5.0 out of 5 stars I really like the design
Published 21 months ago by Patricia Brouillette

3.0 out of 5 stars "It's like a breath of spring!"
Published 21 months ago by CodeMaster Talon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars "It's like a breath of spring!", December 25, 2012
CodeMaster Talon (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paula Deen Signature Dinnerware Spring Prelude 16-Piece Dinnerware Set (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So declared my Dad when I brought these Paula Deen Signature dishes home. My parents, both in their 60's, absolutely LOVED the design of this dinnerware, and talked about them for days. My little sister, on the other hand, declared them "ugly as sin" and "like something you would get from Goodwill". She's a bit of a snob, but I mention it in case you, the Amazon reader, intend these as a gift for someone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On to the specifics:

Durability: Most of the dishes arrived with small, hairline cracks--from the shipping journey presumably. They actually seem less sturdy than a delicate butterfly-design set we got from Anthroplogie a few years ago, at the same price point. The dishes are not oven-safe, a major drawback in our view because we never use a microwave.

Appearance and Design: As mentioned, viewpoints differed in our family. I do think the yellow rim of the salad plates and on the bowls is not very pretty. Kind of a dirty mustard color. The mugs, everyone agrees, are the best part of the set, and my Dad immediately took down some deep red porcelain mugs we had hanging above the stove and replaced them with Paula's mugs. I think most people would probably prefer the design of Paula Deen's Tatnall Street dinnerware set as a gift. Less mustard, if you know what I mean.

Value: I think these dishes are overpriced. They are made in China, were lightly damaged on arrival, and are not oven-safe. I would set their price at about half of their full retail. Paula Deen's name doesn't seem worth a 100% mark-up, unless you're a huge fan.

As a final note, the instruction/warning sheet that came with this set was surprisingly obnoxious. It honestly startled me; I've never read anything quite like it. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm docking half a star for it. I wouldn't want to give this dinnerware set as a gift and have the recipient read through that sheet. Odd I know, but there it is. Other people might not notice.

In conclusion, too expensive for what you get, in my view. My Mom is over on the couch yelling that she really likes these dishes, so take my opinion on their look with a grain of salt. The cracks and other drawbacks are facts, though, and should be considered before a purchase. If you like the design on the mugs, check out the Tatnall Street collection. The deep blue floral design is a prettier, I think.

Still not oven-safe though.

GRADE: B-, 3.5 stars rounded down to 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like the design, November 28, 2012
It is a simple design and the colors work well together. The dishes were well made and work well. The best thing of all is that it is both dish washer and microwave safe. That is usually the first thing I look for in dishes. They are sturdy and on the thick side, feels like it could hold up to the trials of everyday use. This is important since I have a 6 year old. Over all I am very happy with this set of dishes, between how they were made and the design. I really like them.

4.0 out of 5 stars It makes for a nice table., December 11, 2012
Leonard Fleisig "Len" (Virginia Beach, Virginia) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before receiving this very nice dinnerware set I had two options when setting my table for dinner: my formal, too delicate for regular use set; and the odd mixed and matched lots of functional but hardly attractive plates and cups and so on that have survived over the years. This Paula Deen dinnerware set now provides me with one more very attractive option.

I like the fact that these plates, bowls, and cups are dishwasher and microwave safe. It makes preparing or reheating informal meals a bit easier and certainly makes the cleaning easier.

I also like the matching and complementary patterns of the set. The plates and cups have the same blue-on-white floral pattern while the salad plates and soup bowls have a nice splash of yellow.

At the end of the day having this set on hand allows me to entertain small groups of guests without worrying about putting out an ad hoc collection of old, mis-matched plates or serving on 'the fine dinnerware' and worrying about breakage and cleaning.

All in all I'm very happy with this dinnerware set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visual Gourmet Eye Candy Plates and Terminator TUFF ^_^, December 15, 2012
When I saw these plates I said OMG these are the best looking ones I have seen through hundreds of dinnerware searching for a set through the Amazon pages. I said to myself I have to have them and see, truly see for myself if its that good.

I am a Prime member so i recieved the dinnerware plates in just 48 hours, boy I am impress how fast it got to my home. For that they get my one thumbs up for fast delivery.

The plates when I took them out they are gorgeous, sleek, colorful easy to hold, you can us them in the dishwasher, microwave and shoot I even put them in the oven to cook a few dishes with no problems.

the plates are easy to grasp, not sleek or slippery enough to slip off your hand but has enough of a surface to grasp them so it won't come out your grasp when handling them.

The cups are nice decorative style is pleasing to the eyes, you can use them for any hot or cold drinks as you please, such as a hot cup of Java or a nice cold drink with ice. It is easy to hold, grasp and when the liquid drink is hot you wont get burned by handling the cup. you can use the cups easy enough in the microwave to warm a drink and use it in the dishwasher machine.

The cereal bowls and the salad plates are so cute they are the same easy to grip, grasp, can be microwaved and dishwasher safe. They are a decent size for any food compliment of the size intended for its use in serving a person a decent well serving size meal.

These dinnerware plates stood up to the rigorous chores of falling to the floor, mishandling on the dinner table, slips, drops and survived without breakage. I dont know if it was intended to take a beating like that without breaking but it is great and I think i am just lucky it took all that punishment without a scratch.

