Patching or Lack Thereof...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2012 3:15:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2012 12:53:41 PM PST
T. J. Young says:
WARNING: Contains a wall of text of what I feel is important information. If you want to avoid reading all of it, see the -'s as key points or bullets.

So we're just about to the one month mark on the release of the game. I'd make this post on the official forums but for some reason my access keeps getting removed with every forum update (it's been addressed, and customer service doesn't know why it keeps happening so I've given up on submitting tickets).

- Anyway, what is everyone's general feel of the patching thus far. I listed some issues in my review and I've noted plenty in other reviews or off-site here that haven't been addressed yet. I know there's a number of issues noted by the devs (like the game forcing medium textures and not allowing AA), that also haven't been addressed yet.

To me, it feels like with each and every patch nothing is fixed. The last patch on the 12th fixed all of three things. The patch before that, three issues. The patch before, two. At this stage in the game we should be seeing patches of 100MB+ fixing a score of issues. The most substantial patch was on 01-04-12 fixing 36 issues (none of which I personally experienced, I don't know about you guys).

- As an example Rift released a patch on opening day that was outrageous. It fixed a total of 292 issues!!! Release day for TOR (early release)? Nothing. Since release 13 total patches. All of which combined doesn't even come near as much as Rift had on ONE day.

Now I use Rift as an example primarily because it was my last MMO. But it also serves as a good example for the MMO industry. This is a game developed by a company never having made an MMO before. They made significant changes based on the communities responses, and the game has been relatively good thus far. I personally think that out of the 100's of MMO's I've tried (retail and free), it was the smoothest release yet.

But anyway, what's the deal? I'd much rather see Bioware come out with one solid patch that fixed the hundreds of issues in the game, than a patch a day fixing one or two things. To me, it seems like the inexperience might be getting to them. They continue to tell us to expect certain fixes (like the textures, flashing lasers across the screen, Jedi Knight companion, etc) are coming, but then don't follow through with it (or at least not yet).

Am I the only one to feel let down by the lack of direction of the team? The free month is coming to an end and I have a feeling that a BUNCH of people are going to cancel their subscriptions. I for one am giving them three months and that's it. I've already picked that subscription and will stick with it. If after that time I don't see the progress we should be having (fixes, added content, etc) then I will need to bail on them.

- What is everyone's thought on this?

EDIT:

- I crunched the numbers because I was bored. Again I use Rift as an example because they keep track of the patches well and it's relatively new:

TOR (After 30 days, 12-15-11 - 01-13-12): 13 patches, 96 fixes
Rift: (After 30 days, 02-24-11 - 03-25-11): 15 patches, 723 fixes

Now I assume someone is going to come up with the "TOR was better made so therefore has fewer patches" or something to that affect. The current issues noted in the game from severe to the most "insignificant" are in the hundreds. So please don't be ignorant and say something like that.

Someone might say there were more beta patches prior to launch, but from memory there were more patches in Rift during the beta than TOR and I did both closed betas (I had full access to both without scheduling restrictions for the general public). That really doesn't matter considering I'm just talking post release.

Someone also might try and point out that TOR was released during a holiday season. But again, if we want to talk about content in patches before the holiday vs say Rift in the same amount of time... there were significantly fewer patched issues. So that's not an excuse per se... but I will give Bioware a little leeway. Hence my continued subscription.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 7:29:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2012 7:35:50 AM PST
kpsting says:
See you after 2 [more] months, then.

P.S. just curious, what's the problem with JK companion?
What are the other "severe" bugs?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 8:05:26 AM PST
Darth Brooks says:
The issue with the JK companion that I think you're talking about was a bug where, if you chose a certain darkside flirt option at a specific point, she would no longer talk to you. I THINK this has since been resolved.

@ T.J.

