5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!
Published on December 2, 2009 by Kiran M. Chhabria

3.0 out of 5 stars I almost wish I hadn't read it
Published on April 25, 2012 by Fiona Leonard

3.0 out of 5 stars I almost wish I hadn't read it, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Paulo Coelho: A Warrior's Life: The Authorized Biography (Kindle Edition)
I could write an entire blog on A Warrior's Life. I'm a huge Paulo Coelho fan, so I was really looking forward to reading this book. In retrospect I realise I had wanted to read about someone who could have been drawn from one of his novels - a noble, wise character who has a troubled life and then receives enlightenment and goes off to make the world a better place. The real Coelho, is, well, real. He's a hedonistic, obsessive drug taker, sometime satanist, wracked by depression and driven by an obsessive desire to become an internationally renowned writer. Wealth, women and fame are chewed through on his path to achieve that one goal. In the tales of his early life, it is hard to find much to like beyond his incredible commitment to his writing. When he reaches the turning point in his writing career - through a mystical encounter at the Dachau concentration camp - I was desperately hoping that this would be his road to Damascus moment, and Coelho would transform into the man of vision that his writing suggests he should be. I was left, however, with the niggling suspicion, that he had merely hit upon the way to achieve the commercial success he'd always dreamed of. Does it change the way I will read his novels? Possibly. I'm still processing this one. It's a well written book, but in many ways I wish I hadn't read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, December 2, 2009
Paulo Coelho is one of those writers whose books stay with you long after you've finished reading. "Veronica decides to die" is one of the most absorbing books i've read, and my all time favourite quotes is from The Alchemist- "Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure. You've got to find the treasure, so that everything you have learned along the way can make sense." His books talk about love, life, sex, human suffering, man's search for God, spirituality.... they talk of everything that I'm most curious about, and if his sales records are to go by, as are Millions of people. Yet, the most fascinating book about Paulo's thoughts is ironically not written by him at all. "A Warrior's Life" is SUCH a remarkable book about the author that completely grips you from start to finish. His birth, his childhood, his dabbling in black magic, his initiation into white magic... I promise you, his story is more fascinating and fast paced than any of his books! And nothing is held back too... his personal diaries which he wanted to burn after his demise have all been opened up for the biographers use. And tales of him practically torturing a poor soul and treating him like a slave (and calling him one too!) and experiences of him and his current partner "experimenting" while whipping each other, etc etc... Nothing has been missed out.

What I found especially interesting was the background stories to each of his books. How he came up with the story, how he was guided to write each one, what personal demons was he trying to face or what amazing experience was he wanting teach, when writing every single book of his. Once you end this book, if you are a Coelho fan, you will surely want to go back to the beginning and re-read every single book published by him. Since I'm an aspiring writer too, I was especially drawn to his method of writing (two weeks for each book!) and marketing tactics. A must read for all writers out there!

I feel so drawn to him and his life after reading this. I really can't recommend it enough!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 6, 2010
I had already read several of Paulo Coelho's books and have always devoured his books. It was nice to read the authorized biography as it allowed me to understand why he wrote some of the books I read and to put a very real feel to an incredible author. It is also very nice to see a person overcome many obstacles and still live his dream and be very successful. Many people would have given up long before Paulo had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Any library where Paul Coelho's writings are popular must have this, February 21, 2010
Paul Coelho: A Warrior's Life provides an authorized biography of the author of THE ALCHEMIST and covers his entire life, from his birth in Brazil and survival against all odds to his struggles with mental illness, prison time, and more. He rediscovered his faith in 1986 as he walked a medieval pilgrim's route between France and Spain, and this life-changing experience would result in writings that achieved world-wide recognition. Any library where Paul Coelho's writings are popular must have this.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, January 23, 2013
If you're a fan of Coelho's works, skip this autobiography. The author seems to hold his subject in great contempt, repeatedly calling him ugly (which is disproven by the included photos) and listing in boring detail things like every single poor grade received in school, while mentioning significant life events only in passing. So poorly written, I had to speed-read over many tedious passages and read between the lines of the poorly-explained life transitions to get to the meat of what actually occurred in Mr. Coelho's formative years to lead him to become the person he is today. I can't imagine why this book is the authorized version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paulo Coelho Warrior's Life, June 16, 2011
I love this book! It has so much in it, Paulo reveals everything, it's a chance to meet the author, to know the author. Some say it's a shocking book, but I will say for me it brought me closer to one of my favorite authors. His battles, his determination to become who he is, his ups and downs, he really fought hard to become who he is. And why 5 stars is the limit anyway, I would give it more! Thank you Paulo!

3.0 out of 5 stars Balanced and shocking portrait of the beloved author, August 8, 2013
Journalist Morais indulges the reader in pointillistic detail in this biography of Coelho. Often regarded as a modern day prophet, Coelho's life bears resemblance to the typical hero myth, albeit set in the hippy milieu of the 1960s. He was born dead and was revived under miraculous circumstances. He demonstrated remarkable talent in his youth, suffered modern trials in the form of psychiatric hospitalizations, encountered helpers that provided him with tools (theater, drugs, witchcraft) for his journey, and finally realized his destiny. Morais refrains from glorifying Coelho and even interprets his subject's neurotic superstitious behavior as obsessive compulsive disorder, though it is likely that many of Coelho's readers will share his magical-religious way of perceiving the world. The development of Coelho's familiar body of work isn't addressed until the final quarter, where we learn, for example, that <The Alchemist> was originally written as a theatrical script. While his most devoted fans will have read in other sources about Coelho's forays into rather emblematic sixties pursuits: Satanism and witchcraft, polyamory, and drugs, Morais successfully fleshes out Coelho as a personality for his disciples and detractors alike. This will undoubtedly be a popular book in the libraries and bookstores where Coelho's work is appreciated

5.0 out of 5 stars What a life, May 4, 2013
Natalie Goldston (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Once I started reading this book, couldn't put it down. All of his books leave you thinking for days and have such an impact.

1.0 out of 5 stars Paulo Coelho: A Warrior's Life: The Authorized Biography, February 13, 2013
Nothing wrong with the contents BUT i think the book has been kept in store/warehouse for far too long. When you flip through the book, you can't even read it comfortably as it carries a very irritating smell. After just less than 10 minutes, I actually tossed the book away...........there go my investment. Luckily, the other 3 books are ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand Paulo, November 25, 2009
Pilar "Pilar" (Zaragoza, Spain) - See all my reviews
I don't understand why Paulo decided to open his life like this. Having said that, BRAVO PAULO!

Rate and Discover Movies