Now the things that bother me a bit but wont subtract from my giving the dinnerware its five star rating that I gave it.

1) The yellow is a bit too loud/bright for my taste. it detracts from the soothing calm blue and white of the dinnerware set. But i take it as a attention grabber for many of my family members, friends and strangers who has visited me and served them lunch or dinner did complimented on the unique colors and design of the dinnerware set. That's why I wont subtract from the five star.
2) The diinnerware set whether it is dinner plate or bowl or salad plate or cups, it is HEAVY for being a porcelain dinnerware pieces but I have to think well it has to be durable enough for it to be microwaved or machine dishwashed or me personally putting them in the oven or even my personal punishment I gave them that it did not break I said what the frack it survived this long without breaking, so I said to myself, what the heck thats no biggie and by the way I take it as a plus for survival.

The Conclusion:
Well if you like a nice soft looking but also attenion grabing dinnerware plates thats is durable, that you can microwave, machine dishwash, can use in the oven and survive a bit of punishment without breakage then this is your set that you have been looking for.

Why take it form me ^_^ Well I am a clumsy happy go lucky cook that most pots and plates break when I handle it and if it survives my form of punishment then it is TWO THUMBS UP for not only design and beauty but SURVIVAL lol ^_^

5.0 out of 5 stars Pass the plate..., December 9, 2012
NyiNya "NyiNya" (It was broken when I got here...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Because the bowl is so much prettier!

The rather anemic blue floral pattern doesn't have much going for it, but the yellow bowls and yellow rimmed salad plates are just lovely and reason enough to buy this set. The mugs are a nice size, just under two regular cups. The handles nice and sturdy. The bowls are fine for cereal or soup or pasta...nice and deep. I'm tempted to buy some oversized navy blue or yellow plates to set them off and am going to keep my eye out for something suitable. But even the plates and mugs, with that nothing-special floral pattern are certainly cheery and bright. The plates have a nice clean-looking shine to them.

This would be a nice starter set for a young woman who is just starting out, or an everyday set for a young couple. Nice for a country house, boat or RV. Or a cheerful breakfast set...of course this would be in that Perfect World, where my breakfast service was not a McDonald's wrapper, and where the maid placed my perfectly boiled egg in front of me just as my husband (George Clooney) decided we needed some champagne in our orange juice and...ooops, sorrry. Where was I? Oh yeah. The dishes.

Anyway, this is just service for four, no extras. But just imagine how some yellow glass serving bowls, or cobalt bue water goblets would jazz up the table. A bright yellow tablecloth, or yellow and white striped placemats, perhaps. I like a well dressed table and these dishes can lend themselves to a variety of different looks. And the price isn't bad either. Filling this set out is going to be fun. Finding George Clooney and dragging him back here without anybody seeing is the tricky part...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, Good Quality Product, December 3, 2012
Stephen W. Templar "rexGun" (Winchester, Virginia - United States of America) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have owned many dishes of different types over the decades. This set of Paula Deen Signature Series is absolutely lovely and quite durable. The comparison is simple: These are significantly heavier than Corelle but feel similar to the touch and look similar to the eye. They get hotter than Corelle in the microwave but not nearly as hot as traditional microwave safe stoneware. Like Corelle, they cool down quickly. These Paula Deen dishes are very nice, they feel good and they look good. I like them much more than my old Corelle dishes and I am happy to have discovered them. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paula Deen Signature Dinnerware Spring Prelude 16-Piece Dinnerware Set, December 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Paula Deen Signature Dinnerware Spring Prelude 16-Piece Dinnerware Set. I like the different colors of blue, yellow and white and different pattern on each piece, it makes the set very attractive. Beautiful contrasting pieces in this dinnerware set that complement each other. I like the large size of the plates and the coffee cup has a large handle making it easy for men to hang on to the cup. The bowls are deep which is superb for cereal, ice cream or even popcorn.The dishes wash well and work well in the microwave.The one thing I did not like was that there were a lot of imperfections in the finish of the pieces. When the food is on the plates you do not see that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and durable, November 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My family is extremely tough on dishes. Having a pre-teen boy and an adolescent girl does that. I presently have a set of eight place settings comprised of 7 different patterns.

When Paula Deen's dishes arrived, my son immediately commented that he likes the design of the bowl. It's deep but not overly so. Nice weight and balance. He was able to eat a heaping helping of Trix without spilling anything. My daughter loved the pattern. It's a beautiful sky blue complimented by a cheery bright yellow. My husband, as usual, didn't notice anything different :)

We put the dishes to use. Microwave? Check. Dishwasher? Check. No chipping? Check. Dog picking up plate in mouth without dropping it? Check.

The retail price is a bit steep but I would gladly pay buy another to make a complete eight piece set with the same pattern. The durablity of the dishes can't be beat. Nicely done, Ms. Deen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going for a set...., November 13, 2013
Absolutely love the whole set and so happy to be able to get serving dishes to match. I plan on ordering another set.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, September 18, 2013
The entire set of dishes is beautiful, the colors are great! The plates are slope upwards so gravy does not run off the plates! I LOVE these dishes!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›