Patton 18-inch High Velocity Fan, PUF1810B-BM
Size Name: 18-InchChange
Price:$49.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 20, 2011
Size Name: 20-InchVerified Purchase
This fan is legit. I had to order two. The first actually came with TWO right legs (you need to assemble the stand) and no left leg. After sorting that out, I received my new fan and it works great. It is FAST, a touch loud (what did you expect?), and vibration-free
Some uses so far:
- Stopping the smoke detector from beeping
- Frugally avoiding the use of air conditioning
- Scaring the cat
- Cooling off the cat
- Making darth vader sounds by speaking behind the fan

I would recommend this fan if you are interested in the aforementioned uses

- Reviewed from my iPad 2
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2011
Size Name: 18-InchVerified Purchase
I have owned 4-20 inch Patton fans for many, MANY years and have been completely satisfied with their long trouble free operation. Haven't thrown one out yet! I needed to add an 18 inch fan for a smaller room. After reading the other two reviews, I began to wonder if this was a good decision. Finally I decided what the heck---if it didn't work out I could return the item.
Well it arrived and much to my suprize this one was the SAME GREAT quality product. The fan blades are corosion free aluminum and the cage is painted black (the older unites are chrome that tends to rust over time), the motor is heavy duty steel and copper. The assembly is a smap and cord is 4 feet long. Fan blades are perfectly ballenced
Be forwarned-------these fans move a lot of air and are designed to HEAVY DUTY LONG TERM use. As air moves through the grill, a moderate amount of noise is generated---nothing excessive and impossable to eliminate. They easyly move 3 to 4 times more air than a box fan.
Bottom line--------like senior citizenship----its not for sissies.If you want something quiet and soft go to Wallies world and get a plastic job that will be sticking out of your trash bin next year. Again, their soft, their quiet, no assembly and they are much less expensive.
Beware of cheap imitations at Lowes that look like Patton! Blades vibrate, switches break and they join the plastic jobs above in time. On the bright side, if you ever need extra electrical cords, trash days provide like manna from heaven~!!!!!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2012
Size Name: 14-InchVerified Purchase
If you ever owned a Patton fan that used to be made in the USA, you are not going to be happy with this fan. I own three older Patton fans (20 inch, 18 inch & 14 inch) which were all made in the 1980s - 1990s in the USA and they are of top quality. So when I decided to buy another 14 inch Patton fan to use in a bedroom I assumed this one would be the same. I was wrong. This new Patton fan which is now made in China is FAR from the quality that these fans used to have. The metal cage is thin and flimsy and the blades are of very poor quality and workmanship. The fan I received actually had a bent blade, but that is not why I returned it. This new Chinese model is just not good quality and therefore not a good value for the price.

I guess this is the way most companies have gone in the last few years. Closed down their American factories and shipped the work off to China. However, I will never understand why the quality has to be so poor. It's just a fan, not a rocket ship. You would think the Chinese model could be made just as good as the old American models with the same parts and technology. But obviously this company has decided to cut all the corners and pass off junk under a company name that used to mean quality.

I just purchased a used Patton fan on ebay for $56(not including shipping) and was glad to pay that price for something that I know will be far better quality. I don't see how this product has so many good reviews; the people obviously never owned anything of "industrial strength" quality before.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 19, 2011
Size Name: 20-InchVerified Purchase
The Patton PUF2010A-BM 20" High Velocity Fan is a very large fan. The cage is well over 20 inches and the overall dimensions when assembled with the base and used in a vertical position are 24 inches wide by 25 inches tall by almost 10 inches deep. The 20 inch model was only a few dollars more than the 18 inch model but the smaller one might have been more appropriate for me, just be prepared for the size. The cord is nominally 5 feet long which is fairly short for household appliances but not uncommon for heavy-duty electrical tools for the workshop where the use of an extension cord is expected. There is a tiny fuse in the plug and an extra one is provided. The motor produces significant heat.

A 10mm hex wrench and a #2 Phillips screwdriver are needed for assembly. Some black powder similar to that in printer toner cartridges fell onto the floor when I started the fan--I assume that it was powder paint or rubber dust from the manufacturing process. It wiped up from the parquet floor easily but stained my fingers but so be careful if there is carpeting where you unbox this fan.

This fan is designed to be left in one position and not adjusted frequently and it doesn't pivot horizontally. It is easier to adjust the vertical tilt if the bolts are loosened with the 10mm hex wrench. The blades are metal.

I use a fan continuously while in my small apartment primarily to produce white noise to cover up the inevitable small disturbances from the hallway, neighboring apartments, and from outside when the window is open and this fan is doing a great job of that. I also use it for air circulation year-round since I don't like air conditioning and the heat is from radiators and it is doing a good job of that, too.

When I first started the fan, it produced a slight metallic rattle which I find very irritating. I adjusted the fan to the vertical position and slightly loosened the small screws holding the cage together and that seems to have fixed the problem. [Sometimes fans will rattle a little when new, anyway.]

This Patton fan replaced an inexpensive box fan from a national home improvement store that only stocks portable fans during the summer. It lasted two full summers and the intervening seasons with near-constant usage so this fan will need to last six years to be of equal value to me although the fans are not really comparable in quality and force. Before the box fan, I had a Cinni fan made in India that lasted about a decade but these are not available in the US at this time. This Patton fan is made in China.