I think I prefer this smaller, iterative pathching method. I believe that SOME of the bugs addressed were major issues for some of the playerbase. Personally, I'm in for the long haul, because the game itself is really fun for me, and I have noticed no bugs that were gamebreaking for me.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 8:12:40 AM PST
kpsting says:
Ah it has been fixed then. Hear that TJ? It's fixed!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 8:20:16 AM PST
Darth Brooks says:
Note, the issue has been fixed for JKs who have not yet made this choice. Think it is still bugged if you did it before December 27th, when the fix came out. Think they're working on getting the fix to the people who were already bugged in patch 1.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 9:46:09 AM PST
Rift - Released with hundreds of major "gamebreaking" issues, thousands of minor issues
SWToR - Released with several major "gamebreaking" issues, hundreds of minor issues

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 12:49:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2012 1:13:38 PM PST
T. J. Young says:
Yeah there is no JK fix right now... for those that made the choice before. As Brooks said. I personally don't have a JK so it doesn't affect me in the slightest... but there's over 100+ pages on the forums in a single thread that affects people. There's a ton of graphical issues, animation problems, map issues (falling through and/or getting stuck in places) among many other issues. There's still an issue right now that prevents the Bounty Hunters at 50 from getting access to the same flashpoints as every other class.

Meh, I'd like to start seeing some progress here with the fixes. Certain bugs are still there from a number of client versions in the beta. So hopefully they get on top of it because as I said... if any community is crazy about it, it's the MMO one... and if there aren't fixes there will probably be the biggest exit of subscriptions to the biggest entrance as well.

EDIT:

I did just head to the website and a patch is on the way that'll fix 70 issues. I still notice a number of issues not being addressed which still concerns me. The majority of fixes are pretty insignificant still... so I'm hoping they start cracking after this.

EDIT II:

Darth Brooks... would you happen to be the same Brooks from the 4th Fleet? :P

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 8:53:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 8:55:33 AM PST
Campy says:
Bugs I wish they fixed already

-certain Nar Shadaa and tatooine missions you can't seem to drop
-the commendation in the mail issue
-Corso Riggs' harpoon won't stay turned off
- green glow in tatooine

I dunno, they are annoyances, but not game breaking, IMO.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 12:57:53 PM PST
T. J. Young says:
Yeah I've never claimed any game breaking issues... though some may say Kira or other issues are game breaking for them. I personally haven't seen it. But collectively all of the problems force me to not be interested in the game as I would have liked. The Devs have recently replied on the forums for the texture issue and said it's working as intended. They've stated that textures wont be as high resolution as you see in the screenshots. Naturally that set off over 4,000 replies, and a lot of disappointments. For me, I have a PC that I think should handle better graphics (everything maxed on Skyrim with no problems and an HD mod on top of it).

So while that was disappointing to me, I just realized that collectively I can't stand the many issues I face. I'm in the process of canceling my subscription. I know they wont even notice or care... but the issues just aren't being fixed. This next patch while more significant than previous ones, still isn't addressing most concerns of the players. Not mine at any rate. So I made a lengthy post on their forums (which I can now post on yay)... but I doubt they'll reply to it.

Oh and I heard they were adding a new level 50 flashpoint. Something about a zombie infestation. Ugh. I'd rather see a new area or a social place for all levels to go. Something a tad more involved than a flashpoint.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 1:39:11 PM PST
W.Westphal says:
Hmmm...often when I play movement is extrememly slow. I think that MIGHT be a issue with my computer though.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 5:19:52 AM PST
Diknak says:
I agree that Rift had more patches, but it also had more game changing patches (not fixes) because they were too quick to make decisions and caused the game go down the crapper. Things such as allowing people to have mounts at level 1, nerfing invasions so that they can almost always be soloed, nerfing Tier 2 dungeons, etc. They made the game faceroll easy and don't make you work for anything. Not to mention that many of their fixes broke other things.

I would rather have well tested fixes that don't cause more issues when deployed. I loved how Trion communicates with their players, but they listen to their players too much, which is a terrible thing because all of the people throwing temper tantrums on the forums make the game worse.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 6:17:55 AM PST
doz70 says:
So you ask our opinions, but then give us a list of opinions we are not allowed to have.

It is funny how perceptions differ though. I thought they were going fast with patches, with bug fixes every couple days it seems like, felt to me like the devs are well on top of things. You perceive it just the opposite.

There are a lot of little bugs that need to be addressed, you are right. The only game stopper I ran into was on my class quest I looted a mission item that did not register, so I could not continue. But, I just reset the quest, and it worked fine. So, annoying, but not game breaking. I'm having enough fun with the game right now to overlook things like that. If you aren't then you should probably wait 6 months or so before playing, should be ironed out by then.

