Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 26, 2014
After doing a good bit of research I settled on the Patagonia Torrentshell. While not quite as nice as the 30 year old Goretex jacket it is replacing, this is an incredible jacket for the money. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it could be a bit longer. Extremely waterproof, and the hood works well. And it was far less expensive than the other 2 jackets I was considering. A terrific rain jacket that I'm sure will see plenty of use.
on January 11, 2016
I have worn through, researched, and tested a lot of outdoor gear; and I have to start off and say initially I wanted to buy a dedicated bombproof 3-layer hard-shell with the works: fully sealed seams, hydrophobic zipper without the ridiculous storm flaps, cinch hood, waist cinch, adjustable wrist-cuffs, etcetera.

This jacket, though it is a 2.5 Layer is just as good in my opinion for the average consumer than any 3 layer without breaking the bank. I have been testing this jacket for the last couple months and it has still not wetted out (I have not applied any DWR myself) in a Chicago ice storm with winds reaching 40mph, an Indianapolis winter rainstorm where I was in the rain for 7 hours, and Northern Indiana snow where I was skiing and everything was watertight and windproof.

This jacket, as said before is totally worth the money. It is a perfect hard-shell for those people who aren't serious outdoor athletes yet but want to be. My only complaint is that sometimes the storm flaps around the zipper get caught in it at weird angles, but that in and of itself isn't worth docking a star because it doesn't compromise the integrity of the jacket.

Overall: excellent windproof/waterproof beginner hard-shell for those new to layering systems and want a competitively priced hard-shell that performs darn near on-par with 3 layer hard-shell's.
The Patagonia Torrentshell Jacket is a light-weight, form-fitting rain jacket, built for the minimalist out there who doesn't need lots of bells and whistles in their clothing. The jacket is cut to the hips so as not to interfere with leg movement and the shell is thin enough not to bunch up during movement. It may be a bit close-fitting for multiple layers underneath, and there isn't a lot of insulation value. It does have a hood, two handwarmer-type pockets, and pit-zips. Recommended.
on October 22, 2014
Great fit, great look, good wind blocker on bike ride today. Kinda stiff so its slighlty loud (as it sounds like krinkling paper bags) but its synthetic to the max and gets the job done! Paper thin and ultra light to wear.
on March 29, 2016
I really like this jacket and there are many good reviews that I won't repeat. Instead I will tell you what this jacket is not.

This is not a raincoat that you keep hanging by the door and grab on days when it's going to rain. It's not particularly good looking or comfortable. The inner bright white liner is ugly. It is a bit noisy as plenty of others have mentioned. This is not a jacket to wear to get from the car to the building or the store. It's not a casual jacket. If you buy it just because you want to wear a top of the line raincoat to the office, we'll then the joke's on you because a $30 raincoat looks better, feels better, and will do the job just fine.

But if what you're really looking for is a serious raincoat for serious weather that you will be for a serious amount of time, then this is a great jacket. I love how compact this is to keep in a backpack. When you're in a monsoon you won't hear or care that the jacket is noisy.

Since I wanted a more specific color I wound up buying it from REI as it was the same price but goes towards the annual dividend.
on March 6, 2016
Patagonia claims everywhere that they take the greatest care testing their gear before offering it for sale. Thing is, I bought this jacket and the inside flap of the zip constantly gets stuck in the zip. This is a serious conception flaw that was fixed years ago even on low-end rain jackets. Very disappointing and not living up to Patagonia's reputation.
on October 8, 2015
When I was backpacking in the John Muir Wilderness last week, the inside layer peeled and left tiny bits of plastic all over my campsite.
What a mess to clean up.
on June 13, 2016
This rain jacket sheds water, but the inside holds body moisture. It does not breath very well at all. I am just as wet wearing it, as not. A few times I have worn it with short sleeves. It is clammy against the skin. Most uncomfortable. I have returned it to Patagonia.
on October 15, 2015
Good quality, no-frills jacket. It's waterproof, as advertised. They are quite expensive but I've yet to be disappointed in the quality of a Patagonia garment.
on October 5, 2015
Perfect rain shell. Weighs nothing and lets no water through. No thermal R-value, but works perfectly as a shell.