5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
Published on June 2, 2007 by Working Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall, A Good Performance
I am glad that I have this concert DVD in my library.
Published on February 9, 2009 by M. Hendricks

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 2, 2007
Working Man (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow (DVD)
The disc opens with Free's I'll Be Creepin and first comes the drummer, then bass, then each of the two guitarists enter and join in. First, Heart's Howard Leese and then 17 year old Kurtis Denglar. Denglar's sound blew me away. Then Rodgers enters the stages and with the first line of, "if you're trying to screw me baby..." you know it's going to be an unbelievable show.

Rodgers is flawless and I hope I look as fit as he does when I'm nearing 60 years old (I don't look that good now). The band is excellent, especially Leese and Denglar's solos. I only wish they included my favorite Bad Company song Rock Steady and let Denglar play the opening riffs.

The song selection is heavy on Free material but that's fine because we have In Concert: Merchants of Cool for the Bad Company stuff so it's great seeing the underappreciated Free songs get new life. The essential Free are all pretty much here, Alright Now, Wishing Well, the Stealer, the Hunter, Ride a Pony, Be My Friend, I'm a Mover and my favorite Fire and Water. Once you this DVD and are interested in seeing the original Free you need to get Free Forever.

Finally, another thing I loved about this show is that's about the music (sorry for the cliche) but it's five guys in jeans just playing music. There some very effective basic lighting and no fancy graphic or elaborate stage production. The band is a bunch of guys I could relate to, no over abundance of tatoos or piercings (if any). Just great music.

Keep it going Paul. You're the best and lets get a new cd out soon. We need more classic music from you. You can count on my advanced order as soon as it's available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing DVD of an amazing singer-guitarist-pianist, June 4, 2007
This review is from: Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow (DVD)
Paul Rodgers is the best voice in rock today. Of all the 1960s and 1970s singers, his voice has been preserved the most. It's almost magical how great he sounds in concert these days.

This DVD is amazing. I am the biggest Free fan on earth, and in theory, it's hard for me to watch other musicians play Free's music, but Rodgers' solo band does a respectful, inspired job. The always dependable Howard Leese (from Heart; now with Rodgers since the early or mid-1990s) fires off great, tasteful solos without ever aping or making fun of the late great Paul Kossoff. Rodgers' solo bassist here, a classically trained violinist, does great fretwork on the five-string bass (he has hovercraft feet though - the boy can't stand still. ha.) Collective Soul's drummer is the one behind the kit here, and despite a week's worth of practice (and jetlag), he is great. Fans of Free, Bad Company, The Firm and all of Rodgers' solo efforts should pick this DVD up. The sound is fantastic - levels remain the same, instead of that annoying "dip and peak" level setting that plagues other concert DVDs. This disc will NOT disappoint.

Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Great! Great!, August 1, 2007
This review is from: Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow (DVD)
What's not to like? Pure Rock! Live American rock is great, but one can't ignore that peculiar, not-miss-a-beat sound that British musicians master so perfectly on stage as well. Get it! You won't regret it. It's worth every penny. This will surely be a collectors item soon. Mr. Rodgers shines, and glows with those magnificent vocal treasures he possess. Excellent musicianship by all members in the band as well; including the kid. The sound mix is perfect too. You don't need to raise the volume or adjust anything in your surround system. It's so well balanced that it allows you to appreciate perfectly every note and every instrument played. Watching the close ups on the dual Les Paul attacks sent shivers down my spine. This is the pure, unique Les Paul sound at its finest. Packed with pure Rock from beggining to end this is surely the best rock DVD this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T GET ENOUGH !, February 3, 2009
This review is from: Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow (DVD)
What can you say about the iconic rocker Paul Rodgers, He's had a career that spans over four decades in rock and he isn't showing any signs of slowing down. Rodgers has been the lead singer for three highly successful rock bands Free, Bad Company, the Firm, and now he is the lead singer for one of the biggest rock bands of all time Queen. This 2007 live concert DVD release showcases Paul Rodgers as he belts out an amazing selection of seventeen classics from his huge archive of songs and proves to everyone he's still got it.

The Paul Rodgers 2007 "Live in Glasgow" concert shines the spotlight directly on Paul as he performs seventeen songs one after the other without missing a beat. The performance by Paul Rodgers and his band is absolutely incredible and fans will appreciate every aspect of this show. The musicianship from the entire band is excellent and Paul's voice is outstanding to say the least. While many of rocks lead singers from the 60's have lost an octave or two Paul Rodgers voice has stood the test of time, this guy is just simply amazing to listen to.

From the opening song I'll Be Creepin, fans in attendance quickly realize they're in for a night of awesome music and the band definitely doesn't disappoint them. Eagle Rock Entertainment has to be commended for the job they did with this DVD release; the 1.77:1 widescreen picture is truly spectacular and about as good as it gets. The video image is crisp and clean and the colors are sharp and vibrant. The sound production is excellent and I can't find any faults with the sound options, the 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS are incredible. Whether you're a fan of Paul's early stuff or his solo work, I believe there's a little something here for everyone. My only complaint was the concert didn't include my favorite Bad Company song "Rock n Roll Fantasy" maybe next time. Great Singer! Great Band! Great DVD!

