"The book does an excellent job of integrating basic science concepts with clinical medicine. Each of the organ system chapters reviews the normal anatomy, physiology and histology, then follows with the pathophysiology, clinical findings, and pathology of the more commonly encountered disorders. Additionally there are chapters on genetic diseases, immune diseases and neoplasia which similarly link basic science principles with clinical disease entities. Each chapter contains periodic "checkpoint" questions which guide the reader to the most important concepts. Each chapter also ends with several case studies with questions and discussions, similar to those encountered on board examinations." (Doody's 2003-01-03)
From the Back Cover
"Pathophysiology at its BEST. This incredible blend of physiological and pathological concepts beautifully integrates the two subjects ... highlights important concepts in student-friendly ways ... excellent for review and preparing for exams."
-- medical student review
The perfect bridge from basic sciences into clinical sciences, this unique volume introduces disease as disorder in body systems and functions. Pathophysiology of Disease focuses on 100 diseases commonly encountered in everyday practice. Each chapter describes normal structure and function of a major organ or system, and contrasts disease pathology and disordered physiology, including the roles of genetics, immunology, and infection. Underlying disease mechanisms are revealed, including the creation of signs and symptoms seen in common presentations-and the way disease mechanisms themselves determine which treatments will be effective.
See all Editorial Reviews
* Organized by body systems and organs
* Over 80 clinical case studies-50 new to this edition
* Q&As for self-assessment throughout each chapter
* Generously illustrated with more than 300 tables, charts, photos, and drawings
* New sections on neoplasia and rheumatic diseases
* Covers normal structure and function, pathology and disordered physiology, resultant signs and symptoms, and "whys" of treatments
* Great study aid for boards and exams