5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best show on Television
This is the only show I watch regularly because I learn about collectible items, about the pawn business, and negotiating. It is set in Las Vegas and is truly watchable and unique. The show is corny and unintentionally funny but the episodes are well constructed and edited which keeps your interest and the characters are genuine.

Rick Harrison is the main...
Published on February 19, 2010 by jdubs55

1.0 out of 5 stars not closed captioned?
Love this show. But, the DVD I had for season 1 wasn't closed captioned. Disappointing since I couldn't watch it since I can't hear.
Published on January 30, 2011 by kelli1843

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best show on Television, February 19, 2010
jdubs55 (Falls Church, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)

Rick Harrison is the main character of the show. He is a competent and likable guy who laughs at his own jokes. He has the most screen time each show. Often people have items that he does not know the value of, and they have to call an expert in to appraise it. Rick has a bunch of experts who probably wish they never met him because he constantly calls them, but that is what makes the show interesting. The funniest thing is that the expert then appraises the item right in front of the seller. Rick's negotiation style is to listen to what the customer wants and then counter with 40% of whatever they want. So if they want $100 he offers $40 and then talks about how the item is deficient, how he has to make a profit, blah blah blah. Then whether he buys the item or not they have a cut away interview with him and he'll say, "This time the price wasn't right so we couldn't make a deal."

Old Man is the patriarch of the family and by far the best negotiator. It does not matter what price the seller wants for an item, Old Man acts like he is offended, surprised, and automatically says "no way." He is such a tough bargainer that I don't think I have ever seen him actually buy anything. If it wasn't for Corey and Rick they would have an empty store. Also, he keeps a big calendar by his desk so we know exactly the month of the show, so the Christmas show was going on and his calendar said "October".

Corey is the youngest and likable enough because he has so much disdain for the people who come in his pawn shop. He is perpetually buying things that need massive restoration. A guy will come in with a big block of aluminum with fiber glass sticking out of it and say it was an expensive plane that caught on fire and that if restored will be worth major money and he wants $4000.00 for it. Then Corey will buy it for $5,000 and then we get the drama with his dad, Rick. Then Rick will be in a cut away interview and act upset and be like "Corey needs to learn that he can't buy crap like this." And then Corey will say, "But it will be worth a million dollars once we get it restored." Lulz. I like the restorers though especially if it's a boat because then we see Bill the boat restorer who talks funny. He will say: "Dish boat ish a clashick, back in da day dish was cutting edgish."

Chumlee is reality TV comic relief driftwood. People will bring in an item that is old like a record player or something and he will make the same Old Man is Old joke. "Hey Old Man, this guy has..um... your ... um.. childhood ipod here...huh huh." Anyway, best show on TV, check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like history, you'll love Pawn Stars!, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
I'm not a big fan of reality TV, in fact, this is the only reality television that I watch, and I love it. Recently, the whole fam was seated in the living room watching this show and my daughter said, "You know who Rick looks like?" And I paused and couldn't come up with anything. Finally she said, "He's Homer Simpson come to life. Look at him - he looks just like Homer!"

I love Rick even more now. :)

The show is such an interesting sociological study for so many different reasons. There's an awesome and interesting family dynamic between hardworking Rick and "The Old Man" and the always-had-everything-handed-to-him third generation son "Corey." I've read that many successful family businesses die off at the third generation. Seems the first generation (Hard-working Dad) and the second generation (Hard-working son Rick) remember those lean years and tough times and appreciate the value of a dollar and the joy and satisfaction of success. And then when the third generation comes along, all they've ever known is abundance and having everything they ever wanted dropped in their avoirdupois lap.

Enter stage left Corey.

It's fun to watch the show, but I cringe when he comes on screen. It pains me to hear how he talks to "The Old Man." Maybe he's a swell, upstanding, hardworking kid and the bratty kid spiel is part of the "show." I hope so. Gosh, I hope so.

Aside from that, it's a fascinating insight into the hidden treasures stashed inside American attics and garages. It also proves that you should be careful about tossing out "old junk." Several times, visitors to the shop explain that they found their treasure in a trash pile somewhere.

