5.0 out of 5 stars This man really knows barbecue!
Published on June 22, 2000 by Michael Fletcher

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, not great.
Some good information, but not much new. good for some basics which is how I use it. Ok for the low kindle price.
Published 15 months ago by John Tiller

5.0 out of 5 stars This man really knows barbecue!, June 22, 2000
This review is from: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops and Salsas (Non) (Paperback)
This is by far my favorite barbecue sauce book on my cookbook shelf! Paul Kirk knows barbecue and how to make delicious sauce. I love his Sweet Kansas City Barbecue Sauce recipe. It has a sweet, robust flavor and a nice spicy kick. I have a favorite bottled barbecue sauce that I've bought for years, but this sauce made it seem bland in comparison! I also love his Chicken Rub recipe. I always have a batch of this ready for grilling. It's designed to season poultry, but it's great on beef and pork too! I am eager to try more of the great recipes in this book. He has recipes for rubs, mops, marinades and sauces and explains how and when to use them to create a flavor sensation every time. If you love barbecue like me, this is one book you won't want to be without.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great learning tool to enhance your Barbecue, April 8, 2000
When I purcharsed this book I didn't have great expectations for its contents. However, with the credentials that Paul Kirk has I thought it might be interesting reading. I also expected it to contain 175 recipes with little or no explanation of how or why they work, oh and of course the first three chapters would be on how to start my smoker.
I admit, I was wrong! It starts with the basics and teaches you how to build from there. If you are a mustard lover this is definately a must buy. Every ingredient listed serves a purpose and he tells you why. Paul Kirk may not give you his secret recipe, but he sets you up to make your own. Oh, only the introduction covers the cooking methods so the whole book is dedicated to Barbecue Sauces. My only problem with the book is the pages should be laminated It's already getting stained. I love BBQ and this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for anyone who likes to barbecue!, September 9, 1999
By A Customer
I am always searching for good marinade and rub recipes. Now that I have this book, the search is over. Paul Kirk really shares his secrets on how to best season grilled/barbecued foods. I have used quite a few of these recipes already. My favorites (as well as my guest's) are Bill's beef power rub and Paul's Terriyaki marinade (using the sesame oil). Paul Kirk focuses on teaching you how to make your own marinades/rubs, etc. but offers plenty of good recipes and variations on such.
I highly recommend purchasing this book if you use your grill as much as we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars BBQ Master Class, July 11, 2001
jerry i h (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This glorious paperback is a once-in-a-decade event in the world of cookbooks: somone who genuinely understands his subject clearly and succinctly explains it in a way that is easy for anyone to understand, even complete novices.
Several times, the author uses the term "master class". This term is usually reserved when an acknowledged master of the subject decides to transfer his skills and abilities to others via a special class. At first, I thought that the use of this term was a little overblown. How wrong I was.
He goes through these subjects: ingredients, rubs, marinades, mops, sauces, and other (salsa, relish, ketchup). Each subject is expertly covered, and tells you everything you need to know. He explains the principle and structure of each one, and then gives instructions on how to create it for yourself. Recipes are then presented for those who do not wish to do the experiments on their own. My only complaint is the table of contents: more detail would be a great help.
This book is the only one you really need when it comes to barcecue sauces. If you don't already have it, I suggest you get it and throw away the other barbecue books you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Your Barbecue Book Library, April 13, 2000
"Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces" is a must-have for anyone who's serious about creating great barbecue. The book contains much of the same information that Chef Paul teaches in his Pitmaster BBQ classes all over the U.S. Lots of flavorful recipes for sauces, rubs, and marinades that are easy to make, plus tips on creating your own signature sauce or rub. Your barbecue book library is not complete without this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for Serious Barbecuers, July 25, 2003
If you occasionally throw a slab of ribs on a grill and just need a recipe or two for a marinade or rub, skip this book and buy Ron Lutz's book "Whatcha Need to Know to Barbecue Like a Pro" or just pick up a general-purpose cookbook. If you're into true Barbecue (temperatures below 250 degrees, 5+ hours' cooking time, and barrel smokers, water smokers, and the like) and you like guests to 'Oooh' and 'Aaaah' over your Barbecue prowess; or if you'd like to know enough to make up your own rub, mop, marinade and finishing sauce recipes, definitely buy Paul Kirk's book. He explains how to create your own recipes for each of these categories, then throws in a bunch of standard and exotic recipes to use as a starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, November 26, 2002
JohnC "johnc1035" (palmdale, california United States) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up a couple of years ago for the purpose of having a few sauce recipes on hand to lend variety to my BBQ. This book is all that and much, much more! The depth of explanation about seasoning, rubs, marinades, mops, & sauces gives one the power to create not just follow. It's got the recipes if you're a follower and the knowledge to create a masterpiece BBQ on your own. So what if he is alledged to omit "secret" ingredients - this book will give you the know-how and the encouragement to come up with your own (isn't that what "secret" ingredients and great BBQ are all about?).

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book for serious (and not so serious) barbecuers, May 10, 1998
Paul D. Ferguson (Santa Clara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book is a lot of fun to read and very educational. While it contains a number of excellent recipes for sauces, mops, and rubs, the book's focus is on teaching the reader how to construct his or her own unique recipes. Of the 8-10 barbecue books on my shelf, this is my favorite. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic BBQ book., August 25, 2003
G. Powell (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
While I haven't made all the recipes the ones I have turned out great. The writing is clear, the recipes easy to follow and there is lots of encouragement to get out and experiment. A good solid BBQ cook book.
The basis of the book is, start with this recipe and mess around. Don't worry too much about the exact details. Taste it and modify it to your liking. On that note its been a good book for the kids as they like to "try this!" I use the seven second burn method to limit the amount of pepper. (If after seven seconds you are still ok, you can add a bit more.)
Ok, we have been just whipping though the recipes in this book and have yet to have a miss. This is one great BBQ cookbook. The lemon baste and lemon merinade for chicken is outstanding! That's the last time I ever buy a commerical BBQ sauce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous and very flavorful recipes!!, July 23, 1999
By A Customer
This has to be the best BBQ book I have ever seen. There are so many different recipes and all of them are mouthwatering. Heck, your mouth starts to water just reading them! It is easy to use and there are tips for adjusting or changing the recipes to suit your own tastes. Even tips on what sauces go best with what meat/fish and how long to marinade, if needed.
I love giving this book as gifts because everyone who gets it thanks me everytime they use it.
If you love to BBQ and use your grill, this is a book you will want to have.