But, to answer your question, patch rate seems fine to me. I could really care less about Rift 's patch rate, as I never played it. I'm sure swtor is patched slower than some games, faster than others. Picking one arbitrarily to compare it with doesn't show a whole lot.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:06:18 AM PST
Having loved rift, the patch rate was fantastic. They made a lot of chanes quickly, which like others stated, broke other things. They try to fix pvp...break it more. Fix it back, and broken again...

as far as TOR goes, i want them to fix UI's, release the dang graphics..that is just pissing me off. and do something about stuns in PVP. fix that, then go into adding more fluff items, social areas, interactable objects, ya know..just things that get you immersed in a game.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:29:55 AM PST
Ashy says:
Today's patch is rather large and adds AA. I think bioware is doing an above average job fixing these things so far. I've leveled 1 character to 50 and I'm wearing all epics and i think I've experienced like 5-10 minor bugs the whole time. I've been stuck like 3 times and used /stuck. A few quest bugs that I reset. I think with all the content and amount of players they did a superior job. I thin TuorInglorion hit a lot of the things most people are looking forward too. According to a forum post from a bioware admin the UI wil be fixed before the end of march.

I do think some stuns need to be nerfed a little but they haven't ruined pvp for me. I think all the stuns, pulls, and pushes make huttball exciting with a well rounded group. They could use some fine tuning but I think if they make brash decisions one month in to launch that could fracture the player base.

All in all I do enjoy the game more than wow and rift, but that is my opinion. Are there problems? Yes, but I trust Bioware will fix them because if not they don't they will lose subscriptions.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:05:32 PM PST
Diknak says:
1.1 was released today? Sweet, can't wait to go home and check it out.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:20:45 AM PST
Diknak says:
1.1 was delayed. I think it might be going in today.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 6:08:56 AM PST
NERF Operatives/Scoundrels...which I heard is supposed to be this patch or the next. I am a tank specced, geared, powertech with lvl 40 warzone commendation gear and I get taken down to 10% in the opening moves of a scoundrel. The stuns are a little annoying but like @Ashy above it should be delicately tweaked since it does add to some of the best moments, almost like a good game of Sorry. Yanking down to the lower pit just as they are about to score is quite satisfying. Maybe adding something that makes you immune to chain stuns, like if you get hit with a stun you are immune for 15 secs or so from another stun. Also, if you can try a game with 3 healers, you will destroy almost any group, healing is really lopsided as far as classes and the inquis/sage needs to be adjusted down some I think. Overall good job so far on Biowares part, they are not making knee jerk patches which is usually worse int he long run thenb slower but considered patches.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 8:12:43 AM PST
"TOR (After 30 days, 12-15-11 - 01-13-12): 13 patches, 96 fixes
Rift: (After 30 days, 02-24-11 - 03-25-11): 15 patches, 723 fixes"

Could this be because Rift wasn't as polished as people like to think it was and it needed all of these fixes to be a better game? I think one could make a valid argument for this.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 9:41:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012 9:41:15 AM PST
Diknak says:
Rift was actually more polished than SWTOR at launch and they added a lot of new functionality during the betas in a very short time. Trion really knows how to listen to their community and push stuff out the door. In fact, they listened to their community too much because they catered to all of the whining kids on the forums and nerfed everything at the drop of a hat.

It really is too bad that the game lacks any form of depth and any lore worth paying attention to. The game plays like you are watching a show from the outside and just a spectator; all quests are just a wall of monologue text with an OK button. That is what made me come to SWTOR because even though this game has issues, all of the issues I care about can be easily remedied, where as with Rift, they are fundamental issues that will exist forever.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 3:13:30 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 19, 2012 3:16:54 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 7:12:49 AM PST
I disliked hutt ball in the beggining, but man there can be some crazy epic moments...as in going ahead w/ an amazing pass with 3seconds left after you were pulled from the depths of hell by an aware healer!

regarding scoundrels/gunslingers...I have no issues, they can do a ton of dps, maybe alittle nerf needed I guess. but they have not been an ongoing issue for me. Im a 42 tank, with my healer friend, the only way we go down is against ridiculous odds, or they get him chain stunned(which is rare b/c people will pop em off all at once). 5 vs 2, and we still dont die if they dont get the stuns in on him. we dont usually kill them, but we hold off for others to show up.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 1:42:20 PM PST
W.Westphal says:
Woot! This recent update has also improved my gameplay. I'm able to play now. It's a bit slow, but I'm able to play.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Wars: The Old Republic - PC
Star Wars: The Old Republic - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (812)