Excellent show, and presents a piece of American history in a most intriguing way! And personally, the first season is the best. There's a naturalness in that first season that I especially love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Family Loves Pawn Stars, August 30, 2010
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
This is a great show because it is one of very few shows that our WHOLE family loves to watch and we always watch together. My kids are 11 and 13.
Pawn Shop is funny to watch because the family who run the shop are so amusing. Best though is (for us as parents) one learns a lot while watching. All kinds of things come into the pawn shop everyday. These guys know a lot about history and so we, the viewers, learn about antique coins, WW1 uniforms, ancient weapons....just to name a fraction of all the stuff that comes into the pawn shop. If no one knows about an item a prospective seller brings in, the pawn shop guys will call in experts and we all learn something together in a really fun way. LOVE THIS SHOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Funny and very educational AAAAAAAAAAAA++++++++++++, March 15, 2010
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
I just love this series about a Pawn Shop in Las Vegas! It is the American version of those stuffy BBC Antique road shows but is a whole lot funnier and just as educational. The "Old Man" is just outroariously funny as one Crusty Old Dude, his son is a font of information and Hoss is a barrel of frustration dealing with those two handfuls. I won't even go on about Chumlee as comic relief. As they would say The History Channel hit one out of the ball park with this one! I just hope that this series continues for a good long time! (I gotta get out to Las Vegas soon to see these guys asap)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pawn Stars, January 19, 2010
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
Love this show. I like how Chum-lee (the full size guy) always buy junk from people at a high price only to be yelled at by the old man. Too bad this is only season 1 though...Buy this show, its fun and maybe you will learn something too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to see the difference between then and now, January 13, 2012
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
One of my sons got me hooked on "Pawn Stars" but I didn't see the first couple of seasons. The show, as it currently airs on TV, is about a world famous pawn shop that does half of its business with tourists. In the newer shows, they'll buy anything as they've built up a reputation for having offbeat and different items. In these episodes from the start of the series, it was a little different. Some things they wouldn't buy as they had no market for it and some items they would only make halfhearted offers on. Also, at the start of the series, they'd have to travel to see the experts whereas now the experts come into the pawn shop to appraise items. It was more like a typical pawn shop in the beginning and it is interesting to see the difference.
Also on this 2 DVD set are some shorter clips not on the TV show that are fairly interesting. They total about one episode's worth of material and hard core fans will love having the exclusive clips.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Chumlee would say...Awesome!, July 7, 2011
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
This 2-DVD set presents the complete 14 episodes from the debut season. In addition to the individual shows, the second DVD features bonus material, including brief introduction bios for the Old man, Rick, Bigg Hoss, and Chumlee; pointers in distinguishing between real and fake items; and some bonus footage of customers bringing items into the shop. For the average fan of the show it's a nice addition to their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 10, 2010
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
I bought this dvd for my husband because he watches this show all the time and loves it!
We recently went to Vegas, and visited the shop, they were all out of this dvd, and he was disappointed because he wanted one very bad, so once we got home, I ordered it from Amazon, and wrapped it up for Xmas. I know hes going to be thrilled once he opens it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these guys!, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
I love that show, along with American Pickers. Chumlee is a riot and the guy who restores the old Coke machines should have a show of his own. (Did you hear that History channel? Another home run!) Anyway, I watch it because the guys help me improve my picking skills when I am at garage sales. What I find at garage sales, I flip on Ebay, usually for good money. Check out my blog at:

[...].

You'll be surprised what I find and flip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment and quite funny, July 16, 2010
This review is from: Pawn Stars: Season 1 (DVD)
I got hooked on this show as soon as I first saw it on the History Channel. Unfortunately I missed many of the earlier episodes, mostly because of the late starting time. This is the best way to catch up and avoid the commercials at the same time. This show is so much better than the antiques roadshow. With this you get to see items being appraised and purchased that the average person might have tucked away in a closet as opposed to old chairs, furniture and fine art on Roadshow. The pace of the show is fast and the dialog is entertaining, thanks to the very good chemistry of Rick the owner, the old man, rick's son and his friend Chumley. They are a likable group. I prefer watching these guys any day over those two obnoxious characters on the other History Channel show, American Pickers. If you're really interested in the collectibles market this is well worth purchasing.

Pawn Stars: Season 1
Pawn Stars: Season 1 by History (DVD - 2010)
$14.98 $8.64