Paula Abdul - Cardio Dance
Format: DVDChange
Price:$21.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: VHS Tape
What a tape this is! WOW! Paula Abdul really gets your heartrate going, and she is great company to sweat with.At first the dance moves DO seem a bit complex but they are easily mastered and really work your body out. What I like the most is that the warm-up is quick and effective, then Ms. Paula takes you right into the dancing. And how-these are some real funky moves! She takes it slow(and uses an inset box which I find useless), and after a few times you'll get it. If anyone expect to pop in an excerise tape and have to routine after only 5 minutes-you have got another thing coming.After the dance routine, Paula does some real great toning and stretching. The workout really burns in you legs and thighs(hey-it's that "good" burn), and the stretching feels fantastic for you back and legs.If you consider yourself a beginner try Paula's first tape "Get Up And Dance". Otherwise pick you this tape(or DVD!) and get to it.
on April 13, 2000
Format: VHS Tape
This is a instructional video for all who want to have a good workout and the added benefit is learning fun, trendy fast paced dance moves which is incorporated into all of the exercises. The workout is different in that respect than the standard exercise tapes- unlike anything else out there on the market. I'm 18, and I'm very glad I found this video as I would have never had an opportunity to learn those kinds of hip dance moves- I had no idea how fun they are to do and can imagine what I'll feel like once I master them. The moves remind me a little of the dances done in a Christina Aguilera video or that kind. The workout is very good- I was really sweating, yet at the same time it's manageable. As she does the workout in full screen, the footwork is demonstrated in a small square at the bottom of the screen with Paula facing the same direction as me.
On my first try, I couldn't follow much of it and I don't imagine there are many who would be able to without a few practices. Yet don't forget, even professional dance classes require that the dancers practice- if practice was not needed, I suppose no one would take them as there would be no need to. I didn't let what I could not do right away deter me and it shouldn't stop you either as again, almost everything takes effort and practice- even popular Tae-Bo (trust me) :-). When I couldn't follow the moves to this video, I tried my best moving my feet and keeping my heart rate going, not stopping. Yet I can see how it's very manageable where only a few plays of the tape and I'll get down the moves perfectly in step.
Paula Abdul is sweet, her personality is warm and sincere- not at all demanding, arrogant or into herself as you may find in some funk or 'cool' dance tapes. She is the main instructor and there are about 5 other dancers behind her. One thing I will say- I wish the camera men would get out of the way next time ;-) She must have warned them 6-7 times when she was really moving forward to `Get out of the way!'. You would think they would know not to stand so close? The atmosphere is inviting and appropriate as well as the choice of accompaniment music. One minor detail- the tape comes in a nice quality plastic case, not just the basic cardboard as you will usually find.
I recommend this video to all those who want a unique change of pace to their exercising workout. For anyone, experts will always say 3 days a week for maintenance and 5-6 for results, and that should be remembered when picking up any exercise program. Whatever your body type or reason for working out may be, with motivation and perseverance this video should be found to be a success to all. With perhaps only an exception based on age- I'll say honestly while my Mom loves doing Tae-Bo with me, I can't see her doing this one or even liking it. I'm very pleased with this video and once I master this, I may pick up the other Paula Abdul older tape and try that one too.
on January 22, 2003
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I can understand why many of the previous reviewers thought this DVD was too technically difficult to follow. I mean, hey, she was a former Laker girl, for crying out loud. BUT, after only owning this DVD for two whole days, I've gotten the routine down....AND I like it!
Paula Abdul is ever-known for her funky dance style, and she really expresses it in this workout video. Granted, the steps are really hard to follow when you try it out for the first time (like I felt yesterday). However, by the second or third time through, YOU FINALLY GET IT. And you get a decent cardio work out while doing it.
More importantly, I think "Cardio Dance" emphasizes one component of fitness often overlooked by the fitness denizens of today: coordination! I notice when I take dance classes (including this DVD), I feel more nimble and able to tackle other workouts more effectively. Your stability and posture improve, not to mention your confidence.
You may not sweat buckets doing this DVD, but you will improve your foot coordination and HAVE FUN! Paula's enthusiasm is great, and her program is well-choreographed. The ballet-based toning exercises are good, focusing A LOT on "plies", lifts for your calves, and stretches to finish off.
Keep in mind, it's easier to do this DVD on a non-carpeted floor (although not impossible on a carpet as long as you pick your feet up), and you will need a fair amount of room in which to follow the routine.
on January 2, 2002
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
The idea of exercising in front of my television set generally embarrasses me; perhaps I associate exercise videos with dancers in the background squealing "WOOOO!" every time they lift their legs. Paula Abdul's video is wonderfully understated, very challenging, and a true pleasure to dance to. That's the key, though--you're learning a dance and then doing it; you're not repeatedly doing the grapevine and the whatever else they call various aerobic steps. I have a dance background, and I found the routine challenging at first. I just played the DVD twice in a row until I could feel a bit less disoriented and clumsy (and I'm not a clumsy person). I was glad I stuck with it, however, because her moves are really fun and her music is not the least bit annoying.
