Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 6, 2006
This book is wonderful! I've been learning more and more about PCOS, little by little, since being diagnosed with it four years ago. I had problems with PCOS symptoms since I was a teenager, but no doctors knew what PCOS was at that time. We are so lucky to have all of the information on PCOS now, and that doctors are taking women with PCOS symptoms seriously.

This book is extremely informative and helpful! Although I've been gradually learning more about PCOS, there is still a lot that I need to know -- and this book covers just about everything you need to know. I really like how things are explained, so that you can understand what your body is going through and why certain things happen because of PCOS.

Great eating plan, and helpful hints on how to stick to a healthy plan too. The glycemic index is great to have on hand. I've heard a lot of success stories from women who have eaten by this index, and by following plans similar to the eating plan listed in this book.

I wish that more would have been shared about Femara being a lot more successful fertility drug for women with PCOS, who are Clomid resistant. Also, that Metformin isn't a magic pill for everyone...it won't give everyone a regular cycle or help everyone get pregnant. The same goes for Clomid. It would be good to also mention that there are two different forms of Metformin -- the "regular" Metformin, and the Metformin ER (Extended Release). Metformin ER has few to no side effects, unlike the regular Metformin.

If you want to know more about PCOS, and want to take control of your health, definitely buy this book! It is literally a life saver!
on March 26, 2006
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 29 and after reading this book, realize that I have probably have had this since I started puberty! I was diagnosed two months before this book came out and finally received my copy the other day...I never anticipated a book so much. Finally, I have a guide book for this syndrome! Dr. Futterweit is one of the nation's foremost authorities on this condition and has spent his life researching and treating this condition. This book is the ultimate guide to understanding PCOS, getting a correct diagnosis (as symptoms are variable among all women and are sometimes diagnosed incorrectly), eating and exercise habits to help reverse the condition, as well as strategies for alleviating many other horrible symptoms like excess facial hair, acne, thinning scalp hair, etc. As I devoured this book I found myself saying over and over, "wow, this is my life". The book is written in such a great tone. While some of the 'understanding PCOS' parts are very medical, it's not so filled with medical jargon that you won't understand it. It is evident that Dr. Futterweit truly cares about women with this condition and wants to educate us and give us hope! If you are like me, I am only discovering the full fledged condition as a result of going off the pill in hopes of getting pregnant. There are parts of this book dedicated to Getting Pregnant, Staying Pregnant (PCOS sufferers have increased chances of miscarriage), gestational diabetes, etc.

I feel this book has given me a wealth of information, some of which I intend to share with my primary care physician and ob gyn. I also found that a great compliment to this book in terms of dietary guidelines is Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller's The New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS. I had no idea that due to this condition I have a form of insulin resistance and I've battled weight all my life. It turns out the usual low fat diets that tend to be higher carbohydrate are one of the worst ways that PCOS sufferers can handle their diet. I've already found much success with a low glycemic index diet in just 6 weeks and am startled at how much my overall quality of life has improved with Dr. Futterweit's strategies which are well defined in this book. If you are recently diagnosed or have had this condition for years without much success at battling the symptoms, this book is for you. I can confidently say that I'm on the road to battling this syndrome with education and a newfound lifestyle.
33 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2007
I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS and I found this book helpful, but nothing new really after the information I got from my obgyn (I guess I'm lucky like that). What I found really useful and extremely helpful in this book were the different options for treatment. What I was frustrated with was the diet plan. I understand that it's not made for everyone, but the fact he recommends eating 1,100 calories a day seems alarming to me, since fitness experts today never advide going under 1,200. Overall, a worthwhile read despite the disappointing diet plan.
on November 12, 2007
I've read most anything I can get my hands on about PCOS for the last 5-6 years. While this was an informative book, it wasn't anything new to me. If you're newly diagnosed and looking for some information, this is probably a good book for you. But if you are already fairly knowledgable about PCOS, I'd skip it.
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2009
Before anything else, I wish to state that I am a male, and the whole purpose in reading this book has nothing to do with my body, but with that of my soon-to-be-wife. She discovered she had PCOS about a couple years ago now, so, since then, we've been in constant research of it.
This book was high on the list on Amazon.com, so I thought I'd check it out.

