5.0 out of 5 stars MACCA ROCKS!!!
Published on November 16, 2006 by Tony Brice

2.0 out of 5 stars Want to see Paul not the audience
Published on November 5, 2006 by Pam

5.0 out of 5 stars MACCA ROCKS!!!, November 16, 2006
Tony Brice (Lafayette, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
I've been a major Beatles/Macca fan since 1967, and I've seen one show from every U.S. tour Paul has done except for the last one, so I was very pleased when I heard about this DVD. Unlike some fans, I actually enjoy the audience shots. It's great to see them enjoying the show as much as I do. I also like the backstage scenes, fan comments, etc. But, I wish they were located in the 'special features'section. It would be great if Paul's concert DVDs covered the entire concerts from beginning to end. But, we live in an imperfect world, don't we?<G> Here's the setlist from the DVD,,,,"Magical Mystery Tour""Flaming Pie""Let Me Roll It""Drive My Car""Till There Was You""I'll Get You""Eleanor Rigby""Maybe I'm Amazed""Got to Get You Into My Life""Fine Line""I Will""I'll Follow The Sun""Good Day Sunshine""For No One""Fixing A Hole""Penny Lane""Too Many People""She Came in Thru The Bathroom Window""English Tea""i've Got A Feeling""Follow Me""Jenny Wren""Helter Skelter""Yesterday""Get Back""Please Please Me" At the conclusion of "Let Me Roll It," the band launches into an instrumental version of Jimi Hendrix's "Foxey Lady." It's a pleasant surprise and lasts about 45 seconds or so. I guess the highlights for me would be "Please Please Me" and "Till There Was You." Rusty's guitar work on the latter really makes the tune. The 'special features' include three tunes from the soundchecks. Paul does a neat cover of "Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On" that would make Jerry Lee proud. The ten minute opening film from the tour is shown in its entirety and there are also a couple of other niceties thrown in for good measure. "Helen Wheels" provides the soundtrack for one of them, and the re-mastering is first rate. The DVD comes with a nice little booklet with photos and commentary. IMO, "The Space Within Us" is a 'must have' for Macca fans. You get a lot of bang for your buck with this DVD. The entire running time is approximately two and a half hours. Not a bad investment for 15 bucks! For those fans who don't care for the fan comments, backstage shots, etc, you can program your DVD player to play only the songs. This will give you almost 30 full-length tunes to enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Want to see Paul not the audience, November 5, 2006
Pam "autumngal" (Fairborn, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I have all of Paul's concert DVD's, I saw him on his 2005 tour but I do not know if I will buy this DVD after watching the A&E special. There were way way too many shots of the audience and the constant changing of camera angles was very annoying. I was looking forward to having video of some of the songs he had not performed before. Instead the TV special had endless shots of people lip syncing, dancing,hugging, wiping a tear from their cheek and mugging for the cameras, people holding up their children and even one airhead waving her cell phone around. Hey I get it, seeing Paul in concert is a very exhillarating and emotional experience. Don't hit me over the head with it. Other concert videos show the audience in concert without destroying the performance. Check out the Moody Blues Live at Red Rocks. Lots of audience shots but not this level of distraction.

I feel bad for people who did not get to see him in concert who buy this DVD. Unless you spend 50-60% of your time watching the audience instead of the stage, you will not get the concert experience. I want to see Paul and his band and keep the camera in one place at least for short interval.

Disappointed!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Is a Concert DVD Impossible?, November 1, 2006
Wouldn't it be nice to put on a McCartney dvd and actually watch a concert? The substantial number of Mac's dvd releases are the same... song performances that often interrupt the talking heads. Interviews in 5.1 are really neat though.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's Time, Paul, to Take a Sad Format and Make It Better, November 14, 2006
John Dowell (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I own all of Paul's concert videos, and this one is--by far--the worst of the lot. The music is fabulous, but the format is awful. It's time for Paul to provide a bona fide concert video. "The Space within Us" is outright tedium, with very few actual shots of the band performing the songs. For the most part, the DVD consists of celebrities and pseudo-cultural theorists talking about McCartney's readily obvious impact upon world culture. And then there are the ceaseless images of fans in various states of ecstasy.

What we really want to see, Paul, is the concert itself. The rest is extraneous. And don't even get me started on the astronauts. . . .

3.0 out of 5 stars Insecurity Blanket...., November 27, 2006
o dubhthaigh (north rustico, pei, canada) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Note to self: when preparing to enter costly divorce, do not have Bill Clinton, Alec Baldwin and Billy Joel extol your virtues on film.

Make no mistake, the music on this DVD is terrific. This is the best band McCartney has worked with since, well, you know.... The trouble with this DVD is that the music is constantly interupted by talking heads gushing over McCartney's well established virtues of being the genuine article who loves to go to work each day and do his job. He was raised that way. It shows, and he's very sincere about that value in his life. I admire him for it. I've seen it loads of times in big and small moments. I don't need to keep seeing it. Message received. Over and out.

In this particular film the intrusions are too much. Carrie Underwood seems to suggest a very private moment has brought her to tears. God bless Macca if it's true, but you don't need that right now either. I loved the performances in the film - it's what Paul does, and it's great. The rest comes off as displaying an insecurity that I hadn't really noticed before. As though he needed to hear how much fans and celebrities thought of him, which is a different angle than previous efforts where he explained his work ethic as a devotion to his fans, the subtext of his looming divorce must have knackered him inside in his guts. He even looks a little edgier at times, which could be the result of dealing with tabloid stories. At first I thought all the testimonials were way too ego-driven, but when you think about why that might be so, the underlying cause is some severe insecurity threatening his sense of self. This is not as self-destructive as Crosby's meltdown in DAYLIGHT AGAIN, but still you see the cracks where they never were before. Post Beatles, pre-Wings, McCartney was retreating to Scotland. What ravages that wrought he put into LIVERPOOL ORATORIO. Now it's all out front and I'm sure he takes a lot of the tabloid fueled speculation personally, as must Mills. Hard to keep your dignity. Thus, with your concert film, you get this salving of the fragile parts.