DVD Songs Include:
I'll Be Creepin / The Stealer / Ride on a Pony / Radioactive / Be My Friend / Warboys / Feel Like Makin' Love / Bad Company / I Just Want to See You Smile / Louisiana Blues / Fire & Water / Wishing Well / All Right Now / I'm a Mover / The Hunter / Can't Get Enough / Seagull /

Bonus Material Includes:
- Interview with Paul Rodgers
- Interview with the Band
- Interview with the Fans
- Steven Rodgers - 'Sunshine'

Audio Options Include:
- Dolby Digital Stereo
- Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS Digital Surround Sound

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost unbelievable!, October 24, 2010
strat_lover (Houston,TX USA) - See all my reviews
I am a big Paul Rodgers fan, and when I saw his picture on the cover, I thought this would be a concert filmed in the 80's or 90's. He does not look 60 on the cover, or in concert. I was also expecting his voice to have weakened over the years, and once again I was wrong. This concert is from 2006, and Paul's voice is just as strong as it was when he was in Bad Co. I was blown away by the whole performance, and Paul Rodgers still is "The Voice".

It was great to hear the Free and Bad Co. tunes. They were all done with excellence. I was impressed when Paul played piano on "Bad Company" and was able to multitask both parts so well. The interviews with the band were short, but enjoyable. I could not understand the interviewer who interviewed Paul Rodgers, but I could understand Paul with no problem. I thought his comment about Steely Dan was amusing and surprising.

This Blu-Ray concert is outstanding and fans of Paul Rodgers' projects should not miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Rock Singer, June 15, 2007
This review is from: Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow (DVD)
I watched this DVD in amazement. I have seen Paul Rodgers quite a bit on the last few years and every time I hear him sing, it gives me chills. What a voice, what soul! There is none better.

Since he's moved to Canada, he does mostly Bad Co stuff on tour. This DVD has much more Free material, which I absolutely love. The tempo isn't quite the Free "groove and burn", it's a little too fast, but what a great rendition. The Free songs are magical.

Somehow the Bad Co tunes (particularly Feel Like Makin Love) sound a bit thin, but are still adequate. One misses Mick Ralphs crunching chords here.

The sound and production are superb. There are no special effects here. Just Paul Rodgers singing and playing his heart out with a tight band.

You do miss Koss, Fraser and Kirke from time-to-time in the Free tunes, particularly in "I'm the mover". But the band creates its own path thru the songs, and it is very enjoyable.

If you like flawless singing with a terrific band playing blues/rock, this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen loud !, January 31, 2013
Gilberto Dotti Cesa "gdc" (Flores da Cunha, RS Brasil) - See all my reviews
About Paul Rodgers it isn't necessary talk about. The man writes and sing since 1968. Free, Bad Company,etc.
I want to talk about the excellent video quality.
I want to talk about the excellent sound of the drums played by a furious drummer.
I want to talk about the excellent sound of the two guitars, played by two guitarrists with a difference in them
ages that I suppose is over 30 years. They rock!
I want to talk about the sound of the bass who could be increased in the mix, but it is ok.
Just listen this concert loud. Hard rock-blues on the stage. Almost perfect.
OBS: My equipment is an old but great Aura Amplifier with 66 watts each canal and a pair of Pure Accoustics
Próxima speakers. All analogic, no equalizer, no controls. You can only increase the volume in the amplifier. This
amplifier shows what it receives. And it received a lot of sound from this Blu-ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Rodgers Live in Glasgow is Fantastic!, March 23, 2010
This review is from: Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow (DVD)
This concert was filmed in October, 2006, several months after Paul finished his first world tour fronting for Queen. It was the last show in an eight show tour and it was filmed in Glasgow, Scotland. If you're a Paul Rodgers fan, or are just discovering his music, this is a must-have dvd (and cd.) The show opens with the Free hit I'll Be Creeping and just gets better and better from there. Fans of Free will be pleased that the majority of tunes are from that project. The Stealer, Ride on a Pony, the Hunter, The Mover, Fire and Water and Wishing Well are all included. The band, featuring Howard Leese on lead guitar and a then 17 year old Curtis Dengler on rhythm guitar, Lynn Sorenson on bass and Ryan Hoyle of Collective Soul on drums, are fantastic. The star of the show, of course, is the Voice, Paul Rodgers. Each and every song showcases his fantastic instrument and his ability to interpret and convey the feeling of the song. A few standouts include Be My Friend, a Free tune, and Louisiana Blues and the previously mentioned Fire and Water. Radioactive, from Paul's days with the Firm, is a nice addition, as well as a couple of Bad Company classics and a new song, War Boys. The crowd seems a bit subdued, but then, it is Scotland, so not sure how they normally act; the extras include interviews with Paul and then separately, interviews with the band members and many fan spots, as well. Once you get this concert, you'll enjoy it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars kick @ss concert!, September 18, 2009
This is a kick @ss concert on blue ray, if you loved Paul Rogers, Bad Co. The Firm and Free you will love this. Paul's singing is top notch. I love this DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall, A Good Performance, February 9, 2009
This review is from: Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow (DVD)
I am glad that I have this concert DVD in my library.
The sound is good, the video quality excellent. I wish they had a little more footage of some of the band members while playing. I like the little spots where it shows a guitar player's fingers when playing a great riff, etc. The camera angles change often enough and you get an overall sense of being at the concert. Paul seems to be having a great time.
He pulls songs from his Bad Company years, "Radioactive" from The Firm, and stuff from his Free days. On most concert DVD's like this, I will either read buyers' reviews here at Amazon, or go to Wikipedia to see if I can find the tracklisting. I wish that there was more of Bad Company on this....it might be better to purchase "Merchants Of Cool" for that. Howard Leese (of Heart fame) plays guitar on this outing. There are some clips on YouTube.
Highlights of this DVD are a great performance of "Bad Company", a solo acoustic version of "Seagull", and the interview with Paul in the bonus section is mostly interesting.

Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow
Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow by Tom Grimshaw (DVD - 2007)
$9.99
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.