdonald "rxdonald" (Claremont, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
Great case. Good protection for the kindle DX, but unfortunately the zipper kept sticking and it was really hard to get it loose. Finally returned it to a patagonia store where they confirmed the poor workmanship and gave me a refund. Patagonia you have a good idea but you need a better zipper.

2.0 out of 5 stars Patagonia Case for Kindle DX, September 15, 2009
This case does NOT fit the Kindle DX well! It is a very tight fit and the little tabs at the corners to hold it don't go around the corners...find something else.