Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PatternReview.com 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts and Tips: Top-Rated Favorites from Sewing Fans and Master Teachers
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on September 29, 2010
This looks like just another book with sewing ideas in it- and essentially it is, BUT these are written by real sewists (men and women) who have nothing to gain by selling you any product. Most of the tips are tried and true problem solvers that work for the average home seamstress. You'll find uses for kitchen products in your sewing room that you'd never have thought of on your own!

I skimmed the book first and now I'm digesting and marking it page by page. After 50 years of sewing you'd think I'd know most everything- but I definitely found many helpful hints in this book. This will make a great gift for anyone who loves to sew whether young or old, or beginner or experienced.
on September 8, 2010
This book compiles sewing tips listed on [...]. As a member of Pattern Review it is great fun to see the excellent tips in print. There are also master classes on sewing knits by Sarah Veblen, sewing fine lace by Susan Khalje, sewing lame by Kenneth King, embroidery beading by Anna Mazur and serger rolled hems by the wonderful and greatly missed Shannon Gifford. The book is arranged by subject matter and includes sewing gear, sewing room, pattern prep, fabric and notions, cutting out patterns, fitting, sewing, although tips for sewing, finishing and embellishments. The book also includes a bit on the history of Pattern Review. This is a valuable resource to have on hand for when you run into sewing challenges. Tips on sewing with a serger are limited. In addition,the print of the index is pretty tiny, but other than that the book is very readable.
on October 2, 2010
This book is beyond loaded with wonderful, clever, time and money saving approaches, and all ways to make whatever you sew turn out well. So much frustration reduced. I found it so surprising, I kept reading and reading, and reading. I have read all 1,000 items.

The best part is because of the easy organization and numbering and many diagrams where needed, it will be easy and fast to find the tip(s) for the item on which I happen to be working at the time.

This is some of the best book money I've spent in a long time. Thanks, Deepika and many others.
on December 23, 2011
I really got this book for my girlfriend who has been sewing for years. Unfortunately, we found that most of the tips were fluff. This is NOT a technique/improve your sewing book. There were very few illustrated examples--even then, most were marginal to useless.

If you have intermediate sewing skills (like my gf) or better, I could not recommend this book. To it's credit, there were many interesting organizational and design suggestions. But it almost felt that the editors were grasping from a huge bucket of tips, and not sifting for the truly useful. Worse, they don't show you how to execute them. Since these tips come from their website, you're better off researching the web on your own and taking the time to find what's useful for your own project.

As a beginner, I was really disappointed with the book. Definitely, there are better ones out there like "Sew Everything Workshop: The Complete Step-by-Step Beginner's Guide with 25 Fabulous Original Designs, Including 10 Patterns" by Diana Rupp.

Deepika and PatternReview.com: please go back to the editing desk and thin out your tips, plus show more step-by-step examples This book is a bit premature.
on January 31, 2011
A few very good sewing tips, but I expected a lot more of them and fewer household hints for sewers. An example: 11 tips for cleaning your sewing machine, including things like "Use scraps of stretch velvet to clean lint from your serger." Or "An insulated soft-side 54-can cooler is the perfect size for transporting a sewing machine." Or "If you're tall, put bricks under the legs of your cutting table to raise it to a better height for cutting." What I was looking for was tricks for SEWING better, and while there are some here, there are so many household hints that the actual sewing tips are hard to find. I'll probably keep this book and highlight the actual sewing tips, but I'd have preferred "567 Clever Sewing Shortcuts and Tips" if that's how many actual shortcuts and tips there were without adding all the household hints as filler to get to the magic number of 1000.
on October 23, 2010
I love books that are filled with clever sewing tips. I'm always looking for better/easier/more professional ways to sew things. I read this one cover-to-cover and found several helpful hints. However, there were also a lot of hints that seemed very obvious and not worth printing! Still, I'm sure I'll refer back to it and incorporate some of the ideas into my sewing in the future.
VINE VOICEon October 19, 2010
Exactly what the title says. This should be included in your sewing library. 5-stars.

XOXO-
on September 28, 2010
I buy a LOT of sewing books, and they are not all great. This book is an exception. This book has wonderful ideas for EVERYONE making/designing clothing, beginner to advanced. Some of the info is new, and some of it is good tried-and-true information that used to be passed on through the generations, but (unfortunately) no longer is. This book will have a permanent place in my library and I believe that anyone who has this book will be able to sew more professionally and obtain the style in the details, which is one of the reasons we sew! I highly recommend this book!
on July 15, 2012
This book contains many great tips. However, I agree with other reviewers who have mentioned that the book needs a lot more editing.

One problem is that this book contains a lot of redundant tips. For example: Many contributors submitted ideas for using whatever comes to hand to start seams on thin, fiddly materials to prevent them from being drawn down into the feed dogs (and creating a divot at the end of your seam.) I would have preferred all of these tips to be combined into one, just listing the variety of materials that can be used in the process... and listing them all in one place.

Another problem is that the book contains many small categories of 5-6 tips each. Whereas, larger sections relating to "knit fabrics," "hemming," "bindings," "presser feet," "serging," etc... would make it much easier to find useful information/ideas when needed. The index isn't rich enough to make up for this failing.

To me, these problems are extensive enough that the book is basically useless unless you take the time to copy your favorite tips and reorganize them in a more meaningful way.

It'd say it's worth a read, but I would suggest buying the kindle edition(so at least you can easily search within the text for keywords relating to whatever problem you're having.) Or, check it out from the library and plan to copy the tips that you expect to use... then, file them in a way that will be useful to you or store them with books on related subjects.
on September 11, 2010
Purchased this book 2 days ago and haven't put it down! Love all the ideas! Definitely a must for your sewing library! I like that I can read a few tips, put it down and pick it back up a little while later as time allows.