Now, you must understand that reading any medical literature can ofttimes be tedious for anyone not under constant study of the writing style, so I admit that, at times, I was bored. But I vowed to trudge on.
Knowing so little about PCOS before, I have gained so much knowledge about the subject, perhaps even more than my other half--maybe. I recommend this book to just about anyone dealing with PCOS, whether yourself or someone else. Yes, the book can get a bit dry at times, especially when it gets down to specifics about dieting plans and other such routines (at least for me), but it provides good, solid information for just about every field: dieting, exercising, emotional balancing, fertility treatment, hair reduction, and so on and so forth.
Though it may not cover all of these in great detail, it does cover a decent amount in some, whilst providing good starting points for others.

All in all, it's a great book on PCOS, as I have already mentioned. It taught me a lot about my other half, and why she can be moody at times (hopefully she isn't reading this). The author and his team are experts in the field; however, one of the only gripes I have is that there are grammatical and syntactical errors abound. It may be a minor issue for some, but as a graduate in English, these sorts of things make my eye twitch. No doubt it isn't the fault of the author, but more so of the publisher.
But don't let that deter you.

I am confident that we'll be able to have children by following some of the concepts introduced to me in this book, and, of course, through prayer.
on February 15, 2007
After several painful years of misdiagnosis in my teens and a correct diagnosis of PCOS by an excellent doctor in the early 90's, I recently went looking for a book about PCOS to get up to date on what information has been discovered over the last 15 years. This book was exactly what I was looking for - impeccably researched and written in language that makes the information both easy to understand and easy to act upon.

The authors approach the subject with an objective viewpoint, and not only discuss issues related to PCOS (insulin resistance, fertility issues) but tackle the broader topic of how to live successfully with this condition. The tone is hopeful and practical, and I only wish that this had been written 18 years ago when I started my journey. I have already given this book to friends of mine with PCOS and they share my viewpoint - this is essential reading for women with PCOS.
on November 6, 2013
I found this book to be very resourceful. After reading, I learned a lot about the underlying causes of PCOS and how to make sure that you really have the condition that I had not learned from my previous online research. I was impressed by the details that were given as well. However, as a woman that does not fit the traditional description of a woman with PCOS (I am 105 pounds and petite), this book did not seem to fit my needs. I found that the book consistently offered treatment options for overweight women with PCOS. Again and again, the author said to lose weight to lessen the symptoms. This advice does not help me as I am not looking to lose any weight. That being said, I would definitely recommend this book to a woman that has PCOS with weight concerns and insulin resistance. On the other hand, if you are on the leaner side- I would skip up this one.
on March 24, 2006
As a PCOS patient, this is just the kind of book I have been hoping would be published. Dr. Futterweit is one of the top PCOS doctors in the country, perhaps the world, and his book is well written and thorough. He manages to explore the complexity of PCOS while writing clearly and simply enough to keep the subject matter interesting and intelligible. He covers a lot of ground and gives good, practical recommendations and suggestions for patients.

It's very clear from the way this book is written that Dr. Futterweit deeply cares about his patients. I had the pleasure to hear him speak at a PCOS conference several years ago, and I am grateful for his dedication to this lesser known but very significant health problem.

I highly recommend the book, it's a great source of information and it will help you understand and treat PCOS.

Congratulations Dr. Futterweit, and thank you.
on May 26, 2015
I found it very helpful to read after being diagnosed with PCOS - especially when I wasn't reacting to Clomid (monitored cycles through my doctor). I am now happy to announce that I am 19 weeks pregnant :) I completely credit Vitex for that too (separate Amazon review). I felt more empowered by reading this book... before, I was relying on my doctor for all knowledge, and trying to compare myself to random people's personal stories on chat forums online. This was a much better way to understand what was up with my body. It was easy to understand for me too
on November 15, 2009
I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teen, but no doctor ever offered me an alternative to taking the pill (and that was after asking several doctors). After a bit more research, discovering that the doctors were misinforming me left me discouraged and frustrated. What was I supposed to do?

Then, I found this book. After reading it and following the diet and exercise plan, I can tell a tremendous difference! My energy is restored, and I am able to lose weight now (something that was difficult before changing my diet). Also, Dr. Futterweit tells what types of tests each woman with symptoms of pcos should have. It's such a relief to be educated on this matter from a man who specializes in this hormonal imbalance, and not to be given the run around about pharmaceuticals.