On the lowest setting, it is a little louder than the box fan I had before was on the highest setting. It produces significant airflow. Along with that comes significant vibration but the rubber feet do a good job of insulating and I can't feel the vibration in the parquet-on-concrete slab floor from even a couple of inches away. The rubber feet also seem to be keeping the fan from creeping around on the floor.

I ordered the fan on Monday and received it on Wednesday by UPS which is fast for free super-saver shipping. The seller was Amazon and it was shipped from Pennsylvania to New York. It was packaged only in the manufacturer's carton which arrived opened and damaged but the fan was in good condition.

There is a three-year limited warranty. I called the number and it rang about a dozen times before I was placed in a queue. After about eight minutes, a human answered the phone. For warranty service, they ask questions about what is wrong with the fan and the computer indicates if your product is covered. If it is, they replace the product and if they want the malfunctioning fan returned, they provide a shipping label.

My initial impression of this Patton 20" High Velocity Fan is four stars. For questions, leave a comment and I will respond.

11/5/11 UPDATE: The fan started rattling again and it got progressively worse. The problem was with the wire cage. A small binder clip at the bottom of the cage eliminated the rattle completely.

8/13/12 UPDATE: This fan is still going strong after thousands of hours. I keep it turned on whenever I am at home, usually on low.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2012
Size Name: 18-InchVerified Purchase
I purchased the Patton fan from Amazon. The noise of the fan was not an issue for me, its effectiveness was most important. Now the practical side, most all other fans I've owned; the front grill is riveted together making it impossible to remove the grill for cleaning. The Patton has removable screws and makes access a snap. The Patton does what its suppose to do, move air and it does it well. The ability to direction the flow of air is a real nice feature. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this product to others.
on July 13, 2013
Size Name: 18-Inch
Like many reviewers on here, I've owned my fair share of Patton fans since I was a kid. I've always been impressed with their quality, durability, and the (now long gone) 20 year warranty that Patton afforded them.

I've always had a bit of sadness since they went away, but now it appears Sunbeam Products took them over, so I thought I'd give it a shot and buy one at my local retail store.

I must say I'm impressed. The fan moves an impressive amount of air. It's a high velocity fan, so yes, it's going to be somewhat loud, but it's not so loud that you can't bear it. I never understood

The only real cons that I have on this fan:

The blades are flimsy. If something was to get sucked into the fan, the blades are going to look worse than a beer can at a gun range.

The speed control is cheap. Not a big deal, though.

Two prong plug - I would rather have seen a grounded plug for safety purposes (even though the fan is finished with a matte black paint).

I would have liked to have a lock nut on the bolts holding the fan to it's base, just for the fact that as you pivot the head, it's going to need to be tightened. Not a big deal.

I only point these flaws out because anyone who's expecting the "vintage" Patton fan experience - these were details left out.

The pros to this fan are multiple. Most importantly is the TP (thermally protected) motor. This is key, folks, especially if you live in a hot climate like I do (Texas). You would be surprised how quick a non-TP motor will fry in a hot Texas summer. Major points for that. The grill is solid, the motor and electronic parts appear to be well constructed, there are four thick rubber feet on the bottom. The airflow is extremely impressive, and while no data is available on the CFM, I'm willing to guess that it's definitely in the 3000's range. For an 18" fan, it moves a large amount of air. Even on low, it was able to shut a solid oak door all by itself in my house. The grill is held on by 6 clasps, in addition to a small screw and bolt at the bottom, and a hook at the top (to prevent accidental rattling off of the grill?)

Overall, my initial response when opening the box was "wow". If you're looking for a reasonably priced, heavy duty fan that's going to really move the air, look no further.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2011
Size Name: 20-InchVerified Purchase
i really like the fan, and i really like to buy through Amazon, there is a high ratio of products arriving in good condition using Amazon compared with most online shopping. The fan didnt get 5 stars simply because it is not a high-end piece of equipment and things like the switch and logo emblem on the front of the fan just 'feel' a little flimsy .. no big deal i kind of expected that in this price range, but the motor and fan itself runs solid and acceptably smooth and really puts out the air. I will mention that it does sound like a small airplane and is on the loud side but that doesnt bother me personally. I will likely buy another one of these in the near future. In the past ive really only had experience in the home with the little square box type fans with the mostly plastic construction and this fan beats those in performance probably 5 times over conservatively .. get it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2012
Size Name: 20-InchVerified Purchase
The 20" Patton fan used to be the greatest and would last for years. I ordered a new one and the pitch in the blades has been reduced making the depth of the fan smaller because (guessing) they can fit more of them in the hole of the ship coming from China. Motor must also have been cheapened as the fan has no where near the power of the older 20' Patton Fans.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 30, 2012
Size Name: 18-InchVerified Purchase
Literally BLOWS the competition away. This is a mans fan not to be confused with the girly box fan. If you want want to move some air get this bad boy, its a hurricane in a box!
on August 4, 2011
Size Name: 14-InchVerified Purchase
I was looking for a fan that would push more air around the room then the traditional fans on the stands and this one is it. It is powerful and all metal. Not as powerful as the Patton fans they made years ago but it does push plenty of air. Of course due to the amount of air it pushes it makes noise but at least it does the job it was purchased to do. I use this to push the air conditioned air out of the room to help cool an adjacent room. I am happy with this purchase and the price on Amazon was excellent.I have this fan a month now and see no reason it shouldn't last for many years to come. I would recommend this product.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations