5 out of 5 stars
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$8.99

on January 27, 2009
Format: MP3 Music
To find an album where you enjoy every single track the first time through is like finding a 50 carat yellow diamond in the Sahara desert.

I've been following this artist ever since I stumbled upon his Youtube video when I was searching for Miri Ben Ari and other hip hop violin clips.

Like Paul, I'm a classically trained violinist and have some experience in jazz and improvisation using the violin. And on top of that, I'm also a singer/songwriter. So I was obviously drawn to this artist based on those commonalities.

I like Paul's style/expression of hip hop violin more than Miri Ben Ari's. Hers is more of a playful, coy, flirtatious style that probably delineates her own personality. Paul's style in my opinion, is more substantive with darker tones that give his sound a much more earthy, less ostentatious feel.

His songs are much more original to me as well as they fully use his violin skills (technical, expression, and improvisation) and also his vocal skills. His voice may not be your typical R&B cat (Usher, Ne-Yo, Chris Brown) nor your powerhouse crooner (Boyz II Men, Brian McKnight, Javier), but it is very buttery smooth and he can hold his own. To me, he has the vocal blend of Frankie J and Craig David. It is a perfect match/contrast to his brilliant/sharp playing when he's on the higher registers of the violin and also the deeply resonant and driving rhythms he perpetuates on the lower registers.

This album has something for every listener. You have tracks that are hip hop, r&b, acoustic, rock, jazz, and instrumental.

Favorite tracks: Be More, Untitled #1, Strong

If you live in the SoCal area, be sure to catch him live! I hope to when I'm out there.
Format: MP3 Music
Paul Dateh is an incredible talent who is destined for greatness. This album is beautiful and inspiring. You can feel the artist's passion and love for what he does on every track. His style is versatile and focused and spans across genres seamlessly. I've seen paul perform live and his songs translate to the stage as if he was a pro doing this for twenty years. he's one of those rare talents that you know will just get better with age. Definitely worth the price.
on February 1, 2009
Format: MP3 Music
This album has been long-awaited, but it was well worth it. Paul's violin and voice are rock solid and this album is going to send his career into the stratosphere.

"Be More" is an awesome track, just listen to the preview.
review image review image