Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Halloween

on August 17, 2010
The Patriot XT flash drives are the best for speed and reliability. I move tons of data (documents, graphics and photos) to my flash drives, and after I make changes to some of the data, I copy to the flash drive again (replace existing folder), several times a day moving multiple gigs of data (obviously hard on the drive, but I don't know a better way to save my work. And, really I care much more about saving work that I put thousands of hours into, than I care about a flash drive. I can always buy a new drive, but I can't get my work (data) back if it is lost.

I know that my use is hard on the drives and I have killed many flash. So, to be careful, I back up onto several flash drives, plus a Maxtor External hard drive. I have tried many different brands and Patriot XT drives (XT Boost and XT Rage) are by far the best. Remember, I have killed many flash drives, but I have never had any problems with any Patriot drives. Also, I have never had a problem with any PNY drives.

But the Patriot XT drives are MUCH FASTER, so I am gradually switching to only Patriot drives.

The other fact you should know about speed is that the smaller drives are faster, I just tested a Patriot XT Boost 4GB, Patriot XT Boost 8GB, Patriot XT Boost 16GB, Patriot XT Rage 16 GB along with a PNY 8GB and a PNY 16 GB by moving 3GB (one folder containing thousands of documents) of data onto each drive. The Patriot drives are all much faster than the PNY drives, and the Patriot XT Rage is faster than the Patriot XT Boost, but within each brand the smaller drive consistently beat the larger ones in speed. So save your money and buy the smallest drive that will meet your needs. When you grow out of the drive, there will be new ones on the market that will be better and less expensive.

Bottom line: I am buying more Patriot XT Rage flash drives.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2010
Construction seems fairly good. I can't comment on the little keyring hole as the other reviewer did. I don't find those holes large enough on most drives to actually use on a normal keyring.

The drive is fast though, and performs at the peak of usb 2.0 drives, and that's one measure that is important to USB sticks in everyday use if you're copying around large enough files to justify having a 16GB drive.

Sequential file test, using test size of 2GB, 4MB at a time, within a 14.5GB test file.

Iteration 1: writing...11.8MB/sec, reading...35.4MB/sec
Iteration 2: writing...11.9MB/sec, reading...36.7MB/sec
Iteration 3: writing...12.0MB/sec, reading...36.8MB/sec
Iteration 4: writing...12.0MB/sec, reading...36.7MB/sec
Iteration 5: writing...11.8MB/sec, reading...36.7MB/sec
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2011
First, this drive is very fast and performs great. If I was just rating it on the electronics it would easily get 5 stars, since it is the best performance for its price. However, the device itself has what I think is a major design flaw. The slide that goes over the USB plug becomes far too loose after one day of use. It came rather loose out of the box, but now there is no resistance when opening it and there is absolutely no click to lock it in place in either the open or closed position, and it has only been a few days. If you put it in your pocket, it is pretty much guaranteed to open, and it will even slide open when you wear it on a lanyard. I don't think the USB plug is in any danger of breaking off, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a protector on it, and it pokes you all day. For me, that is a deal breaker, and I am willing to settle with a slightly slower drive from another maker to avoid this.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2010
I rarely bother writing reviews, but this lil' gadget is such an exceptional value it's well worth spreading the good news.

The retractable connector and the smart choice of housing plastic that gives it an uncommonly good grip are noteworthy, but the quad-channel transfer technology is nothing short of amazing.

This thing has read and even write speeds that are so much better than any other USB flash drive I've used that it's almost like using a hard drive.

Patriot Memory came through big time with this latest addition to their family. I'll be buying more as Christmas presents later this year. I've never seen anything like it, and the price is really quite good for the superior performance it offers.
on October 20, 2010
The material on these drives has a mildly rubberized feel to it. There is a small red LED that blinks when the drive is being accessed.

I bought two of the 16GB models for two different uses and I'm really pleased after over a month of use now:

1. Xbox360 memory unit.
2. Flash drive to use between my Work (Win XP), Home (Windows 7) and Mac Pro systems. Also for occasional console use.

Computer to Computer Use:
Both perform just fine. I'm coming from having one Kingston 2GB DataTraveler that I bought from another online retailer about four years ago, so this is a big jump for me. Formatting the drive as FAT32, I'm able to transfer files between my Windows and Mac systems without any problems. And the transfer rates for images, MP3s and so on are acceptable. I haven't really run diagnostic software on these drives, but I'm more than pleased with their performance.

