5.0 out of 5 stars The rest of the story
Published on September 13, 2011 by John B. Tokarz

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not like the old one.
I too used to own a 20 year old Patton 18" Hi-Velocity and that fan was the best I ever owned. Finally, the switch handle fell off and I thought after 20 years, I would just go a buy the new version as my old one was also getting quite dirty.

Published on April 10, 2012 by MadMike

5.0 out of 5 stars The rest of the story, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
I have owned 4-20 inch Patton fans for many, MANY years and have been completely satisfied with their long trouble free operation. Haven't thrown one out yet! I needed to add an 18 inch fan for a smaller room. After reading the other two reviews, I began to wonder if this was a good decision. Finally I decided what the heck---if it didn't work out I could return the item.
Well it arrived and much to my suprize this one was the SAME GREAT quality product. The fan blades are corosion free aluminum and the cage is painted black (the older unites are chrome that tends to rust over time), the motor is heavy duty steel and copper. The assembly is a smap and cord is 4 feet long. Fan blades are perfectly ballenced
Be forwarned-------these fans move a lot of air and are designed to HEAVY DUTY LONG TERM use. As air moves through the grill, a moderate amount of noise is generated---nothing excessive and impossable to eliminate. They easyly move 3 to 4 times more air than a box fan.
Bottom line--------like senior citizenship----its not for sissies.If you want something quiet and soft go to Wallies world and get a plastic job that will be sticking out of your trash bin next year. Again, their soft, their quiet, no assembly and they are much less expensive.
Beware of cheap imitations at Lowes that look like Patton! Blades vibrate, switches break and they join the plastic jobs above in time. On the bright side, if you ever need extra electrical cords, trash days provide like manna from heaven~!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive and practical, July 22, 2012
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
I purchased the Patton fan from Amazon. The noise of the fan was not an issue for me, its effectiveness was most important. Now the practical side, most all other fans I've owned; the front grill is riveted together making it impossible to remove the grill for cleaning. The Patton has removable screws and makes access a snap. The Patton does what its suppose to do, move air and it does it well. The ability to direction the flow of air is a real nice feature. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this product to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars impressive Patton fan, July 13, 2013
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
Like many reviewers on here, I've owned my fair share of Patton fans since I was a kid. I've always been impressed with their quality, durability, and the (now long gone) 20 year warranty that Patton afforded them.

I've always had a bit of sadness since they went away, but now it appears Sunbeam Products took them over, so I thought I'd give it a shot and buy one at my local retail store.

I must say I'm impressed. The fan moves an impressive amount of air. It's a high velocity fan, so yes, it's going to be somewhat loud, but it's not so loud that you can't bear it. I never understood

The only real cons that I have on this fan:

The blades are flimsy. If something was to get sucked into the fan, the blades are going to look worse than a beer can at a gun range.

The speed control is cheap. Not a big deal, though.

Two prong plug - I would rather have seen a grounded plug for safety purposes (even though the fan is finished with a matte black paint).

I would have liked to have a lock nut on the bolts holding the fan to it's base, just for the fact that as you pivot the head, it's going to need to be tightened. Not a big deal.

I only point these flaws out because anyone who's expecting the "vintage" Patton fan experience - these were details left out.

The pros to this fan are multiple. Most importantly is the TP (thermally protected) motor. This is key, folks, especially if you live in a hot climate like I do (Texas). You would be surprised how quick a non-TP motor will fry in a hot Texas summer. Major points for that. The grill is solid, the motor and electronic parts appear to be well constructed, there are four thick rubber feet on the bottom. The airflow is extremely impressive, and while no data is available on the CFM, I'm willing to guess that it's definitely in the 3000's range. For an 18" fan, it moves a large amount of air. Even on low, it was able to shut a solid oak door all by itself in my house. The grill is held on by 6 clasps, in addition to a small screw and bolt at the bottom, and a hook at the top (to prevent accidental rattling off of the grill?)