I don't know what else to do other than copy this disc and edit out Clinton et al in order to enjoy what seems in starts and stops to be a great concert. Wishing Paul and his family the best, inspite of all this, I would also hope that he finds solace in doing what he does best and in the comfort of his children. The lawyers will deal with the rest, and he's been down that long and winding road before.

1.0 out of 5 stars This DVD Blows, March 28, 2007
Looking at the great song lineup, you would think this is going to be an awesome DVD. Now, I'm a very patient person, and can stomach most things. However, after the fourth song, I had to take the DVD out and get rid of it. The problem is, for every 3 minute song, there is maybe 1.5 minutes of the band. The rest is many quick shots of the audience. Grey-hairs trying to dance like the old days (and looking very sad I must say), lovers serenading each other while mouthing the song's words, 50+ year old saggy women dressed like skanks, 2-year olds air-drumming, young women crying,and even some guy head-banging during a mellow song (he must have had headphones playing Metallica). Literally, every few seconds there is a shot of the audience, and the shots are so quick, it gives you a headache. In 10 seconds you probably see 15 different people. I'd much rather see Paul's actual concert than the audience shots which will make you gag. Besides that, after each song there are a couple minutes of documentary and interviews with such Beatle experts as Bill Clinton.(??) So even if you close your eyes and finally get into the song, it suddenly screeches to a halt and you have the 2-minute documentary. Then another song starts....you get the picture. It's a shame. They could have at least had all the documentary footage saved in an Extras file, or at least have a choice to watch the concert only (without audience footage).

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly better than Paul's Other DVDs, November 13, 2006
Ted Fields (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
The good news about this DVD (I got the DVD last week) is that it emphasizes the "new" old songs performed on the tour ("I'll Follow the Sun," "Please Please Me," etc.) and relegates the oft-repeated "Hey Jude" and "Let it Be" to background music. The bad news is that once again each shot of the band lasts only a couple of seconds. Would someone please send Paul a copy of "The Concert for George" ... or even one of Ringo's concert DVDs ... so he can see how these things should be done?

And once again, there are far too many audience shots and too many talking heads telling us how great Paul and his music are. We know, Paul, we know. That's why we're buying the DVD; we don't need to be constantly reminded of it.

Still, it sounds great in 5.1.

3 stars for the overall presentation; an extra half star for the near complete absence of Heather Mills. (You see her in some fleeting shots, sort of the same way Cynthia Lennon was glimpsed in the background of The Beatles First US Visit footage). Also, I wonder how much influence she had in Linda McCartney being almost totally absent from the Wings footage shown prior to each concert? (The pre-concert film is included on the DVD).

4.0 out of 5 stars I've got a feeling...., November 14, 2006
I've got a feeling that if you own his live DVDs from the last 2-3 tours, you've seen it before. To make EVERYONE happy (since someone mentioned that there is so much more than "just the concert" with this release), Paul should copy what was done with "Concert for George".

Disc 1: Paul's version w/fan interaction & extras

Disc 2: Complete Concert w/no fans or voice overs...

This way, you'd get a) the concert that you remember and b) the extras that only Paul can provide. It doesn't seem that difficult, & real fans would pay the extra 5-10 bucks for the 2nd disc...

Gotta wait for the concert video from the 2007 tour I guess:-)

1.0 out of 5 stars The Audience with cameo appearance by Paul McCartney, November 20, 2006
Bruce Wayne (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
I missed this last tour and looked forward to seeing it on DVD. What I did see were shot after shot of the crowd. How many did I need to see of the crowd singing along? How many celebrities did I need to see? It was like Paul saying, "See how many people love me." Your an ex-Beatle and the surviving half of the greatest songwriting team in music history, it's okay, we all love you. The three generational family attending and meeting Paul saga was a 10 on the douche chills meter. When I go to a concert I'm looking at the stage not at the people around me. Keep the crowd shots to in-between songs.

At various points in this DVD the talking heads say how important the audiences are to the show. This is not a Deadhead crowd. There is no need to average over 20 audeince shots per song (and that's with some songs running only a couple of minutes)!! The The highlight of the DVD is in the Extras. Save your money and buy one of the many other Paul concert DVDs that are out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleeease Paul just make a straigt concert video!!!!, November 15, 2006
Paul is great, Paul is good but Paul needs to stop making these kinds of concert video's where there is more audience, blabbing, interruptions than PAUL for g's sake. There are music message boards all over the place after the release of this that are screaming at the ADD affect of this video. He is the greatest living song writer of our time. SO, we want a straight concert video of him singing, etc. Pleeease Paul, put all of the other junk that you feel needs to complete you as a performer on a second video! Everyone will be happy then. And fans can sit back and have an uninterrupted Concert from Paul McCartney sans the other not really,who give a__, people on the planet!!! We don't need anyone to tell us you are FAB. YOU ARE buddie so believe it and hire another director and creative team to give your fans the real deal! MUSIC!!!!

Paul McCartney: The Space Within Us [Blu-ray]
Paul McCartney: The Space Within Us [Blu-ray] by Mark Haefeli (Blu-ray - 2008)
$24.99 $17.89