Xbox360 Use:
I used the propietary Memory Units for the Xbox360 even after the Dashboard software supported USB devices such as external hard drives or flash memory drives. Since the Dashboard update will allow me to partition up to 16gb for the Xbox360 game/save data, I have one of these Xporter XT Rage drives constantly attached to my Xbox360 slim. NOTE: that two of these will NOT fit side by side if you are using both USB *front* ports of an Xbox360 Slim console.Also, the Xporter XT will not fully insert into any rear USB ports on an Xbox360 slim either due to the deeper recess of the ports on the console.

These console issues are NOT Patriot's fault at all, but I'm just noting it for anyone who plans to use more than one flash drive in their 360 consoles.

For the pre "slim" consoles, this fits fine into the front port also. I have my gamer profile on this flash drive, so I'll bring it with me if I'm gaming at another friend's house and want to sign-in with my profile.

PS3 Use:
Fits fine into any front USB slot on my PS3 80gb console. I've streamed video files too from the drive without incident, even 720p and 1080p video content.

I don't attach the drives to lanyards or anything. I generally use it, then retract it when not in use and store it in a backpack or at home. Generally dust free environments.

Compact and delivers in speed for me. Highly recommended.

As with any flash drive I have, I tend to backup the data on it to a hard drive on my desktop PC. People should always do this as a cautionary measure - what's a little time spent to ensure that your data is safe in case you lose the Flash Drive or it dies? Backup your data - I end up hearing horror stories all the time because friends and family don't see the need. Do it! :)
on August 3, 2011
Prior to purchasing the XT Rage, I owned three USB 2.0 Sticks. The USB 2.0 sticks are by HP and Corsair (8GB and 1GB/8GB). I was not happy with the performance of the HP stick, and my Corsair was just too small for my needs so I figured I'd give the XT Rage a shot. I was skeptical about the 25MB/s WRITE speed but boy did Patriot prove me wrong!

-- I purchased a Patriot Xporter XT Rage 8GB stick --

** DESIGN **
First off the design of the Flash Drive is GOOD quality in my book. Unlike the Corsair Voyager(which is EXCELLENT quality), this casing feels a little cheaper; made of a plastic shell stuck together. Despite being a bit cheaper than other brands, it indeed is "drop proof" and has survived a few drops I've done with it, even tossing it down a staircase. Spill proof I did not test due to the design of the case(See below).

This is the first USB stick I've owned that doesn't require a cap. The stick itself is only 2 inches long, and has a retractable head that protects the connector portion. This is a fantastic design as no more lost caps! It is sleek and when closed doesn't randomly open up when in your pocket. When retracted the cover snaps against the back and will not randomly try to close back up. It is a spectacular design that many companies should emulate, except I have just one small gripe. *** The reason I did not do a spill test is because, while the casing itself is VERY solid there is no actual "cover" for the connector head. A few customer images already show that the front of the stick is flush to the casing but left "exposed". Without even doing the test, This is a FAILURE in my book. The inside of the connector is exposed to liquid during a spill, so be very careful with the stick around liquids.

Some say that this does not have an Activity light. This is not true, as the light does have an LED activity light. Patriot chose to use a RED LED instead of the standard Blue. The activity light location however is subject to bafflement. It seems as if the cap-free sleek design had some flaws. Mainly the connector head mouth being exposed and the LED activity light being located INSIDE the key-chain hole. That's right! The light is inside the key-chain hole. They use a low intensity red LED so even in a pitch black room the LED is not very visible (but it is there).

The Key-Chain hole itself is very durable. In fact feels more durable than the corsair voyager one. In testing the key-chain hole held up exceptionally well but has one major downside. Using the key-chain hole will block the LED light. Meaning if you have this on a string, you barely will see the LED light (if you could at all). So once again we have a great design with a flaw in it.

Now for the MEAT of the review. Performance. What makes this USB flash stick better than the others? For testing I decided to real world benchmark vs using a benchmark tool, after all people want to see real world use not some program using random data. I tested my HP 8GB stick, my Corsair 1GB and the Patriot 8GB Rage XT; WRITE SPEEDS ONLY -- Please note that the larger the stick, the slower it becomes when writing. A 1GB stick should be faster than an 8GB stick using the same controller --

** WRITE PERFORMANCE ** (All sticks formatted as FAT 32, 32kb file allocation; tested on Windows Vista 64bit).. Minimum - Maximum speed... Sustained WRITE speed in []

VERY LARGE Single File (780 MB)
HP(8GB): 2.5 - 5.8 MB/s [4.7]
Corsair: 2.8 - 6.1 MB/s [5.6]
Corsair(8GB): 7.1 - 12.3 MB/s [9.4]
XT Rage: 8.8 - 16.1 MB/s [14.7]

LARGE Single File(170 MB)
HP(8GB): 3.1 - 5.3 MB/s [4.1]
Corsair: 5.7 - 8.3 MB/s [6.4]
Corsair(8GB): 6.4 - 13.1 MB/s [8.5]
XT Rage: 14.5 - 25.3 MB/s [17.1]

MEDIUM Single File (60 MB)
HP(8GB): 4.0 - 6.0 MB/s [5.7]
Corsair: 4.9 - 6.4 MB/s [5.4]
Corsair(8GB): 5.4 - 7.6 MB/s [6.1]
XT Rage: 9.0 - 12.1 MB/s [10.5]

SMALL Single File (5 MB; slow speeds are related to the caching of the file. Small files transfer virtually instantly on all drives)
HP(8GB): 1.0 - 2.7 MB/s [1.17]
Corsair: 1.1 - 2.5 MB/s [1.85]
Corsair(8GB): 1.4 - 3.9 MB/s [2.7]
XT Rage: 1.8 - 3.5 MB/s [2.4]

VERY LARGE Multi-File Transfer ( 8 Files, 690 MB total)
HP(8GB): 1.2 - 4.2 MB/s [2.6]
Corsair: 1.7 - 4.5 MB/s [3.1]
Corsair(8GB): 3.1 - 6.7 MB/s [5.9]
XT Rage: 4.8 - 10.7 MB/s [7.2]

LARGE Multi-File Transfer ( 650 files, 220 MB total)
HP(8GB): 0.8 - 1.7 MB/s [1.1]
Corsair: 1.3 - 3.4 MB/s [1.85]
Corsair(8GB): 1.5 - 3.9 MB/s [2.4]
XT Rage: 1.2 - 3.7 MB/s [2.25]

MEDIUM Multi-File Transfer ( 200 Files, 40 MB total)
HP(8GB): 1.1 - 2.0 MB/s [1.3]
Corsair: 1.7 - 2.3 MB/s [1.7]
Corsair(8GB): 1.8 - 3.4 MB/s [2.1]
XT Rage: 1.9 - 4.1 MB/s [2.8]

** As you can see, in almost every test the XT RAGE either obliterated competition, or was able to keep pace with it. This is because the XT Rage has a Quad Channel design for Read/Write tasks allowing it to process the data much faster than a normal USB stick. As you can see when it came to large files, the XT Rage absolutely devoured them, even hitting over 25MB/s which was the advertised speed. If you notice, as the # of files go up and the file size gets smaller the speed of the drive starts to really slow down. This is because so many small files are passing through rather than one large file that gets cached as it goes. The important factor is just how much faster the XT Rage is when it comes to very large file sizes. The Quad Channel performance gets to flex its muscles and it shows.

I highly recommend this USB stick. It can achieve close to the 25MB/s advertised rate with every day performance, and moves large files incredibly fast. This is the perfect stick for someone who needs to move very large files 500MB or larger. It boasts 8GB - 64GB in size and has a very solid design to it that makes the stick easy to transport. With a cap-free design there is no more risk of losing the cap and exposing the Connector Head to damage, however the device is not spill proof(unlike others). A poorly placed activity light also hurts its appeal but do not hurt it enough to compromise the rating of this drive.

This easily is the fastest USB 2.0 drive I have owned. It is quality and has held up exceptional well during testing like a good quality product should. Easily able to leave other USB 2.0 sticks in the dust for large file sizes; and outperforming a competitive 8 GB stick in bulk small file transfers, this stick has both Outstanding Performance while maintaining a very fair asking price. 5 stars!!

** NOTE: This stick has a 5 year warranty
** NOTE: This stick also supports Ready Boost
on February 16, 2011
So, I picked up this drive because everything I could find online suggested it was one of the fastest available. The first I did after getting it out of the box was running it through XBench to get some hard stats. Sequential write at 26 MBps, sequential reads at 35 MBps. For a USB 2.0 flash drive, that's amazing. That's on a 16 GB model, by the way. Smaller capacities will have faster transfer speeds, while higher capacities will be slightly slower.

Now, the drive performance is great, but there's a few issues with the external design. First, the drive "closes" by sliding part of the body to cover the connector. There's no lock or anything, and while it takes a relatively strong push to expose the connector, it's still possible to "open" the drive when bouncing around in pants pockets or such. Also, there's a small hole at the top of the drive that looks like it's for putting a key chain through, but oddly it's too small and the drive is too thick to allow it to actually be on a key chain and be able to freely move around. The hole is also too small to fit a chain or something larger in diameter than piece of string through. Long and short, it's either going in a pocket or a bag, rather than on a keychain or necklace.

Another issue is the width of the drive. I'm not sure whether the placement of the USB ports on my MacBook Pro are just too close or what because I seem to have this problem alot, but basically, if I have this drive plugged in, then the other USB port is for all intents and purposes, dead. Just keep in mind that unless you happen to have a fair amount of space between the USB ports on your computer, this drive is likely going to partially obscure one.

Nevertheless, I think the this is a really great drive. While I have some issues with its form factor, the build quality seems really good and the performance is great. I guess the minor issues are worth it in the end.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is my umpteenth purchase in the Patriot line, and it appears they're continuing to lead the pack in excellence. The body isn't as thickly rubberized as previous XPorters. The rubber cap has been replaced with a slide-in, slide-out body that slips over the USB plug when it's not in use. I'm not sure if that means the XT Rage can still hold up to an accidental trip through the washer, but if Patriot really are still this enthusiastic about their USB flash drives, I'm betting we'll see some testimonials to this effect.

Still, this review isn't about how the Patriot looks: how does it perform?

I bought two Patriot XPorter XT Rage 32 drives. One is for a high-performance gaming machine and is dedicated to ReadyBoost. This desktop has 12GB of RAM, and the moment I let Windows 7 Professional tag it, it suggested we use--well, all of it--for Readyboost. ExFAT is not as universally compatible, but you'll find better performance, and Windows Vista and 7 will be perfectly happy with it. Formatted in ExFAT to the default allocation size in Windows 7, the Rage 32 gives you about 30.1GB, and ReadyBoost eagerly reached for 29.9 of that. I'd love to be able to tell you I immediately saw a performance improvement, but at this time, the machine I use for gaming is so absurdly high-spec'ed that I really didn't see an improvement--ReadyBoost technology is really only designed for laptops that are limited as to how much RAM can be in them.

So that's when I put the other Rage through its paces. I'm still only on USB 2.0, and with the default allocation size, it tended to copy a bit faster than my 8GB XPorter formatted in the same way. The biggest difference I noticed was in its responsiveness, though: attaching the unit gets a blink-and-you-miss-it responsiveness, making it instantly ready for you to work with. "Opening" the unit in Windows Explorer is also extremely fast. I tried it out with my car stereo to see if it speeds up file indexing and search time, but unfortunately the unit can't read anything larger than 8GB. In the meantime, though, I tried it for ReadyBoost on another machine. This one *is* a laptop. It's got 8GB of RAM, and with dual 8700Ms in SLi, you can imagine I use it for gaming, too.

Naturally, Win 7 Ultimate on the laptop also suggested we gobble up all the space and give it over. This time though, I did notice some happy moments: Normally when I first log into City of Heroes, I have the graphics cranked so high that the first minute or two gives me a jerky framerate, some stuttering, and the ability to see objects get painted with their final texture passes. I'd assumed that was my hard drive chattering to catch up with all that cached graphics information, and it turns out I was right: CoH settles down within a few seconds now while I see the Rage's red LED blinking like mad.

If you want fast, huge, and flexible, you really can't go wrong with the Patriot XPorter XT Rage. They take their read-write speeds very seriously and it shows. If you're using this for performance alone, such as ReadyBoost, you will find the fastest read-write speeds when the Rage is formatted as ExFAT.