I did not give the video five stars because, as another reviewer indicated, you need a very large space in order to do the routines adequately. Very few people I know have the kind of space in their living rooms they'd need to do this workout correctly. I just did things diagonally instead of right/left and front/back, but I would have rather not found myself crashing into my table here and my couch there.
One final note: another reviewer found her insert box useless, but I found it very helpful to watch the moves done from the direction I was facing.
on June 26, 1999
Format: VHS Tape
I just bought this video because I had abdominal surgury a few weeks ago and could not keep up my high energy kick boxing schedule (I've been too tired!). I also do not get to go out dancing like I used to, so I thought this would be fun. I was right, this is fun. I watched the video several times before trying the moves and it is taking some time to learn the steps (I don't dare look in the mirror!). Even though I have only gotten through the first section, I am looking forward to completing the video. It gets me warmed up quickly without over taxing and Paula is upbeat and cheerful. I feel happy when I'm done and enjoy the somewhat funky dance moves. My 8 year old daughter likes to watch it too!
PS You will need a large area to get a good workout. Also this workout is hard on the ankles.
on November 19, 2002
Format: VHS Tape
There's an element of masochism in this video: I can see how sweet, petite Paula got where she did in life! She's subtle 4-star General! For that I love it. It makes me smile thinking, as I dance, how scary it would have been to have been a backup dancer in this video and have made a mistake and taken the repremand (said with a grin.)
Digressing...the video is a delight to the eyes with it's understated simplicity; it's cool and refreshing.
You will learn your right from your left in a hurry if you are not a previously-experienced dancer in some very real way. It was hard for me and I've been dancing all my life and won competitions.
You need space to do this video - a bigger than average size room. You can't do it with as much ease on a carpeted surface as you need slide a lot.
Bottom line: this is a dance class, not a work-out video. The cardio is medium, but the mental tango you'll be doing due to professional cueing (you aren't hand-held thru the one, there's no 'learning process' for the steps, and what is demonstrated is done at lightspeed and gets faster from there) will leave you with a very clear impression what kind of dancer you are that day.
Paula's a professional chorographer. Her video reflects her that status, and that's wonderful because there aren't many dance classes to purchase like it. If you are looking to DANCE, you'll be delighted because it takes a week to nail this video and when you do it really flows beautifully and it's great, groovy fun, tho the moves have, now, become somewhat simplistic and a little dated (1998; it's to be expected in any dance DVD).
If you are looking for a modest 'dancy' work-out with easy-to-follow moves, run the other direction. For the average person, this is an 'advanced' dance DVD. Not that that's a bad thing...maybe there's an 'advanced' dancer inside you.
on May 10, 2004
Format: DVD
I love this DVD workout because it doesn't feel like a workout at all. I am not a natural dancer and just trying to follow along keeps my mind so busy I don't notice when I start to sweat. The dance segment flies by. It's about 30 min but it feels more like 10. The second part consists of lower body work that I sometimes skip because I'd rather do other workouts.
The only down side is that this video takes a lot of space to do. Most of my videos only require 6 or 8 ft square while this one is better with at least 10 feet square. I have to modify parts of the choreography to avoid running into the furniture and walls. Also, if you have any chordination at all you will get the dance in the first 5 to 10 workouts. If you have no chordination (like me) it will be challenging at first and the video will keep you entertained for months :). Also the moves are not ones I'd wip out on the dance floor in public, but my rhytm and heart rate are getting better :).
on January 19, 2000
Format: VHS Tape
Paula makes intermediate dance steps accessible to the beginner dancer! This tape is very much like taking a beginning to intermediate jazz/funk class. With gradual increases up to tempo, corner-of-the screen insets showing Paula from the back so you can "follow along" (as most wallflowers tend to do in their first couple of classes), and excellent camera shots, the beginner is given ample opportunity to pick up on her funky moves. The choreography does require a bit of sliding around, which is hard in my carpeted apartment, but it is still very do-able.
The toning section is great, but requires some rewinding for the beginner, since most of Paula's instructions on how to do the stretch correctly were dubbed over the dancers already doing the stretch.
Great for a beginner (with rhthym) who wants to learn classy jazz/funk, or for the advanced student who has taken some time away from dance and wants to get back into the groove!
on May 17, 2004
Format: DVD
Paula is a great dancer, but she does not spend enough time breaking down the dance steps on her DVD. I eventually got frustrated and quit, so I never got a workout. I'm a Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor and have been doing aerobics for years but this workout is not for the average exerciser. If you are into dance and pick up dance step very quickly this may be okay for you.
on January 10, 2006
Format: DVD
This is not one of my favorite workouts because, frankly, Paula Abdul drives me nuts. But it is a fairly intense work out and the stretching section at the end is excellent. I really like her two assistants. I would hire either one of them as personal trainers. I rarely do this one anymore as I have newer ones I prefer. But out of my 15 or so videos, this is still in my top 5.