Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation STEM

on August 22, 2012
Physically, I like the capless style of the drive and that it has a slightly rubberized feel to it.

It has been hard to find some speeds for this drive so I wanted to provide feedback for people looking for a fast USB 3.0 drive with a great value. These tests are with the drive formatted NTFS, but I provided Crystal results below for FAT32 as well. The test machine is a quad core i7 with 16GB of RAM and a Crucial M4 512GB SSD as the system disk.

I am getting 168MB/s read and almost 47MB/s write speeds on large files > 1GB which match with what Crystal Disk Mark is reporting.

Crystal Disk Mark 3.0.1 x64 Win7 formatted NTFS:

seq 168.2 46.87
512 100.5 0.896
4k 5.836 0.032
4kq 6.170 0.039

I haven't had any problems with the drive in any way, but only used it between two different systems.
1111 comments|179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am constantly using USB drives to carry files and move them around between different computers and servers. I build a lot of computers and I use the USB drives to carry BIOS systems, drivers, firmware and utilities. In order to test this USB drive I used a USB 3.0 port on a powerful computer using an ASUS Sabertooth X79 mother board and an INTEL 3930K CPU overclocked to 4.4 GHz with 32 gig of RAM.

I took the memory stick out of the package and I transferred 55.4 GIG on files to the stick that averaged 660 MB per file. The files were transferred to the memory stick in 20 minutes and 24 seconds at an average speed of 45.2 MB/second. The stick is rated at 50 MB/s writing speed so this was a good result

I then wrote the same files to a SATA III hard drive and using 2% of the computer's CPU capacity. It took 9 minutes and 10 seconds to read the data and write it to the SATA III drive at an average speed of 100.1 MB/s.

I then read the USB drive and wrote 20.1 GB of files to a SSD SATA III drive and the average speed was 112 MB/s. This memory stick performed very well under these tests also. The stick is rated at read speed of up to 180 MB/s and the max I saw was 137 MB/s which is a respectable result.

I liked the fact that the drive has a retractable USB cover and it is nice to protect the USB plug from damage. The rubberized coating also makes it easy to hold onto.

I rate this product as a five star for its memory size, speed and overall performance and construction. It is a good tool to have around to help transfer files between systems. This memory stick does come with a 5 year warranty. I recommend it to you!

I was provided a sample unit for test and evaluation and I promised to give a fair and honest review.
99 comments|158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Be sure to check the various sizes, as the larger drives sometimes are only a few dollars more (sometimes the smaller drive costs more the larger drives too so be careful). In recommend getting the biggest drive you can afford as sometime you may/will need it.

If you're a Mac user setting up or erasing this flash/thumb drive up with your computer is super easy follow these steps.

1. Plug in the the drive
2. Open up disk utility found in your applications folder inside the utilities folder
3. Next select the newly plugged in a thumb drive and on the right-hand side you should see partition click on that.
4. Then inside that screen on the partition layout drop-down choose how many partitions you'd like to set up. I generally go with one partition and just use folders to organize my files.
5. Then on the right-hand side you can name the partitions and select the format. If you are transferring video files I highly recommend you choose Mac OS Extended as it can handle files over 4 GB. Sometimes it's good to make two partitions and one using "MS-DOS fat" if you might be transferring files to and from a Windows machine. The reason is Windows machines and Macs can read and write to the "MS-DOS fat" format but your files will need to be under 4 GB each as that's the maximum file size it can handle.
6. Then click apply and your Mac will create all the partitions you wanted and you're good to go.

Thanks for reading [...].
22 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2012
'
There are faster USB 3.0 flash drives out there, but not at this price. I am using this with USB 3.0
ports built into my motherboard.

I copied about 3 gigs of large files to this drive, and the write speed was 44 megabytes/sec. Very nice,
and close to the rated speed.

Next, I turned off my PC so there would be no files sitting in a cache or buffer.

After turning my PC back on, I copied the same 3 gigs of files from this Patriot drive to the SSD drive
in my PC, and the transfer rate was an eye-popping 160 megabytes/sec. Awesome!

My old USB 2.0 flash drive could write at about 15 MB/sec, so this is a nice upgrade.

I like that Patriot quotes the true performance of this drive. Sandisk, for example, does not
quote the write speed of their USB 3.0 flash drive, they only mention 'up to 190 MB/sec transfer rate':

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive SDCZ80-032G-AFFP

I went to the Sandisk website, but write speed numbers are not listed there either.
on October 21, 2014
Very disappointing. Works for about 30 minutes and then goes into write protect mode. Proprietary speed increase feature supposedly causes this problem which is well document online. Wish I'd have seen the problems before I purchased. Garbage! Sorry, Patriot, you'll get no more of my money for your products.
on March 27, 2014
Worked perfectly for just over one month (past the return date). Used only for music in my car. One day I started me car and the music info said "incompatible USB" "USB must be formatted." Plugged into my computer and got the same message. Tried to format and got the message that it was "write protected." Can't do anything with it.
on December 18, 2012
Own over 50 flash drives and have found that Patriot makes the best. This one really flies in a USB 3.0 port, but is still very good in speed with a 2.0 port. It's well protected in case of drops. And BTW I have found out on more then one occassion that most flash drives will survive a clothes washer cycle if you give it a couple of days in a zip lock bag of rice. Wife refuses to take any blame for this.....guess it's my job to make sure my pockets are empty !!!
on October 16, 2013
I bought this flash drive, and while it worked, it was pretty fast. Then one day, I wasns't able to save anything to the device. I kept getting an I/O error. I tried to format, and that failed. I tried Patriot's low level format fix and that failed. I RMA'd it to Patriot, and waited 3 weeks before I got my replacement. Upon getting my replacement, I plugged it in and tried copying some files. I got an I/O error. I tried to format it, and got an error that the format was unable to be completed.

If you want to save important files on a USB, look elsewhere as two times so far this drive has been unreliable.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2014
Had about 6 weeks and it failed as I attempted to transfer some needed data.
Have Super Talent Pico-Cs on same keyring for 2 years and work every time.
Doesn't make any difference how good the stats look if it doesn't work.

Put your money somewhere else.

MZH
on August 11, 2014
It is probably the worst usb drive that I've ever used. I have various brands of usb drives and this is the only one that disconnects without me doing a thing. It doesn't seem sturdy and I am afraid that I will lose the info I have stored on it so I've transferred my files to a different usb drive and do not use this one.