4.0 out of 5 stars Two Spoons Up for This Book!!
Published on December 5, 2005 by J. Smyth

3.0 out of 5 stars Reprinting of Paula's First and Third Books
Published on November 4, 2005 by B. Marold

3.0 out of 5 stars Reprinting of Paula's First and Third Books, November 4, 2005
This review is from: Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady & Sons, Too! (Hardcover)
'Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics' combines between one pair of covers, all the material in her earlier 'The Lady and Sons' cookboods, but not including her desserts book. I give this volume only three stars as a warning to all readers who already own one or both of Ms. Deen's earlier works. I may have been just a bit more generous if the editors had merged the two books' recipe by type, but they simply smacked the two books together with no matching up soups with soups and veggies with veggies and so on.

I am also sort of fond of the earlier publications, as they have the classic 'church cookbook' binding which neatly lays flat on the table as you have both hands full with spatula and measuring spoon.

So, let the buyer beware of this REPRINT! To Paula's credit, she is not hiding this fact, but, as with Mark Bittman's reprinted volumes, it is easy to be too eager for a new volume from a favorite author and leap before looking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Spoons Up for This Book!!, December 5, 2005
J. Smyth "Nursehug" (Tyner, NC United States) - See all my reviews
My family needed something new and creative for dinner. I have been watching Paula on the Food TV Network and have enjoyed her true southern cooking and hospitality. In this book she shares personal stories and the meaning behind several of her ideas and recipes. It's nice to know how the idea was created. I ordered this book because it stated it was a combo. of the other 2 books. With limited space, I like the idea of less books. My family has truly enjoyed ALL of the recipes served so far. The Mac & Cheese is the BEST I have ever eatten in my life. Several of my son's friends have eatten at my house and ask when they can come back. What a variety of recipes in this book. Simple instructions and common household products. You don't have to go out and spend a small fortune for one dish. This is a Must Buy. Two spoons up!!

5.0 out of 5 stars just plain good cooking, June 10, 2006
If you're into gourmet cooking, don't buy this book. If you love plain old down home cooking, and you're not afraid of a little butter, then this is the book for you. I'm buying two as gifts for summer brides, because Paula includes some very basic recipes (like Gooey Butter Cake) as well as some more detailed recipes. I haven't tried anything that hasn't come out terrific, and I've been cooking for 35+ years. A lot of my old favorites I knew as a kid are in there, and it's just nice to have them written down. I keep this cookbook handy on my counter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paula Deen, June 28, 2013
I bought this for my wife as a gift and to show support for a gracious lady who is unfairly crucified in the media. I have made several of her recipies in the past and have immensely enjoyed every one.

Mrs Paula....."illegitimi non carborundum"

5.0 out of 5 stars A good combo book of 2 of Paula's best books, April 26, 2007
This book combines two of Paula's best books together. Thus, this book is packed with loads of information.

**Please note that there are not any photos...But then , when combining two volumes, I doubt that Paula had any room or money left to fit-in tons of photos too!

Recipes are very easy to duplicate. Paula's writing style if fun to read.

PS: Please note that Paula loves butter. Those of us that watch her TV show know this, as she is very open about her "love of butter". So plz do expect that many of Paula's recipes include butter. However, if you are watching your weight and counting your fat intake, I would advise to just cut the butter portions ,and that Paula's recipes will still hold-up well.(I've tried this method and it works).
For those of you that love butter and are thin enough to be able to eat it often, then this cook-book will not alter your regular cooking style.
Either way I think that any cook will find this cookbook helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars A show of support, June 27, 2013
I'm not a Paula Deen fan - I avoid cooking mostly but she needn't apologize for telling the truth. I sent this off to a friend who will use it - bought it to show my support. This is just another shakedown - people looking to get their hands on her money.

Checked out the table of contents and the introduction - the recipes look delicious and I'll enjoy eating them while someone else prepares them! The best of both worlds!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Paula, June 28, 2013
Paula's recipes are to die for! I cannot believe all the bad press she's getting over admitting to saying ONE bad word 27 or 37 years ago. Show me one human that is better. I will buy every book she's ever written AND boycott anyone that continues to trash her! This world is getting evil and twisted!

5.0 out of 5 stars good everday cookbook, August 14, 2006
i own this and have given many as gifts. east to follow great recipes you expect from paula.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delectable!, March 14, 2006
B. Wright (Alexandria, AL USA) - See all my reviews
Fannie Flagg said it best "I could have eaten the book". I am Paula's biggest fan and have all the books. This one is the best one yet! I spent days reading every page. In the narrative pages, you can just hear her voice as you read the pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday cooking, January 31, 2006
C. Ward (Plainfield, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I love this cookbook. Paula has a way of making everything just taste great. All the recipes are made with items that you shop for on a weekly basis. You won't go wrong with this book...

$29.95 $19.86