Overall, my initial response when opening the box was "wow". If you're looking for a reasonably priced, heavy duty fan that's going to really move the air, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER FAN..., April 30, 2012
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
Literally BLOWS the competition away. This is a mans fan not to be confused with the girly box fan. If you want want to move some air get this bad boy, its a hurricane in a box!

5.0 out of 5 stars compact, powerful, a bit noisy, October 7, 2011
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
Like many others, I will attest that this fan is strong and solid. We chose this primarily because of its large diameter (more airflow) with a smaller footprint. With the pivot you can aim it at just the right angle to hit a target swath of the room, which is really nice.

This thing is definitely loud at the lowest setting, but after one night it just became soothing white noise and I am so happy with our choice. I would totally buy another of these when I need another fan. Only one complaint: the grill came with one screw detached. I found it in the packaging, shattered. Not sure what the heck would do that to a steel screw inside the box. Anyway, it's plenty secure with all the other screws, and I'm sure they'd sent a replacement if I called, but I'm too lazy to stay on hold just for one screw.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not like the old one., April 10, 2012
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)

When I unpacked the new fan, 3 of the screws that hold the back and front metal cage/shroud together were stripped out and on the floor of the box and while I tried to gently screw them back in and also check if the others were tight, found that every one of them, some 8 or so, were stripped. On my old patton fan, there were no screws to hold the front and back cage/shrowed, rather they clipped together mechanically and this new design with way too small screws should be re-thought for even if repaired, would likely just strip out again due to movement alone.

Also to note, the metal itself on this 'cage' is flimsy at best and also came out of the box bent up in many spots. On their old fan, you couldn't bend the metal if you tried. But this does not affect the function of the fan.

In the end, I called Patton, and unlike Honeywell (another story), they were very receptive to my concerns and have arranged for a replacement. We shall see how it goes when it arrives.

I would suggest you buy Patton, but check the fan at the store before you take it home to make sure you didn't get one with factory over-tightened cage screws.

Lastly, for those of you who think these fans are too loud, don't forget they are hi-velocity and not your average home-fan. On low speed these fans, while still making a noise, are very quiet for the amount of air they move, and if its air movement you want, these are the fans to get.

Suggestions to Patton: Use larger screws or nuts/bolts design for the cage. Use slightly thicker quality metal on the cage. Add a slower speed, or make the slowest setting even slower for great and quiet operation.

Madmike
Loyal Patton Client.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fan, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
I bought one of these two weeks ago and liked it so much that I ordered a second one. The air circulation it produces is excellent, even on the low setting. These fans replace a Patton fan that I had inherited from my mother--it was probably 20 years old and was on its last legs. Granted, it's a bit loud, but it produces "white noise" for sleeping, plus it drowns out any outside noises that might make my dogs bark during the night. I know it's going to be a big help in the Arizona summer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Con, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
The value was very good. Very powerful. But entirely too loud. Could not use in our house.
Using it in our garage to circulate air.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this fan!, July 12, 2013
SpaGirl (Newton Corner, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
It has been a pretty hot summer this year and since I do not have air conditioning, I wanted to get some bang for my buck and this fan has more than delivered! I read all the previous reviews and was a bit apprehensive as some reviewers commented on the noise and the assembly. Assembly required opening the box, pulling out the fan, unwrapping the plastic and plugging it in!
The noise? I don't find it noisy at all! I had a cheap box plastic box fan before and that thing was twice as loud. (it would also tip over on the high speed). I do appreciate a bit of white noise while sleeping and this fan on the low setting is perfect, I sleep like a baby! I am a bit worried when our weather cools and I will have to put the fan away for the season. This Patton fan is sturdy, well built and I feel confident it will last me a long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Patton PUF1810A-BM 18?, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM (Misc.)
The Good: Fan works as advertised and moves quite a bit of air.
The Bad: Chinese manufacture grate around blades is much thinner seems lower quality than previous US manufactured Patton fans I own.
Also Fan vibrates shakes slightly