Desktop Specs: Intel Core i7 980 eXtreme, 12GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM (@3x4GB), dual nVidia GTX 480 in SLi, 2xWD Caviar Black in RAID 0 (7200RPM, 64MB cache, 6.0Gbps)
Laptop Specs: Intel Q6600 quad-core processor, 8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM (@2x4GB), dual nVidia 8700M in SLi, 2xHitachi Deskstars in RAID 0 (7200RPM, 32MB cache 3.0Gbps)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2010
I just got my 32GB Rage in the mail yesterday morning, so of course I immediately started running benchmarks and testing it out. While I was initially disappointed, further testing has helped to set aside my fears. Let me explain.

I work in a computer lab doing testing all day. As such, this means that I am going to be moving my files from one computer to another pretty darn often. That is why I was willing to spend a little extra to get a flash drive that had some speed behind it. Since Patriot has always worked for me, I decided to go with their Rage drive. I also like the fact that it uses a sliding capless design. Our computer lab has USB drives all over the place without caps, and I didn't want that. The slider feels pretty solid at this point, although I can't say how it will be after a year of sliding it ten times a day. However, as a whole, the drive feels pretty well built. I definitely wouldn't abuse it heavily, but since mine won't leave the lab I am confident in its build quality.

Now, to the speed of the drive. At first, I was pretty worried. I ran flash memory toolkit on the drive, and the results were a little worrisome. In one test, it uses files that are 1,2,3,4,5,10 and 15 MB in size. In Flash Memory Toolkit, I couldn't get the drive above 25MB/sec read and 8.5MB/sec write. I started to get worried. After that, I read in patriots forums that they suggested that someone use ATTO to benchmark. After running ATTO my fears quieted down a lot. The files it tested with that were 128 KB and above all returned reads that were around 30MB/sec read and greater than 20MB/sec write. I was never able to hit the 25MB/sec write that the manufacturer cites, but I would imagine that they got those numbers on a system that is faster than the one I was testing on.

However, real world is what we are all buying it for. The installer programs that I was transferring to the drive were about 100 MB each, and each one transfered to the drive in about 4-6 seconds. That is from the time that the transfer window appeared on my second to the time it disappeared.

So, these are my final thoughts. Yes, I wish that I was able to hit or surpass the 25MB/sec write time that the manufacturer states. However, until I can test on a newer computer (the one I tested on is a 2.8 GHZ Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM) I won't hold it against them. The fact that I was able to get 22MB / sec write and 30+MB / sec read (which is higher than the manufacturer claims) on a computer that is almost 3 years old is just awesome. Thanks Patriot for an awesome product!
on November 23, 2010
I would say that I'm a heavy user of my Patriot 64GB Xporter XT Rage USB stick. I run a remastered Linux Mint (live with persistence) off of it about 4 - 8 hours per day 7 days per week on an assortment of 10 machines both at my office and home.

While this stick is probably not designed for this kind of abuse, it still performs very, very well. The only distraction I've noticed is that I usually let a newly booted session settle for a few moments because the high I/O contention during startup sometimes causes new UI processes to block momentarily. But this disappears once the session is fully up.

This is not the fastest stick I've used. My OCZ Turbo clocks in slightly faster, but it's only 8GB. The larger these sticks get, the slower they are. Still, this Patriot has the right balance of concurrency, speed, and reliability for my needs.

I have the typical 2 partitions on the stick, sdb1 = fat32 ro linux image, sdb2 = casper-rw aufs file system for persistence.

At this moment (with lots of processes running) "hdparm -t /dev/sdb2" reports:
Timing buffered disk reads: 70 MB in 2.89 seconds = 24.22 MB/sec

I think it's quite acceptable that this drive can have the contention of my linux desktop running on it and still support throughput like that.

This Patriot is able to boot more machines directly from the USB stick than any other stick I own. Sure, some BIOS's are finicky and I have to use my Plop CD to boot into the stick. But for the most part it's very compatible.

It protrudes just 1.5 inches from the port (shorter than most), and it has a built-in sliding enclosure that protects the connection tongue. The tiny activity light is barely visible which is not nearly as distracting as those annoying orange flashing "beacons" on other sticks.