5.0 out of 5 stars Great information that is hard to find

Published on May 5, 2012 by G. Bell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information that is hard to find, August 23, 2007
K. Williamson (Los Lunas, New Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patients Beyond Borders: Everybody's Guide to Affordable, World-Class Medical Tourism (Paperback)
I spent a lot of time on the internet trying to research this topic on my own and looking for certain procedures (mainly dental and cosmetic surgery). It is nice to have this book as a resource, there is a lot of helpful info. in this book - I found it very informative and easy to read. I wound up getting dental work done in Mexico at a facility reviewed in this book and am happy with my experience. I recommend this book to anyone even remotely considering foreign medical travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Comprehensive, March 19, 2007
I found 'Patients Beyond Borders" to be incredibly helpful when navigating the complex issue of medical travel. Great contact information - helpful advice - easy to understand and it covers all the bases with listings by country and procedure. I found the treatment index, budget planner and comparative pricing information very valuable and was impressed with all of the specific information in the book. A true resource for anyone considering traveling abroad for healthcare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Western Healthcare Industry In Trouble?, February 5, 2008
I'm often shocked when my patients from the US or UK tell me how much they would have paid for the $400 customised tooth whitening kit I just did for them. Needless to say, charges for more complex procedures must be astronomical where these patients come from. Hence, this very valuable book.

Actually, medical tourism is nothing new as far as Singapore is concerned. For decades, patients from the US, Europe and Australia have been coming to Singapore for major surgery and dental treatment. It's only in recent years that hospitals in Bangkok and Malaysia that have come into the picture and Bangkok has done so well that it is giving Singaporean doctors a run for their money.

Written in 3 parts, this book provides a very detailed and specific guide for Western patients seeking medical treatment in unfamiliar territories. Part 1 tells you how to choose a good, reliable facility. Part 2 provides background information on the countries where world class medical services are provided. Suggestions on accommodation are also provided.

Part 3 is just a glossary of medical terms. But even as this book is being revised, it is important to note that very rapid changes are occurring in places like India and Southeast Asia. It's a highly competitive market and new and better deals keep emerging.

Whole-Body Dentistry: Discover The Missing Piece To Better Health

A Patient's Guide to Dental Implants

The Perfect Smile: The Complete Guide to Cosmetic Dentistry

The Anti-Aging Solution: 5 Simple Steps to Looking and Feeling Young

Renewal: The Anti-Aging Revolution

5.0 out of 5 stars great little guide, February 11, 2011
Kevin Grimes (Dallas, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book in 2009 to scope out alternatives to the $90K dental estimate that I was given in US (11 implants and a lot of other stuff). I used it to narrow down my search to Costa Rica, researched the dentists that it cited, got quotes, and am now 80% complete with my year long treatment program (normal time span for this degree of work). I will end up saving 2/3 off the US cost. Found doctors in Costa Rica to be equally qualified to those in US and much more patient focused. As the book points out, doctors send car to airport to pick you up, will arrange hotel etc. for your stay. The book is very accurate compared to my actual experiences. It has been worth its weight in gold. Would recommend to anyone, in conjunction with other research tools

5.0 out of 5 stars Medical care in a Global Village, March 22, 2007
Along with so many other things in our lives these days, it appears health care is also now part of our global village. After reading Woodman's book, and seeing clips on the news and NPR, it is obvious that other countries are offering global health care. I certainly have my own horror stories about hospitals in our country, and find it very comforting to know that there are options now. The pictures of the hospitals are a far cry from ours here. Even my husband said "when do we check in?" The book is definitely on the edge of something very big, and I was happy to learn how to go about getting help and treatment in other countries. As we get older, Steve and I are glad to feel that we have a choice to travel to another country to get treated decently.

Peggy Strickland

1.0 out of 5 stars Had a bad experience using this book, May 5, 2012
There is really a need for a website to do what the book tries but then listing need to be current and there needs to be feedback, review. Things change. If they were really any good to begin with. The report I got was that someone connected with book asked if the dentist could be included and they said yes, so after a little bit of dental work -they were. Fill a cavity and get recommended to do major surgery! Something very wrong about that.

The book was bad for me. I read the listings. I checked another book and it listed it too. I trusted - mistake. Told one price in an email. Flew there, add to the price. Add a hotel to the price. Once there, they jacked up the price- a lot. Said, I can't afford that, so we cut back on general anthethesia. Set a price. But they fought like hell to not give me an accounting like you would get in the US. If that happens to you - walk. They did not give the same standard as here in the US not even close. But I expected that - sort of. The book says they have the same standards. Not true. But afterwards, they demanded a lot more money.

Now things are going wrong. Bone is showing. It's a failure. And they will not tell me the type of bone implanted or the size of screws - because I actually paid in advance what was agreed. AVOID PRISMA DENTAL in Costa Rica! They use this book in their office to reassure people. It worked. But I should have walked.

My advice: search around the embassy websites for recommended people. Check multiple embasssies for their refrences and then you might even contact them and see if there have been any concerns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know to make a decision, March 18, 2007
It is very clear that a lot of work went into this book.

It's information is comprehesive and well organized. Even better,

the writing style is conversational, making the book easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every medical traveler should read this first, July 31, 2008
Diane L. Boyd (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Medical travel (or medical tourism) is all over the news these days as people look for the best health care, not only in terms of cost but also in safety, quality, and simple human kindness. Even though we all know the American health care system is struggling and we've all heard horror stories about dirty hospitals with overworked nurses accidentally giving patients the wrong drugs, many of us are still not sure that medical travel is a good idea. It's new to a lot of people and the old stereotype of back-alley clinics with doctors who don't speak a word of English still hangs on.

More and more people are finding out that medical travel really does open up a world of excellent medical and dental care, if you are smart and do your homework. Woodman's book is very timely and he does a lot of the work for you by pulling together information that would take hours of research on the Web to find. He goes beyond the superficial "people are getting tummy-tucks overseas" stories and he covers all aspects of medical travel. He is clear about both the potential advantages and potential pitfalls of traveling for health care.

As health travel planners, we at Affordable World Care can be more effective in working with patients who understand what to expect and know how to work with their doctor or dentist to get the best, safest result from their travel. We have copies of this guide available whenever we exhibit at health or beauty expos, and we recommend it to potential patients who call us to plan their travel.

The new edition has added a considerable number of country-specific resources and information. For those who have already decided on a destination, the country guides such as the Singapore edition are even more detailed. We look forward to a Latin American edition that would highlight the great offerings in Mexico and Central and South America. Because medical travel as an industry is still new, some areas are still not fully developed. As the industry grows, we would like to see Woodman include more material on insurance coverage for medical travel, government licensing and inspection of facilities (both by the U.S. and overseas governments), and efforts to measure the quality of outcomes experienced by medical travelers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! It's about time..., March 29, 2007
With Americans paying punishing prices for healthcare, this easy-to-read guidebook could be a Godsend for many. I hope it lights a path for a new wave of health travelers and gives more people a chance to live longer, healthier lives. Kudos to Mr. Woodman and his research team.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not thorough enough, October 14, 2008
eshopper "L.C." (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
It's got good information but not enough of it. It tries to cover lots of things but I'd really like more in depth guidance. To get one started on your own research....it's excellent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›